HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Dec 20, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #3,676 of 4,489
Quick question: Is the mini-XLR pin out on the HEDDphones the standard configuration? I have some custom cables for my ZMFs/Audezes I'd like to use, if so.

It is not, the polarity is reversed. You can use Audeze cables but it will inverse the phase, which most people in this thread who have tried it said is not an issue with these AMT drivers. In other words, the wiring is different, but it kind of doesn't matter, and you can still use those cables.

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #3,677 of 4,489
Quick question: Is the mini-XLR pin out on the HEDDphones the standard configuration? I have some custom cables for my ZMFs/Audezes I'd like to use, if so.
I think it’s not uncommon for polarity to be reversed on headphones (left and right) as opposed to out of phase with each other, which would be bad. You shouldn’t be able to detect a difference and the same cables with work.

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #3,678 of 4,489
It is not, the polarity is reversed. You can use Audeze cables but it will inverse the phase, which most people in this thread who have tried it said is not an issue with these AMT drivers. In other words, the wiring is different, but it kind of doesn't matter, and you can still use those cables.

I think it’s not uncommon for polarity to be reversed on headphones (left and right) as opposed to out of phase with each other, which would be bad. You shouldn’t be able to detect a difference and the same cables with work.

Interesting. Thank you both for the responses. Would the result be similar to the phase switch on a subwoofer?

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #3,680 of 4,489
As long as both sides have the polarity reversed you should have no problem. The issue is when only one side has it reversed then they will be out of phase and will sound really weird.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 20, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #3,681 of 4,489
Interesting. Thank you both for the responses. Would the result be similar to the phase switch on a subwoofer?
It would be doing the same thing as the subwoofer switch, but since they are headphones, you shouldn’t notice a difference. On the subwoofer, it’s to try to integrate with the speakers and room, and one polarity may produce better bass than another.

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #3,683 of 4,489
Short answer:
They are almost the same and work.

Only difference:
The HEDD‘s are wired in inverted phase (reversed wires) for both cups.
This means both cups still are in same phase, therefore this is inaudible most of the time.

A lot of headphones run like this e.g. the whole STAX line.

On my RME ADI-2 Pro there is a switching option for Phase Invert both channels, I did try it extensively:
Depending on the music track a difference is audible, e.g. on double bass and bass drum.
Not necessarily normal phase sounds better all the time, sometime inverted was preferable.
In my experience for about 50% of recordings absolute phase is inaudible, for 35% normal phase and for 15% inverted has the edge.

This is in coincidence with my experience in the recording studio, where we try to take care of this, and e.g. the bassdrum usually is: first pulse = positive, and other instruments are aligned to this.

The difference is not night and day, you need to know what to listen to, to recognize it.

I wanted to avoid any misunderstandings, so long answer to a simple question, sorry.

Dec 21, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #3,684 of 4,489
Short answer:
They are almost the same and work.

Only difference:
The HEDD‘s are wired in inverted phase (reversed wires) for both cups.
This means both cups still are in same phase, therefore this is inaudible most of the time.

A lot of headphones run like this e.g. the whole STAX line.

On my RME ADI-2 Pro there is a switching option for Phase Invert both channels, I did try it extensively:
Depending on the music track a difference is audible, e.g. on double bass and bass drum.
Not necessarily normal phase sounds better all the time, sometime inverted was preferable.
In my experience for about 50% of recordings absolute phase is inaudible, for 35% normal phase and for 15% inverted has the edge.

This is in coincidence with my experience in the recording studio, where we try to take care of this, and e.g. the bassdrum usually is: first pulse = positive, and other instruments are aligned to this.

The difference is not night and day, you need to know what to listen to, to recognize it.

I wanted to avoid any misunderstandings, so long answer to a simple question, sorry.
Thanks for taking the time to write that. Great info there and quite interesting to read.

Now that I think about it, I have a phase reversal button on my Yggdrasil. I guess that would put me back at "normal".

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #3,685 of 4,489
hey guys just wondering what are u powering these heddphone, dac amp combo. maybe some photos too. :)
PSX_20201002_221248.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back