HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 18, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #811 of 4,481
For some weird reason I can't say no to golden drivers, and these look like a wonderful example of an all-gold galore (the other two being HE6 and Susvara). I think I'm gonna get a pair based on the fact alone the drivers look golden and is able to squeeze more air than either planar or dynamic.

That aside, my impression of these at AES 2019 has been positive. The prototype sounds very good.

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #813 of 4,481
Go get them!
I would go get them if I wasn't in the middle of a snow storm. I'll just have to live vicariously through others until Monday.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #814 of 4,481
Thanks for posting first impressions, but what on earth does this mean?

I’m still trying to figure that out myself. I can’t explain it yet. They have properties of both. The detailed, yet not harsh, treble of the 800S. But the linear bass of a planar, especially high quality sub bass that is always lacking in open back dynamics.

I’ve never heard acoustic guitar sound so good. It’s the most realistic representation I’ve heard with headphones.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #815 of 4,481
These are more transparent than the 800S. The sound and stage seems to be very track dependent. They can sound very wide with no 3 blob bulls$@t. Every inch is filled in. But they can sound very intimate as well. I love the wide stage of the 800S, but it can’t do small venues as well. For example, listening to Chris Stapleton in a tiny dive bar sounds like he’s in a small hole in the wall somewhere. The 800S still puts him in at least a concert hall.

But, “Gates of Eden” by Bob Seger, sounds like he’s performing at an outdoor concert the size of Woodstock with the HEDDphone. That track is marvelous with these. The power chords sound clear, massive, and have beautiful overtones.

Again, these thrash the 800S in terms of sub bass. These rumble like the HEK series by Hifiman. Loving them so far!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #816 of 4,481
Heddphone AMT Driver.jpg

I detect some modding potential.

...It’s the most realistic representation I’ve heard with headphones.
So far this is my finding with my (equalized) HE1000se.

Not sure when the Heddphone will be auditionable/available at my dealer.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #817 of 4,481

I detect some modding potential.

So far this is my finding with my (equalized) HE1000se.

Not sure when the Heddphone will be auditionable/available at my dealer.

Yeah I loved the HEKse when I owned it. But the upper treble can be a little bright and harsh at times. The HEDDphone treble is absolutely amazing with the ability to be both smooth and yet ultra detailed. My only sonic complaint so far is that there is a midrange boost somewhere around 1-3K that I’d rather just be flat. It’s a blessing and a curse though. It can make some vocals sound amazing, while some will sound a little shouty.

But I will say this, well-mastered material sounds just incredible. But I still have a lot more listening to do. These are all very early impressions.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #818 of 4,481
I’m still trying to figure that out myself. I can’t explain it yet. They have properties of both. The detailed, yet not harsh, treble of the 800S. But the linear bass of a planar, especially high quality sub bass that is always lacking in open back dynamics.

I’ve never heard acoustic guitar sound so good. It’s the most realistic representation I’ve heard with headphones.
Your last sentence sounds very interesting and promising for my preferences which are the most realisitc representation of acoustic instruments and the human voice.
What about piano and strings like violin and cello?
Cheers CC

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #819 of 4,481
Wow, just listening to the demo unit I got today. Headamp is a Questyle CMA 600i and source a Lector Strumenti CDP 707 - which is nothing less than a match in heaven. Especially with EDM, which I have never experienced that natural, liquid and organic. If those cans weren't that heavy I would like to dance with them.

Bass has an absolute fantastic authority and slam while it is perfectly defined, slightly elastic and fast. Something special has to be mentioned about the translucent texture of the bass. Sounds to me like there is a third dimension HEDD invented. In opposition the mids come up light, fluid and beautifully transparent, which for me is a fascinating pairing with the strong bass. The mids presentation is simply effortless, nothing screams for attention - everything is just there and pearls out easily. Treble shows great resolution and finest microdetails but doesn't bother me at all although I am absolutely treble sensitive.

Soundstage: did someone say they sound closed in? For me they are wide open, at least partially. Some instruments and effects appear and dissappear out of and into the deep and wide nowhere while others are located directly in your head. Still everything seems perfectly integrated into the whole presentation, the stage seems endless. Lots of air between the instruments! Again I feel no planar or dynamic headphone has ever shown this variability in depth but I agree to those who say the heddphone appears like a cyborg that grabs the best from all technologys. Simply amazing - I am just listening to Scubas "Claustrophobia" for the second row and still cannot believe what my ears are getting to know, really holding my breath not to miss any detail.

The overall signature for me is full and rich in texture and also, sorry for that, kind of futuristic. Never have enjoyed my music that much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 18, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #822 of 4,481
@Hifiearspeakers
It looks like your wife has the headband positioned at it minimum, correct?

Yes. But she wasn’t actually listening. I just used her as a demo. Trust me when I tell you my head is not big and I need a few more clicks of expansion for these to really be comfortable. Apparently, Hedd Audio is aware of the headband issue and will be taking care of it soon. I think anyone who owns the HEDDphone and wants the bigger headband, will be able to get one in the future.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #823 of 4,481
Yes. But she wasn’t actually listening. I just used her as a demo. Trust me when I tell you my head is not big and I need a few more clicks of expansion for these to really be comfortable. Apparently, Hedd Audio is aware of the headband issue and will be taking care of it soon. I think anyone who owns the HEDDphone and wants the bigger headband, will be able to get one in the future.
Wonder if the next batch will come with the larger extension headband. I'll keep you posted on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back