HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Dec 6, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #3,646 of 4,489
Yeah I don't know what they were thinking loading over 700 grams of weight on a thin headband. I had to strap some foam to the underside using velco strips, but then the cups didn't reach as far down and would sit on my earlobes a little.

I was never fully able to solve the comfort problem. Definitely hopeful for the next generation HEDDphone though
Agreed, I just hope that the next-gen HEDDphone incorporates a head strap that we can purchase and use to improve our existing ones, resell values of these aren't great due to the known discomfort levels. Plus, I think I could be happy with the sound quality for a long time if they were just made more comfortable.

This headphone is an absolute flagship echelon performer relegated to complete obscurity due to the maximum failure of designing a comfortable headband to support the ridiculous weight.

It's shameful.
Totally agreed. There must be a way we can improve this ourselves though, either by adding padding etc, or by totally dismantling the strap and starting again. I have a spare strap (courtesy of HEDD as part of a warranty repair) and I'm happy to try anything out/modify it..... if anyone has any ideas....?

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #3,647 of 4,489
Took delivery of the Heddphones this afternoon, took them out of the box and fired them up.

The immediate impression that I had was I‘m not feeling them and couldn’t understand the hype for these. They sounded totally flat but maybe it was me because the notion I had was to send them back. I didn’t get it. The reviews were good and these were reviews from headphone industry leaders. So, I bought in.

Instead of sending them back the plan was to let them run for a few hours and then get back to them and I’m glad I did because the disappointment was real.

My impressions have changed and burn in must be a real thing but like I said earlier maybe it was my mood but they sound different and now I see it.

They’re good and I mean real good. The music to my ears sounds holographic, with a sense of uncanny realism and pace. There are passages I’m hearing that I don’t hear with my other headphone. How can this be? Are they better than my other cans or are they just different?

They’re just different in the way they convey the music and I appreciate that. These are keepers for sure.

Luckily, I don’t have comfort issues with headphones no matter how heavy or cumbersome they are because it’s the way I listen. My way is to recline back and just tune out.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #3,648 of 4,489
Ok, since writing the above, tonight I got frustrated enough to get a bit physical with my HEDDphones!! Have those of you who find the HEDDphones uncomfortable noticed that the bottom of the earpads are clamping in much more powerfully than the top? That was the case for me, so I decided to see whether I could even things up.....I pushed the metal extension tabs as far as possible into the plastic housings inside the head strap and then grasped those metal tabs from the outside of the head strap and with my other hand on the frame which goes around the speaker, applied a large force to bend the tabs/earpieces outwards. in fact I did this several times, testing all time....I have to say, the result is less pressure on the area below your ears, so, as the pressure is evened out over the surface of the earpiece, the head strap is more straight/level and so I'm not getting such a pinch point on the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, it's not the end-game, but I'm experiencing a considerable improvement. I'm now wearing the HEDDphone without the Geekria sock and without the leather strap and it's bearable. For the first time!

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #3,649 of 4,489
Took delivery of the Heddphones this afternoon, took them out of the box and fired them up.

The immediate impression that I had was I‘m not feeling them and couldn’t understand the hype for these. They sounded totally flat but maybe it was me because the notion I had was to send them back. I didn’t get it. The reviews were good and these were reviews from headphone industry leaders. So, I bought in.

Instead of sending them back the plan was to let them run for a few hours and then get back to them and I’m glad I did because the disappointment was real.

My impressions have changed and burn in must be a real thing but like I said earlier maybe it was my mood but they sound different and now I see it.

They’re good and I mean real good. The music to my ears sounds holographic, with a sense of uncanny realism and pace. There are passages I’m hearing that I don’t hear with my other headphone. How can this be? Are they better than my other cans or are they just different?

They’re just different in the way they convey the music and I appreciate that. These are keepers for sure.

Luckily, I don’t have comfort issues with headphones no matter how heavy or cumbersome they are because it’s the way I listen. My way is to recline back and just tune out.

Definitely, burn-in had one of the most drastic effects on the HEDDphone over just about any other headphone I've owned. I had the same feeling you did where it sounded good, not great, but then after burn-in the sound seemed to just literally open up. It's like you could almost hear how constricted the drivers sounded before loosening up.

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #3,650 of 4,489

what devices are you driving it in? what's your dac amp?

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #3,652 of 4,489

Same here. It has a interesting "burn-in" phase. Similar disappointments in the first couple sessions as well - very flat, dull. The more I listen to it the more I am impressed.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #3,653 of 4,489
I’m using the Directstream DAC and WA5 LE 2nd edition amp.
wa5 2nd gen might not giving it justice as hedd needs alot of power. max power of your amp is in the 600ish mW at 42ohms. If your woo wa5 is 1st gen you could have utilized the speaker taps on the back. Unfortunately, you got the 2nd gen which doesn't have the speaker option.

Try using other amps. even the low price topping amp has 14watts of total power and could potentially drive it easily.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211207-105725_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211207-105725_Drive.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #3,654 of 4,489
wa5 2nd gen might not giving it justice as hedd needs alot of power. max power of your amp is in the 600ish mW at 42ohms. If your woo wa5 is 1st gen you could have utilized the speaker taps on the back. Unfortunately, you got the 2nd gen which doesn't have the speaker option.

Try using other amps. even the low price topping amp has 14watts of total power and could potentially drive it easily.
I’m using low impedance and high power settings on the WA5 LE 2nd edition with volume close to 12 o’clock. This amp also drives my LCD-4s big time. Seems as though letting the headphone settle in helped tremendously.

Originally, I had the WA5 set for high impedance and low power and that didn’t provide enough juice for the Heddphone.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #3,655 of 4,489
I’m using low impedance and high power settings on the WA5 LE 2nd edition with volume close to 12 o’clock. This amp also drives my LCD-4s big time. Seems as though letting the headphone settle in helped tremendously.

Originally, I had the WA5 set for high impedance and low power and that didn’t provide enough juice for the Heddphone.
yeah, maybe need a little bit of getting used to (and burn in just like they said).

If you have another amp, you might wanna try it also. One thing I can say is that it is difficult to drive, not susvara-kind of drive but at 87dB, definitely not easy Quoting from one of the reviewers:

"Here you need serious power, because the sensitivity with 1 mW is only 87 dB. It is common to see the high 90s or even the 100s, which means that these headphones need around a ten to hundred times more powerful amplifier than the average!"

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #3,656 of 4,489

That’s if he is using the 1/4” output.
Using the 4 pin XLR it provides 8 watts @ 120 ohms. That should be more than enough.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 7, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #3,657 of 4,489
oh yeah. I missed that 8watts part. yeah definitely more than enough. I dunno why I missed seeing that. My bad.

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #3,659 of 4,489
it says even the 1/4 output has 8 watts. So both are good. (just basing on the specs).

Maybe I need a little bit of "burning"? If you read early users of this headphone, some had a hard time loving it at first but after hours of use, their assessment turned positive.

Although I don't believe it needs one because as soon I used it, I fell in love with it.

Currently using it right now so to speak. :)

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #3,660 of 4,489
some had a hard time loving it at first but after hours of use, their assessment turned positive.

Although I don't believe it needs one because as soon I used it, I fell in love with it.
It’s a gorgeous sounding headphone and holds the pride of place in my collection.
It has been, so far, the only pair of cans that had me go wow ! the first time I used them. It handles every genre I throw at it with grace.
Just needs some good Dac with a powerful amp to get the cans firing on all cylinders.
Sound quality wise Hedd has smashed it out of the park in their first attempt.

They should address the comfort issue (weight isn’t a problem for me) though and offer solutions to existing customers.

I use some standard headphone strap covers held in place using Velcro straps and they have alleviated the pressure to a high degree.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back