HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 9, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #601 of 4,488
Fellow metalhead here to!! Niiileeee!!
I'm not exactly a Metalhead, although I do enjoy some classic rock and likes of EBM / industrial electronic music as well. That said, I actually thought the HEDDphone was very well suitable for rock music, one of my biggest impressions when was when I was listening to Nirvana's Nevermind on PrimaLuna Evo 200 tube amp. Uncanny imaging an instrument separation to boot.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #602 of 4,488
Have any SR1a owners heard the Hedd? To me the SR1a really sets a new standard, but is impeded by the amp requirement. The Hedd is drivable by a strong headphone amp, so it is a winner if it approaches SR1a levels of performance without requiring a speaker amp.
In my humble and personal opinion the SR1a doesn’t hold a candle to the HEDD. Especially because one of the two actually has frequencies below 60hz and doesn’t do any sort of bass with excessive amounts of 3HD.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #604 of 4,488
Despite the weight, I am serious considering. I'm always in the market for something that will provide much more air around instruments, Also like speed, refinement, and ability for the music to "float in air". To get most of this for $1800 is a no-brainer so here's hopin'..

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #606 of 4,488
Would love some more details when comparing to utopia and 1000se...

Comparison to the HE1000se from his Utopia review:

"This one is difficult, because while the Utopia has distinctly superior tonal balance for the treble (not as splashy above 12khz), the HEKse does also have incredible technical performance. Detail retrieval is very close between the two, but the stage and imaging for the HEKse is in a class of its own. Instrument separation is also superior on the HEKse, and that’s likely just because it’s a planar, but the overall experience is truly incredible once you EQ down some of the over-emphasized splashy quality above 12khz. With that said, the Utopia has better build quality and a more traditional design where the cups don’t protrude down your neck like they do for the HEkse. These are both incredible headphones, and I’d be happy with either, but for those who don’t want to EQ anything, the Utopia is much more realistic sounding."

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/focal-utopia-the-king-of-detail-review

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #610 of 4,488
Have you compared the two? What differences do you hear?
Directly? No. From memory? Yes.

As for differences, you’re asking me for the difference between two radically different headphones with completely different results. In fact, the RAAL doesn’t really count as a headphone; earspeaker would be more apt, not that that’s a good thing anyways.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #611 of 4,488
Directly? No. From memory? Yes.

As for differences, you’re asking me for the difference between two radically different headphones with completely different results. In fact, the RAAL doesn’t really count as a headphone; earspeaker would be more apt, not that that’s a good thing anyways.
I was hoping you'd elaborate on "the SR1a doesn’t hold a candle to the HEDD". You mentioned something about response below 60Hz, but reviews I've seen indicate that both have excellent bass extension.

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #612 of 4,488
I was hoping you'd elaborate on "the SR1a doesn’t hold a candle to the HEDD". You mentioned something about response below 60Hz, but reviews I've seen indicate that both have excellent bass extension.
The SR1a most definitely does not have excellent bass extension. I mean, just based off of the acoustic design, the lack of a sealed front volume will instantly tell you that. Hence I expressed my disdain for earspeakers - earspeaker and bass extension don’t go together.

As for everything else, well, I just dislike most things about the SR1a. I dislike its overly bright, shrill and aggressive tuning even when fully closed (when open it’s near unlistenable), I dislike its grainy timbre, I dislike its poor textural resolution in the lower mids and bass, I dislike the fit, I dislike the not-quite-a-speaker-nor-a-headphone presentation that for whatever reason the K1000 (and I’m presuming the MySphere too because that’s made by the same folks) doesn’t have issues with, I’m just not a SR1a fan. Not my thing at all.

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #613 of 4,488
In my humble and personal opinion the SR1a doesn’t hold a candle to the HEDD. Especially because one of the two actually has frequencies below 60hz and doesn’t do any sort of bass with excessive amounts of 3HD.
Yeah the SR1a is the only TOTL HP that makes the HD800 sound like a bass cannon. Just not for me. Since I listen to the AMT tech every day with my Adams A5x, I have a good understanding what the HEDD can do and as long as it isn't uncomfortable for me, I will probably love it.

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #614 of 4,488
Yeah the SR1a is the only TOTL HP that makes the HD800 sound like a bass cannon. Just not for me. Since I listen to the AMT tech every day with my Adams A5x, I have a good understanding what the HEDD can do and as long as it isn't uncomfortable for me, I will probably love it.
lol yeah, I don't care what the design is, if I am plunking down $3000 and I can't even get proper bass extension to at least 20 Hz... I'm not sure that's acceptable. There's a lot of hype surrounding SR1a and I've heard it briefly, but this fact alone kinda disqualified it as a modern high end headphone for me. Anyway, back to HEDD, which I haven't heard

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #615 of 4,488
HEDD has delivered and how! BRAVO:clap:
This thread has now reached the temperature of a thermal explosion. When a blood sun rises tomorrow I will sit back and enjoy this spectacle. After the release of the HEDDphone the SR1a is only electronics scrap. Ready for recycling, but please take your bike for the love of nature on the way to the recycling center.
By the way, HEDD posted Resolves first impressions video on their facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/HEDDaudio/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back