HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #2,311 of 4,472
I don't know if you know this test yet. It is very short, but the diagrams are still interesting.

Yes, I'm still deciding whether to buy or not. The weight is really deterring me. The sound of what you read would really excite me! But that insane weight!

https://crinacle.com/2020/04/27/heddphone-review-noveau/

On the figures of this link we also clearly see the 6Khz hole and the missing pressure under 50hz.. Which can both be adjusted without any ear detectable distortion. As I said, maybe we can lower a bit high frequencies to feel nearer a IEM neutral target (not necessary, but can make the sound more usual with other headphones with a bit less details over 10khz )

Then, I never had such heavy headphone in my life, as I am used to max 315g of my ultrasone Ed15 veritas or 330g Z7M2, but in my case, even keeping the heddphone many hours a day, it stays 100% comfortable.
I could clearly adjust it perfectly to be comfortable.
There are 3 directions to adjust precisely to fit my head :
-> length over my head up/down (good margin with V2 headband)
-> pressure of the cans pushed front/back of the ears (good margin and important to adjust)
-> turning the cans left/right around the ears (a little margin)
And then .. no issue left in my case.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #2,312 of 4,472
Alors profitez de votre HEDD ! Salutations à la France, j'aime la France. Ma femme est originaire de la Suisse romande. Nous passons toujours nos vacances en France et nous aimons ce beau pays plus que tout ! :beerchug:

My headphone dealer has now also received the HEDD. I will try it out in Zurich at some point! I am very curious about it!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #2,313 of 4,472
Alors profitez de votre HEDD ! Salutations à la France, j'aime la France. Ma femme est originaire de la Suisse romande. Nous passons toujours nos vacances en France et nous aimons ce beau pays plus que tout ! :beerchug:

My headphone dealer has now also received the HEE. I will try it out in Zurich at some point! I am very curious about it!
:beerchug:

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #2,314 of 4,472
Last June we spent a week in Paris and attended the Mylene Farmer concert at La Défense! Great! We are the biggest fans of Mylene Farmer and I hear it very often! But the best concert of her was in 2006! We also saw her in Geneva.

IMG_0516.jpegBildschirmfoto 2020-06-14 um 10.02.41.png

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #2,315 of 4,472
She manages for decades to gather so many people in her concerts without being really engaged in the unfruitful French Media System, that it is already a nice feat in itself !!!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,316 of 4,472
If all goes well I can get my pair this coming week. In the meantime I have already prepared an EQ curve...

prov.EQ-curve for HEDDphone.JPG

...based on Crinacle's measurements – as a starting point.

There's some more waiting to be endured, as the new Silvergarde S4 (preordered for it) won't be available before 3-4 weeks from now.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #2,317 of 4,472
:thinking: it seems to be missing the hole compensation at 6khz more than 4Khz ..
I could also measure those holes with my Minidsp Ears on my Heddphone. For listening A/B, I found worth to compensate a bit at 6khz and 10khz.

It's interesting trying maybe those parameters too. From oratory1990..
And not forget to apply to the preamp -7.0 DB to avoid any clipping
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 24 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 0.95
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 227 Hz Gain -3.8 dB Q 0.99
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2077 Hz Gain 4.3 dB Q 4.13
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 6038 Hz Gain 5.8 dB Q 5.05
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 9358 Hz Gain 4.4 dB Q 2.33
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 562 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 4.48
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 1175 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 3.42
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 2673 Hz Gain 2.2 dB Q 4.16
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 4619 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 2.02
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 5363 Hz Gain 2.9 dB Q 2.59

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #2,318 of 4,472
I will have a look at Oratory's curve as well (if I can find it), and then there's also Jude's measurements...

Actually you're right – the dip is at 6 kHz, not 4 kHz (my fault).

Jude's midrange looks quite different to Crinacle's. Nothing new: A single FR measurement can't be trusted, it's better to have several ones at your disposal.

-4 dB is enough in my book, considering the low average level. It would take a single pure 6 kHz tone at full level to cause clipping, which is extremely unlikely if you listen to music.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #2,319 of 4,472
:thinking: it seems to be missing the hole compensation at 6khz more than 4Khz ..
I could also measure those holes with my Minidsp Ears on my Heddphone. For listening A/B, I found worth to compensate a bit at 6khz and 10khz.

I tried Oratory’s adjustments the other day and found it “too much” and preferred with no eq. I tried a couple more simple adjustments, like +2dB around 2450Hz and +3 dB low shelf, and that seemed to be getting somewhere.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #2,320 of 4,472

Hehe.
What i was curious about is, who the hell made these numbers?

Why they've picked a Q of 4.38 instead of 4.5? ^^
Why 0.99 instead of 1?

Is it for a professional look?
I mean, there really isn't a difference between 4.38 to 4.5.
Doesn't make sense to me.

I'll heading to the dedicated thread for this behavior. :sunglasses:
Maybe someone is able to enlighten me and point me in the right direction.
All input will be appreciated. :beerchug:

Anyway, keep listening to good music. :)

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #2,321 of 4,472
Hehe.

Why 0.99 instead of 1?
It looks like he was using sliders for adjusting the values instead of numbers. However, the difference between a Q of 4.38 and one of 4.5 may be audible under some circumstances.

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #2,322 of 4,472
Hehe.

Why 0.99 instead of 1?

Is it for a professional look?
I mean, there really isn't a difference between 4.38 to 4.5.
Doesn't make sense to me.

I'll heading to the dedicated thread for this behavior. :sunglasses:
Maybe someone is able to enlighten me and point me in the right direction.
All input will be appreciated. :beerchug:

Anyway, keep listening to good music. :)

It looks like he was using sliders for adjusting the values instead of numbers. However, the difference between a Q of 4.38 and one of 4.5 may be audible under some circumstances.

The EQ compensation curves are built by computer algorithms based on FFT data loaded into software - such as room EQ wizard, etc. He's not moving sliders and adjusting Q values manually.

Just a word of caution, be careful with any adjustments over 3k as these resonant peaks and FR nulls that were captured using a coupler's pinna may not align with yours. It's better to adjust any offending frequencies over 3K by ear using a controllable sine wave sweeper like Melda MOscillator (free VST or AU plugin).

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,323 of 4,472

buonassi made the right answer

The EQ compensation curves are built by computer algorithms based on FFT data loaded into software - such as room EQ wizard, etc. He's not moving sliders and adjusting Q values manually.

Yes exactly .. they make their curves with AutoEQ project.
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq#usage

And here are some of those results (a lot of models)
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/INDEX.md

It's certain that their calculations keep high frequencies rather flat which is much somewhere a higher level than usual sound on headphones and IEMs ( which usually are often cut down a lot over 10khz by many Db).

First, I didn't like so much their PEQ on the Heddphone, as it is already very pleasant as it is.
After a week listening many hours, I finally enjoyed more their high frequencies levels with their PEQ adjustments, probably because the Heddphone can keep high level in high frequencies without distortion we can listen.
I noticed that the holes corrections around 6Khz and 10khz are changing the global sound signature. But, all of this can be lowered easily to be more pleasant and fit personal taste for some. I would say, it's also true with the 24hz correction which is maybe a bit too much too, even if it's rather pleasant for some.

Anyway, it's so easy to make an A/B comparison and even adjust the curve to the personal taste, that it's not a real issue to try some automatic PEQ.
Of course, we must never forget to apply the preamp correction calculated too and given with those parameters (I apply even 1 Db less to avoid any distortion or clipping).

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #2,324 of 4,472
@buonassi @newworld666

Thanks guys.
That explains a lot.
It looks like their curves are a good point to start with.
Someone may like it and someone is not, as usual.
I'm not into that eq stuff bc i like the different sound reproduction of the headphones in the raw.
But i'm interested in how other people handle that and do like it. :)

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #2,325 of 4,472
I just had look with my own non pro measurements with MiniDsp Ears and some corrections based on AutoEQ sample for Heddphone (They ask me to send mine for getting more than one sample of the Heddphone, So it's possible in a few weeks we can compare my MiniDSP ears non pro measures and Oratory1990 more "pro").
I am in an office, not totally quiet and measures are made in a placard not really hermetic... but better than nothing.
So the graph of MiniDSP Ears gives a blue line with No EQ and an Orange line where some personal adjustments based on AutoEQ calculations (I adapted those figures to my own Heddphone MiniDSPEars measurements)
Capture Hedd_PEQ.JPG

Distortion with no PEQ
Capture Disrtortion Hedd_NOEQ.JPG

And distortion after my EQ
Capture Disrtortion Hedd_NW666EQ.JPG

It seems, that we have some good margin with distortions after adjustments .. The Heddphone can swallow a lot of PEQ DB adjustments without generating significant distortions.

Anyway, it's worth to give a try .. even if basically the Heddphone is already really convincing without any EQ.......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back