HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #2,326 of 4,472
Just a word of caution, be careful with any adjustments over 3k as these resonant peaks and FR nulls that were captured using a coupler's pinna may not align with yours. It's better to adjust any offending frequencies over 3K by ear using a controllable sine wave sweeper like Melda MOscillator (free VST or AU plugin).
Yes, I'm aware that high frequencies generally and especially those above ~10 kHz can't be reliably measured and the deviations with pinna shapes (HRTF) are another factor to be considered. That's why I just use the disposable FR graphs as a starting point, from which the obligatory adaptions according to the listening impressions are made. Nevertheless, it's good to see the sharp dips at ~6 kHz and ~10 kHz on both Crinacle's and Jude's graphs, as I would have a hard time to find those myself. That said, I will thoroughly test if they are really there on my ears and how much correction they need. After all newworld666's corresponding EQ experience makes them worth to be taken seriously.

BTW, I have prepared a second EQ variant based on Jude's graphs. And BTW 2: My now (parametric) EQ of choice (Neutron) works with 64 bits. It's not that I can detect much of a sound quality increase from the increased bit depth, but the finer adjustments compared to the xnor EQ (graphic, ⅓-octave) and particularly the better digital source (FiiO M11 Pro instead of desktop computer) make a positive difference.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,327 of 4,472
I also use Neutron Player mainly as dlna renderer and SD reader on :
-> Fiio M11 (2x1Tb DSD/FLAC) PAS3+4.4mm as 2W amp.. but falls a bit short in power.
-> H6Pro PAS3 + 4.4mm as 2W amp and also a bit short in power
-> and a small Windows 10 2004 Ockel Sirius A Pro connected to a smsl M500 + Monolyth THX887... I am not exactly like Jazz, because its' with this config I get my best listening results with the Heddphone. I suspect the Heddphone to be quite power hungry in some frequencies, and need more than 2W in some way to be optimal and get clean deep low frequencies.

I also sometimes use (for android only) USB pro player as Qobuz access to pass directly through the PEQ too (with Neutron we need either Bublbeupnp on android or Mconnect (iphone) to access NAS or Qobuz ).

So I can apply EQ with easy A/B compare on SD files, NAS or Qobuz streams.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #2,328 of 4,472
I also use Neutron Player mainly as dlna renderer and SD reader on :
-> Fiio M11 (2x1Tb DSD/FLAC) PAS3+4.4mm as 2W amp.. but falls a bit short in power.
-> H6Pro PAS3 + 4.4mm as 2W amp and also a bit short in power
-> and a small Windows 10 2004 Ockel Sirius A Pro connected to a smsl M500 + Monolyth THX887... I am not exactly like Jazz, because its' with this config I get my best listening results with the Heddphone. I suspect the Heddphone to be quite power hungry in some frequencies, and need more than 2W in some way to be optimal and get clean deep low frequencies.

I also sometimes use (for android only) USB pro player as Qobuz access to pass directly through the PEQ too (with Neutron we need either Bublbeupnp on android or Mconnect (iphone) to access NAS or Qobuz ).

So I can apply EQ with easy A/B compare on SD files, NAS or Qobuz streams.
In my case the M11 Pro only serves as digital source feeding a Chord DAVE via Hugo M Scaler. The DAVE's headphone output is quite powerful, so I'm optimistic that it will be a good match with the HEDDphone. It definitely is with HE1000se and HD 800, it could also drive a Susvara to my satisfaction during an audition and in fact sounded better that way than via the HiFiMan EF1000 amp.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #2,329 of 4,472
In my case the M11 Pro only serves as digital source feeding a Chord DAVE via Hugo M Scaler. The DAVE's headphone output is quite powerful, so I'm optimistic that it will be a good match with the HEDDphone. It definitely is with HE1000se and HD 800, it could also drive a Susvara to my satisfaction during an audition and in fact sounded better that way than via the HiFiMan EF1000 amp.

I found the DAVE + Headphones (without an additional amplifier) just perfect! So nothing to worry about!

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #2,330 of 4,472
I understand that many people won't make any EQ with the Heddphone as it is already a great pleasure as it is. So sorry for them, that I publish this rather long post.

But, for those who wants to explorer some more details in the sound, as there are some margin in the 5.5/6Khz and a bit at 10khz, I will just put some of my non-professional measurements that I tried today with a MiniDSP Ears with and without EQ.

The setups I tried were those, all connected to my PC with REW and to the Heddphone with a 4.4mm to 2x XLR balanced ultra low capacitance cable :
1) SMSL M500 (USB DAC Input and 2 XLR output ) + Monolyth THX887 (2x XLR intput XLR4 to 4.4mm output)
2) MiniDSP HA-DSD (DAC 3.5mm output) + Monolyth THX887 (3.5mm unbalanced input to 4.4mm output)
3) FIIO M11 (USB DAC with 4.4mm output) + Monolyth THX887 (2 x XLR input to 4.4mm output)
4) FIIO M11 (USB DAC with 4.4mm output) + PA3S+4.4MM with 2W (Balanced 2.5mm input, 4.4mm Output to Heddphone)

So first .. for frequency response, I can't see any real difference, even if, unfortunately, under 40hz, in my office there are plenty of low frequencies with a high noise floor (walking people, lift, air conditioner, wind, etc). My measurements are made in a placard and not a well close cabinet with a real noise protection from outside.
So, actually I can never get twice measurements between 10hz and 40hz even with the same config in less than 1-minute time difference.
But, I would clim that every config looks similar (and THD not really different too)
1592319704128.png

Then I could test some PEQ config based on the autoEQ parameters made by Oratory1990 and some of my own parameters.
For this, I use a Minidsp HA-DSP, which make easy to input PAQ data and measure them quite instantly.

Sowe we can see the 3 frequency response which are rather different and confirmed by my own ears :smile::smile: .. of course my favourite sound is under NW666 PEQ :grin::grin:
1592319612844.png

THD with no EQ
1592322040379.png

THD with AutoEQ from Oratory1990
1592322082002.png

And EQ made basically with the Oratory1990 parameters and adapted to my own taste
1592322126180.png

But what I can't show with those measurements is the difference in real life between M500 as DAC and Monolyth THX 887 as amp with 6W , compared to an amp like the PA3S+ with 2W => lower frequencies are definitely better to listen with more watts available (I suspect peak power is a big factor and can be more important than the sustain power itself for low frequencies).

As my freedom to listen to good music anywhere I want in my own home is very important for me => I ordered and I am waiting for one more new model of portable amp with the CETRANCE M8 V2. It seems to be able to produce till 20V in peaks and probably 1.4W (sustain at 32 Ohms).

I think my actual PA3S+4.4mm is a cheap amp manufactured in China and probably far from the 2W as announced by the manufacturer and it is probably very far beyond what the Heddphone needs as peak power (which can be produced easily with the THX 887).

So this was my non-pro contribution, for people enjoying adapting a bit their headphones sounds to their own taste... of course I wouldn't claim it to be essential in the Heddphone situation, but i think it's worth to explore as they are many tools available PC or DAP.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #2,331 of 4,472
By the way, I also tried to adapt some of my EQ on a Ultrasone Ed15 veritas, which is among the TOTL closed headphone on the market, which I enjoy to use a lot for 1 year and half.
And after adjusting the EQ, I really found amazing the margin available for equalization under 40hz with the Heddphone compared to the Ultrasone..
The technology of the Heddphone is something really different and new compared to my Electrostatic Kingsound KS-H04 and this more traditional Dynamic Ultrasone Ed15.
I don't know if it's technically possible, but I would love a Closed Heddphone even with 500g..:darthsmile::darthsmile::darthsmile: . What a pleasure this heddphone with or without EQ

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #2,332 of 4,472
I am thinking on jumping on this wagon...
What kind of wire material suits better this headphone (OCC Copper, OCC Silver or a Hybrid)?
Any specific brand/model recommendations?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,333 of 4,472
Have ordered one from a German retailer but have to wait awhile as Hedd seems to be overrun/surprised by global demand. At least it will have the longer headband and the smell of brand new German quality.

Jun 19, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #2,334 of 4,472
I bought a balanced OCC Silver and a balanced Ultra low capacitance Cooper => no difference !!! Even with the stock cable (a bit too big to be comfortable)
So I found such one to be comfortable to use (no wire noise when moving too)
1592545776004.png

Maybe other have a different experience than mine, as I spent more time with EQ which generate huge differences.

So till now, if we don't include any EQ, the only real difference to my ears is with the AMP .. it can be significant like it is with my Monolyth Thx 887 6W compared to some portable powerful amps Xduuo X05+ 1W or Hifi PA3S+ 2W).

As I can't notice any difference between amps with measurements with DSP Ears, I think a good amp with high available peak power, can generate a really noticeable difference in impacts ( in better/clearer results ) in low frequencies for some type of music.

Then, all my DACs don't generate something really noticeable on the heddphone .. I compared ESS9038Pro of the smsl M500, the Sony's WM1A with any firmware (100% all same sound), the AK4493EQ of the Fiio M11 => they all sound more or less identical (DSD or other Hires Flac)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #2,336 of 4,472
I am thinking on jumping on this wagon...
What kind of wire material suits better this headphone (OCC Copper, OCC Silver or a Hybrid)?
Any specific brand/model recommendations?
I’m loving the ALO Ref.16, but it is a discontinued cable.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #2,337 of 4,472
I’m loving the ALO Ref.16, but it is a discontinued cable.
Have the same cable and a few other aftermarket cables which I use with my Lcd4, so in a lucky situation to have a choice....but still waiting on the Heddphone to be delivered.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #2,339 of 4,472

Users who are viewing this thread

Back