HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 17, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #781 of 4,488
Which were the last five albums you put on your various set ups ? Please dont say Eagles or Celine Dion.

Actual albums, rather than test tracks playing with the HEDDphone earlier ...

But today ... Tubular Bells (went back to it after a week of going through all of Mike Oldfield's work in chronological order), Norman ****ing Rockwell (Lana Del Rey), Leather (Tori Amos), Atomic Blonde OST, Sweet Dreams [Are Made of This] (Eurythmics).

Jan 17, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #782 of 4,488
Actual albums, rather than test tracks playing with the HEDDphone earlier ...

But today ... Tubular Bells (went back to it after a week of going through all of Mike Oldfield's work in chronological order), Norman ****ing Rockwell (Lana Del Rey), Leather (Tori Amos), Atomic Blonde OST, Sweet Dreams [Are Made of This] (Eurythmics).

The Jessye Norman version of Bizet's Carmen is up next ...
Thxs

Jan 17, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #783 of 4,488
The power output of the SPL xe is higher compared to the TT2. The HEDDphone probably sounds better on a SPL xe + DAC than on a TT2 which would also save some money for many people.
Without meaning to be hostile, I consider this an unfounded conjecture. It seems to be based on the power rating. I will say: enough is enough... more than enough for every headphone save for some exotic current eaters. The power needed for say 105 dB is the same for both and still way below their reserves. If I had to guess, I would say the TT₂ will sound better, as it has the superior DAC concept with an «amplification stage» bordering on a wire without gain – short signal path taken to extremes. The analogue output stage is in fact the precursor of a series of «DX amps» (also called digital class A amps) which according to the developer will be absoutely free from colorations. Add to this that the power is provided by some supercapacitors, so power supply is probably ultimately fast for power peaks.

Now the tonal synergy with the Heddphone is another story, in fact unpredictable. Just so much: It's hard for an ultimately honest electronics component to shine with every single sound transducer, as ultimate signal purity accompanies with unforgivingness to tonal flaws in the chain. (Therefore my approach is to use an equalizer instead of a coloring amplifier – which makes the need for component synergies [read: compensating or masking flaws] obsolete.)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #784 of 4,488
The power output of the SPL xe is higher compared to the TT2. The HEDDphone probably sounds better on a SPL xe + DAC than on a TT2 which would also save some money for many people.

Well, these are facts that can be known. As I read the Phonitor specs, it outputs 2.9W at 50 (47) ohms. TT2 outputs 1.5W SE and 6.0W balanced at 50 ohms, so decide what you need.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #785 of 4,488
Well, these are facts that can be known. As I read the Phonitor specs, it outputs 2.9W at 50 (47) ohms. TT2 outputs 1.5W SE and 6.0W balanced at 50 ohms, so decide what you need.

The symmetrical output of the TT2 is designed to drive passive or very sensitive speakers. Chord basically rejects the symmetrical technical expansion because production costs want to be saved.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #786 of 4,488
Great announcement, Kopf.

Look forward to hearing more impressions from Torq.

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #788 of 4,488
Kept seeming email notifications all day about this thread and couldn't wait to read it tonight thinking there were going to be plenty of initial listening impressions from those who received their HEDDphone. Unfortunately, nothing to do with the HEDDphone. I guess this is a DAC thread now, so I'll be sure to post my impressions elsewhere because I wouldn't want to derail the thread.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #789 of 4,488
Kept seeming email notifications all day about this thread and couldn't wait to read it tonight thinking there were going to be plenty of initial listening impressions from those who received their HEDDphone. Unfortunately, nothing to do with the HEDDphone. I guess this is a DAC thread now, so I'll be sure to post my impressions elsewhere because I wouldn't want to derail the thread.

Though a bottle of snake oil has more heft in this Forum than any of my opinions, I would quite agree with you. 2 pages worth of DAC/AMP parroting is quite annoying- if not downright childish. And almost none of it related to the Heddphone itself!

Honestly, all I truly want to know is:
•Are these enveloping?
•Are they worth the couple Benjamins above the Arya?

The reviews are nearly-opposite in these aspects, and there is simply no way I'm driving 300 miles down to the nearest store that might have these for demo. But I digress.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #790 of 4,488
Though a bottle of snake oil has more heft in this Forum than any of my opinions, I would quite agree with you. 2 pages worth of DAC/AMP parroting is quite annoying- if not downright childish. And almost none of it related to the Heddphone itself!

Honestly, all I truly want to know is:
•Are these enveloping?
•Are they worth the couple Benjamins above the Arya?

The reviews are nearly-opposite in these aspects, and there is simply no way I'm driving 300 miles down to the nearest store that might have these for demo. But I digress.
Havent received mine yet, but should be getting them by the end of Jan or somewhere in the beginning of FEB. Don't have the Arya, but I do have the HE1Kv2.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #791 of 4,488
Havent received mine yet, but should be getting them by the end of Jan or somewhere in the beginning of FEB. Don't have the Arya, but I do have the HE1Kv2.

Isn't the Arya a rebranded HEKv2 in a gorgeous, modern black body (aside from slightly different padding and the obvious Modern/Urban/Utilitarian style instead of their typical Luxury, Land Rover-esque style)?
Now that sounds like a popcorn-worthy comparison. Definitely something to look forward towards.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #792 of 4,488
Isn't the Arya a rebranded HEKv2 in a gorgeous, modern black body (aside from slightly different padding and the obvious Modern/Urban/Utilitarian style instead of their typical Luxury, Land Rover-esque style)?
Now that sounds like a popcorn-worthy comparison. Definitely something to look forward towards.
To be honest, I have no idea about the Ayra, at all.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #793 of 4,488

To be honest, I have no idea about the Ayra, at all.

Wait, so you guys are complaining about the OT and proceed to post several messages about other headphones not at all in comparison to the HEDDphone? At least the DAC posts were relevant to potential pairings. We’re all waiting for impressions, so it’s all good. :beerchug:

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #795 of 4,488
We're talking about the HEDDphone in comparison to other headphones, not DACs & amps. Read this post again.
But one can not say that this headphone sounds this and that from a dap and another says it sounds just ok from a SE amp/dac , then another tells you it sounded great but didnt mentioned his system cost 15,000 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back