HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 18, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #827 of 4,472
It looks like the cable is not the one out of the box. What is it?
I don't know if that cable is the stock cable, but the REAN female mini XLR's are made by Neutrik. I know because I ordered them to make a balanced cable, but they're on back order from B&H Photo so I haven't received them yet.

EDIT: Bold refers to the stock cable shown in the photos by @Hifiearspeakers

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #828 of 4,472
Can anyone compare this more closely to the LCD-4z? HD 800 is not really the competition here...

As a former owner of the 4Z, the HEDDphone is better everywhere, because it has the much more even frequency response and wider soundstage. They’re both heavy, but the HEDDphone is more comfortable. And the HEDDphone earpads are easily removable and aren’t glued/adhered on like Audeze pads. They both do a great job of detail retrieval, but the HEDDphone does it for over $2000 less...

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #829 of 4,472
IMG_20200118_161940 - Copie.jpg
MVIMG_20200118_181950 - Copie.jpg

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #831 of 4,472
Jan 19, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #832 of 4,472
Yeah I loved the HEKse when I owned it. But the upper treble can be a little bright and harsh at times. The HEDDphone treble is absolutely amazing with the ability to be both smooth and yet ultra detailed. My only sonic complaint so far is that there is a midrange boost somewhere around 1-3K that I’d rather just be flat. It’s a blessing and a curse though. It can make some vocals sound amazing, while some will sound a little shouty.

But I will say this, well-mastered material sounds just incredible. But I still have a lot more listening to do. These are all very early impressions.
It will be interesting to me at least of your opinion after you accumulate hrs on them.

And yes I'm aware of the statement "The HEDDphone® does not require a specific burn-in period.", however I have noticed a smoothing and balancing effect after ≈ 20+hrs. of run time. And I suspect this will continue…

And I also suspect your after market cable has changed their sonic signature as well.
Might I suggest you use the 'stock' cable and compare them?

And if I were to start modding these HEDD'rs, the cable would be at the top of the list of 'must do' things and for multiple reasons, besides using better wire and better connectors etc.

But then I can't help myself as the tweaker gene has been active for far to long now, and there is no known cure… hahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #834 of 4,472
I would be happy if some owner of the Arya/HEK will do little comparison with these. But the Arya seems like better buy to me comfort, universal use etc..

It’s too late for me to give an in depth review. But these are simply better than the Arya, HEK V1, and HEK V2.

The biggest problem with those Hifiman models is that Hifiman doesn’t dampen their drivers at all. So if you look at a CSD graph, it is one big mess. The drivers just don’t want to stop when the signal ends, so you end up with numerous resonances that mask details and blur some sounds.

The HEDDphone just sounds a lot cleaner. It is more precise, like the Sennheiser 800S.

So consider this: It only costs a little more than the Arya, but way less than the HEK’s, yet sounds better than all of them, in my opinion.

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #835 of 4,472
It’s too late for me to give an in depth review. But these are simply better than the Arya, HEK V1, and HEK V2.

The biggest problem with those Hifiman models is that Hifiman doesn’t dampen their drivers at all. So if you look at a CSD graph, it is one big mess. The drivers just don’t want to stop when the signal ends, so you end up with numerous resonances that mask details and blur some sounds.

The HEDDphone just sounds a lot cleaner. It is more precise, like the Sennheiser 800S.

So consider this: It only costs a little more than the Arya, but way less than the HEK’s, yet sounds better than all of them, in my opinion.
Then eq

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #837 of 4,472
Nice impressions.

So this sounds better than the $3000 Hifimans? Not to mention, to me, it looks much better, looks like it is built much better, it is made in Germany, and costs much less too.
Made in Germany has never = reliable.

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #839 of 4,472
Nice impressions.

So this sounds better than the $3000 Hifimans? Not to mention, to me, it looks much better, looks like it is built much better, it is made in Germany, and costs much less too.

I am a big fan of the HEKse, but its treble can be a bit bright. The HEDDphone’s upper mids bother me a little, but a lot less than the HEKse treble.

So the deciding factors end up being that the HEDDphone is way better built, costs $1600 less, and does sound better overall to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back