HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Dec 7, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #3,661 of 4,488
There are passages I’m hearing that I don’t hear with my other headphone. How can this be? Are they better than my other cans or are they just different?
Cannot say. It seems to be a Heddphone thing. They are awesome at detail retrieval and separation without sounding metallic or harsh. I never seem to miss anything in the sound yet it is engaging

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #3,662 of 4,488
I’m using low impedance and high power settings on the WA5 LE 2nd edition with volume close to 12 o’clock. This amp also drives my LCD-4s big time. Seems as though letting the headphone settle in helped tremendously.

Originally, I had the WA5 set for high impedance and low power and that didn’t provide enough juice for the Heddphone.
I see that you own a VC as well.
Being that u own both, how does the HEDDphone compare timbre wise?

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #3,663 of 4,488
Personally, I think they’re both close but I give a slight edge to the VC. The VC to me just sounds just a bit better but the HEDD reproduction of piano notes seems a bit more realistic and it’s faster in all aspects.

There is something about the VC…maybe it’s due to the wood cups and maybe thats why the timbre is better. It’s as if it’s a musical instrument itself. The VC to me is romantic in terms of the music whereas the HEDD is more holographic.

The HEDD narrowly leads in the way the music is presented such as in staging and width without any harshness in the upper ranges whereas the VC can get a little harsh but it’s nothing major. Also, personally I believe the HEDD resolves better. They’re uncanny in that area. The VC goes deeper and I wish the HEDD could play deeper but that’s subjective. For some the bass on the HEDD may be enough. I just want more. The crazy thing is you really don’t miss it because they’re so cohesive in all frequencies which is rare.

Also, the VC has more slam and punch but that’s related to the dynamic driver being used.

I like them both because they sound different in positive ways.

Please note I’m still learning the HEDD as this is just an early impression of them but for $1900 they punch above their weight.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #3,664 of 4,488
Personally, I think they’re both close but I give a slight edge to the VC. The VC to me just sounds just a bit better but the HEDD reproduction of piano notes seems a bit more realistic and it’s faster in all aspects.

There is something about the VC…maybe it’s due to the wood cups and maybe thats why the timbre is better. It’s as if it’s a musical instrument itself. The VC to me is romantic in terms of the music whereas the HEDD is more holographic.

The HEDD narrowly leads in the way the music is presented such as in staging and width without any harshness in the upper ranges whereas the VC can get a little harsh but it’s nothing major. Also, personally I believe the HEDD resolves better. They’re uncanny in that area. The VC goes deeper and I wish the HEDD could play deeper but that’s subjective. For some the bass on the HEDD may be enough. I just want more. The crazy thing is you really don’t miss it because they’re so cohesive in all frequencies which is rare.

Also, the VC has more slam and punch but that’s related to the dynamic driver being used.

Please note I’m still learning the HEDD as this is just an early impression of them but for $1900 they punch above their weight.
WoW, thanks for the detailed response!
Makes me really tempted to hear the verite 😅

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #3,667 of 4,488

My findings were very similar. The HEDDphone excels at pianos, string and wind instruments, and does pretty well with vocals. It's also liquid smooth across the entire frequency spectrum. Not a hint of harshness anywhere, but still loads of detail. I find that detail retrieval comes at the cost of dynamics a bit, though. Everything is presented more or less at a similar volume.

They're definitely not very punchy most of the time, as you said. I found some tracks with lower bass slam that did alright, but it's not consistent. Overall the bass was just a touch warm, and not as controlled and detailed as a few other cans I've tried. AMT doing good bass is still a novelty, and may take some more years of refinement.

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #3,668 of 4,488
My findings were very similar. The HEDDphone excels at pianos, string and wind instruments, and does pretty well with vocals. It's also liquid smooth across the entire frequency spectrum. Not a hint of harshness anywhere, but still loads of detail. I find that detail retrieval comes at the cost of dynamics a bit, though. Everything is presented more or less at a similar volume.

They're definitely not very punchy most of the time, as you said. I found some tracks with lower bass slam that did alright, but it's not consistent. Overall the bass was just a touch warm, and not as controlled and detailed as a few other cans I've tried. AMT doing good bass is still a novelty, and may take some more years of refinement.
Yes!
Wind instruments 🎺 are mind blowing on the HEDDphone!!!!

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #3,669 of 4,488

I like your impressions better.💯

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #3,670 of 4,488
At least lower impedance doesn't seem to be much of a problem, these work excellently on the Burson C3R with it's 0.5 ohm headphone output impedance.

I would like to hear more about this pairing as I'm quite interested in these headphones and I own a Burson C3R and Playmate 2...

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #3,671 of 4,488
Took delivery of the Heddphones this afternoon, took them out of the box and fired them up.

The immediate impression that I had was I‘m not feeling them and couldn’t understand the hype for these. They sounded totally flat but maybe it was me because the notion I had was to send them back. I didn’t get it. The reviews were good and these were reviews from headphone industry leaders. So, I bought in.

Instead of sending them back the plan was to let them run for a few hours and then get back to them and I’m glad I did because the disappointment was real.

My impressions have changed and burn in must be a real thing but like I said earlier maybe it was my mood but they sound different and now I see it.

They’re good and I mean real good. The music to my ears sounds holographic, with a sense of uncanny realism and pace. There are passages I’m hearing that I don’t hear with my other headphone. How can this be? Are they better than my other cans or are they just different?

They’re just different in the way they convey the music and I appreciate that. These are keepers for sure.

Luckily, I don’t have comfort issues with headphones no matter how heavy or cumbersome they are because it’s the way I listen. My way is to recline back and just tune out.
Burn in is just a psychology matter. Even then Hedd said that Heddphone does not need any burn in time. It is written down in the broucher added to the box of Heddphone when You buy it :wink:

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #3,672 of 4,488
Burn in is just a psychology matter. Even then Hedd said that Heddphone does not need any burn in time. It is written down in the broucher added to the box of Heddphone when You buy it :wink:
It’s all subjective and sometimes a manufacturer can be wrong. There are companies that do believe in burn-in and it’s sometimes written in their literature.😉

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #3,673 of 4,488
It’s all subjective and sometimes a manufacturer can be wrong. There are companies that do believe in burn-in and it’s sometimes written in their literature.😉
Yes, like I sai, It is a matter of psychology or as some say psycho-acoustic matter. It is very subjective just like You said :wink: never mind. I glad You like Heddphone coz they are great cans

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #3,674 of 4,488
I would like to hear more about this pairing as I'm quite interested in these headphones and I own a Burson C3R and Playmate 2...
It's imo a great match, the C3R has the power the Hedd requires and strikes a nice balance of detail and a tiny bit of added warmth and punch which are very complementery to the Heddphones signature.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #3,675 of 4,488
Quick question: Is the mini-XLR pin out on the HEDDphones the standard configuration? I have some custom cables for my ZMFs/Audezes I'd like to use, if so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back