HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Oct 25, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #3,632 of 4,480
I just received my Hedd's and my initial impressions are excellent. I'm running them through a Kinki Studio THR-1 headphone amp, which I bought as a match for the Hedd. So far so good, although the Kinki needs 300 hrs burn-in to sound it's best apparently! Dac duty is limited at the moment to an IBasso DX300 until my main gear arrives.
I find the Hedd's generally more comfortable than I expected, although for longer listening sessions I suspect a few breaks will make things more comfortable. Not a big deal for me as I usually only listen for 1-2 hrs per session typically. My main headphone amp (DNA Stratus) is currently on a boat heading for my new home in New Zealand. I'm not sure if that amp will properly drive the Hedd's, but I suspect they'll do ok with 1.8W into 50 Ohms. Time will tell, but at least the Kinki is a good back up. My other cans are the Sennheiser HD800 and Mr Speakers Ether Flow (open). Will be interesting to do a comparison when they arrive!

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,633 of 4,480
I just received my Hedd's and my initial impressions are excellent. I'm running them through a Kinki Studio THR-1 headphone amp, which I bought as a match for the Hedd. So far so good, although the Kinki needs 300 hrs burn-in to sound it's best apparently! Dac duty is limited at the moment to an IBasso DX300 until my main gear arrives.
I find the Hedd's generally more comfortable than I expected, although for longer listening sessions I suspect a few breaks will make things more comfortable. Not a big deal for me as I usually only listen for 1-2 hrs per session typically. My main headphone amp (DNA Stratus) is currently on a boat heading for my new home in New Zealand. I'm not sure if that amp will properly drive the Hedd's, but I suspect they'll do ok with 1.8W into 50 Ohms. Time will tell, but at least the Kinki is a good back up. My other cans are the Sennheiser HD800 and Mr Speakers Ether Flow (open). Will be interesting to do a comparison when they arrive!
Until I was able to source a balanced cable to use the HEDD with my ridiculous preamp/speaker amp rig, I had to run my Deckard in 20db gain mode to get proper juice, and that's ~4W class A (not sure what exactly into 50 ohms).

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #3,635 of 4,480
L

Could anyone suggest what headphone stand for protec Hedd pad ?
Thank you
I use the Woo Audio stand. More important, I think, is angling the Heddphone so one pad rests gently in the other, without too much pressure:

Attachments

• 98C828BD-AA46-4AE6-AEE2-8D6199A9AD06.jpeg
    98C828BD-AA46-4AE6-AEE2-8D6199A9AD06.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #3,636 of 4,480
I use the Woo Audio stand. More important, I think, is angling the Heddphone so one pad rests gently in the other, without too much pressure:
Clever! That'll also relieve some of the pressure on the cable too.

I use an Audioquest Perch and it's decent for it.

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #3,637 of 4,480
My pair arrived over the weekend. Want to share some of my impressions. Highly personal.
Setup: iPad Apple music - Bifrost 2 - JBL Nanopatch - NAD M22v1
Genres - Metal(Prog/Tech death like) - 60%, Rock(Instrumental/Radiohead like) 30%, Classical/Jazz 10%
Other headphones - HE6 (6 screw), Ultrasone proline 750

1. Analytical. Every instrument can be easily separated, with textures.
2. Personally best Classical/Jazz experience ever. vs HE6 better sound stage, layering, timbre.
3. To me it works better for prog/instrumental work - better timbre, the fastness and separation gives it more "snyc" and "precise" feel.
4. Can be too fast when it gets dense(Archspire etc.).
5. For more traditional death/thrash metals with plenty riffs the HE6 has more energy and attack, more engaging, and a bit more "warmth". To me HE6 is TOTL at that, and not fair for HEDD.
6. To me there is plenty bass and good texture. I hope there is a bit more attack. -again, might be spoiled by HE6 there.
7. Great feature of correcting sitting posture. My neck can tell immediately if I am slouching.

Someone on reddit mentioned to press the top part of the driver toward head, almost have it leaning towards the head, like the 1266 style.
I found myself enjoying it more that way. hard to describe why. Anyone else?
Thinking some additional thickness to the bottom of the ear pads as a mod.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #3,638 of 4,480
Someone on reddit mentioned to press the top part of the driver toward head, almost have it leaning towards the head, like the 1266 style.
I found myself enjoying it more that way. hard to describe why. Anyone else?
Thinking some additional thickness to the bottom of the ear pads as a mod.
I press the top part of the driver in towards my head as well when putting them on, seems to place them at a better angle for seal and comfort.

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #3,640 of 4,480
One of my plastic clips has been broken for almost 2 months now and no response from Hedd. First I emailed them then fairly recently tried the contact form on their website.

Strange, they answered me in a few hours when I had the same issue and offered to send me new parts.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #3,641 of 4,480
Strange, they answered me in a few hours when I had the same issue and offered to send me new parts.

Same. I used the contact form on their website.

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #3,643 of 4,480
I've owned my pair of HEDDphones since Feb21 and I'm loving them. But OMG have they got the design of the head strap wrong in my opinion. I can't believe in all their testing that they didn't have some people complaining about the lack of comfort/sheer pain. The strap needs to be broader to distribute the weight over a larger area and really well padded......I've tried the leather strap off eBay, which was an improvement, but currently I've removed that and have a rather ugly sock-like thing on it with a pad at the bottom, made by Geekria. Again, this is an improvement, but I'm still finding it uncomfortable.

Anyway, the point of my post is just to find out what the rest of you are doing to alleviate the discomfort? I haven't read all 243 pages of this thread although I have read a lot of it, have I missed anything?

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #3,644 of 4,480
I've owned my pair of HEDDphones since Feb21 and I'm loving them. But OMG have they got the design of the head strap wrong in my opinion. I can't believe in all their testing that they didn't have some people complaining about the lack of comfort/sheer pain. The strap needs to be broader to distribute the weight over a larger area and really well padded......I've tried the leather strap off eBay, which was an improvement, but currently I've removed that and have a rather ugly sock-like thing on it with a pad at the bottom, made by Geekria. Again, this is an improvement, but I'm still finding it uncomfortable.

Anyway, the point of my post is just to find out what the rest of you are doing to alleviate the discomfort? I haven't read all 243 pages of this thread although I have read a lot of it, have I missed anything?

Yeah I don't know what they were thinking loading over 700 grams of weight on a thin headband. I had to strap some foam to the underside using velco strips, but then the cups didn't reach as far down and would sit on my earlobes a little.

I was never fully able to solve the comfort problem. Definitely hopeful for the next generation HEDDphone though.

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #3,645 of 4,480

This headphone is an absolute flagship echelon performer relegated to complete obscurity due to the maximum failure of designing a comfortable headband to support the ridiculous weight.

It's shameful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back