Headphones with pioneer a-35r amp
Oct 19, 2006 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

qwerpoi

New Head-Fier
As the thread title suggests, I'm looking for a good fit for some headphones which work well with my new a-35r integrated amplifier. My audio equipment is starting to shift from budget-fi to curse-you-head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
, right now my pc setup looks like this:

esi juli@ sound card
entech 203.2 dac
pioneer a-35 amplifier
athena bs1 speakers, alessandro ms-1 headphones

I love the ms-1s, but I've read that while the a-35r has a very good headphone out section (on par with or better than most portable amps), it doesn't work well with low impedence headphones. My budget is $200, at that price point I think my best options are the sennheiser hd580 and possibly the ety er-4s (which surprisingly is around $180 at some online stores). I'm not sure about the etys, since they have an impedence of 100 ohms (as opposed to the 300 ohms on the hd580s), and actually I have no idea how they stack up against the hd580, probably since they have totally different sound signatures and form factors. My goal is to get the most of my setup, so I'd really like to hear from people who have heard the pioneer a-35r, but of course other opinions are welcome as well.

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 4
When I had the HD-580s they sounded pretty good out of the A35R
580smile.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
When I had the HD-580s they sounded pretty good out of the A35R
580smile.gif

I have been using the Pio A 35 r as the HP amp. Not bad at all. Most of the time, I set it in direct mode to bypass the tone control but with certain cans such as the Fostex T20rp or the Senn 5xx series, a couple knots increase on the treble will cure the veil signature.

The HD280/HD380 do not have such an issue with veil sound signature. I am in search for a neutral sounding amp for my HD 650 but I do not believe any sub $500-$600.00 will improve the SQ that much. Burson is the name I can think of.

This sucker A35r is good for the money even with 2 channel providing good source and good cablings and good speakers.  

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 4
I would suggest you to keep the Pio Elite A 35r and improve your source and your cables. Yes, a dedicated HP amp will improve the SQ  of the good HPs but as usual, the question of the law of diminishing of return: How much more than $200.00 ( MSRP of the A 35rp) that you have to spend to get a better sound ?  I can tell you now that 's not $500.00 or under.

I am not an audiophile by any chance but I have a very gifted pair of ears and I have playing the Hi-end field for over some 30 years. I can tell you that my modest system consists of :

1. Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD ( yes, a bluray player with its Wolfson Dacs sounds as good as any sub $1,000.00 stand alone player) .
2. One meter RCA pair of SilverStreak cables from Kimber.
3. Pioneer Elite A 35r runs in direct mode.

I am playing the HD 650 right this moment and the master volume is at between 9:00 and 10:00 o' clock and this is pretty darned loud. I am playing some DK CDs right now as the HD650 sounds as good as my old full range Mirage FRX7 : Sweet and detail and better of all not a hint of harshness.

Instead of chasing for some budget HP amp, I am going to get the Rega CDP and maybe saving up for the HD800 then I am done. 

Again, this is just one man experience. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back