Headphones with low outside isolation (optional) and almost no leakage?? 350$ budget
Jul 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #31 of 55
By the way,is it normal that when i stretch my jaw i hear...i guess my blood pumping or whatever (dt 770)? It's really weird when i eat something or just stretch my jaw LOL will i get the same thing with the dt 880 pro?

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #32 of 55
Just look for anything that says it is a semi-open headphone. The AKG K240 is one. The Superlux HD668B is another.

On the amp.. I'm not sure about the dolby surround sound thing. None of the amps I know of support anything like that. For that kind of feature you'll need to plug directly into a sound card that supports it. But honestly, I don't know what the fuss is all about. Video games already do surround sound and 3D positioning and as for movies.. well personally I don't think surround sound makes sense when you are listening to a movie through 2 speakers attached to your ears. In other words... I think you would be quite happy with your games and movies even with an amp that doesn't support any of those fancy dolby features.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #33 of 55
Quote:
Just look for anything that says it is a semi-open headphone. The AKG K240 is one. The Superlux HD668B is another.

On the amp.. I'm not sure about the dolby surround sound thing. None of the amps I know of support anything like that. For that kind of feature you'll need to plug directly into a sound card that supports it. But honestly, I don't know what the fuss is all about. Video games already do surround sound and 3D positioning and as for movies.. well personally I don't think surround sound makes sense when you are listening to a movie through 2 speakers attached to your ears. In other words... I think you would be quite happy with your games and movies even with an amp that doesn't support any of those fancy dolby features.

Was just gonna use it for FPS's and envy said gaming with dolby headphone changes everything and since it's a pretty famous guide in here,i was thinking maybe he has a reason of saying that. 
I mean,ok with the "look for anything that is semi-open",i'm not stupid,i was wondering if you tried something,you as a person...i don't really know why you're all being so cold...was just asking for some human advices,not "you want this kind of headphones,get anything"...anyway thanks...

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #34 of 55
Well I would have recommended others but you were so adamant about not getting a headphone that leaked at all. The 598 you tried is fairly popular for gaming along with the 558 and 518 but you obviously didn't like them. I love my 770s for gaming but they have decent isolation. My HD600s are also very good for gaming but again... they are fully open and leak quite a bit. Your requirement for a headphone that doesn't isolate but also doesn't leak has narrowed the field of possible recommendations quite a bit. :wink: If I was being cold it was probably because you said some stupid shiz about how I'm an american so I should understand what you were saying when in reality what you were saying didn't make very much sense.

Anyway, good luck.

On the amp-- the Fiio models are very popular. The E10 and E17 are DAC/amps so you can plug them into your computer through USB in case you are using your builtin sound card which tend to be pretty subpar.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #35 of 55
Sorry if you felt insulted but it was the third time i was repeating the same sentence and it wasn't that it didn't make sense,you were reading it wrong.

I can deal with some leakage,i just don't want leakage that would for example sound like speakers (since where i live people are either sleeping or studying in other rooms or even next to me and i don't want to wake them up just because i want to listen to music at high volume. It's not that i want no leakage whatsoever,just want it to sound like "noise" coming out,not of what i'm exactly listening to. Hope it's clear enough.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:
Sorry if you felt insulted but it was the third time i was repeating the same sentence and it wasn't that it didn't make sense,you were reading it wrong.

I can deal with some leakage,i just don't want leakage that would for example sound like speakers (since where i live people are either sleeping or studying in other rooms or even next to me and i don't want to wake them up just because i want to listen music at high volume. It's not that i want no leakage whatsoever,just want it to sound like "noise" coming out,not of what i'm exactly listening to. Hope it's clear enough.

Yeah I understand what you're saying but earlier I wasn't "reading it wrong". You said you wanted no isolation but also no leakage. This is literally impossible. Surely you see this now. Semi-open headphones don't leak as much as open headphones but guess what! They isolate more than open headphones do. Its a trade off. That's what you weren't understanding.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:
Ehi head-fi!

I've been using a dt 770 pro and i don't really like how they sound,even if i've not used an amp with them (was trying to find one with dolby headphone but didn't really find any). Also the isolation really got to me since i talk a lot on skype and hearing my voice like i'm in a bubble feels really weird and annoying after a while.I've been looking at the Q701 which everyone says are amazing but i'm really worried about the leakage...

What i've been looking for is a headphone with low isolation and almost no outside leakage since i don't want to harass people that are sleeping/reading a book/whatever with high volume music. Does a headphone like this even exist? And do you know any amps for it that have dolby headphone in them (want to use it for games,not for music,i know it's bad with music)?

It would help me a ton if you could give me a hand :D

Thanks for reading,

Galex

GREAT question my friend.

I had the same question last year I think and I set out to buy exactly this type of headphone. There's plenty out there that satisfies this criteria well, believe me. The denon d2000 and it's bigger brothers are very decent at this. They provide great 'non-isolation' yet leak little/unnoticable amounts at low volume. I'm always using over ear headphones in places where there's other people too, so leakage would bother them and sometimes too much isolation would bother me for the same reason you mentioned. Note that these denons will leak at a noticable volume when your listening to music loud or near to loud.

For this purpose of non isolation and little leakage it's the denon d7000 that I wear, although there are others out there. Apparently the new philips fidelio L1 is good at this. Actually, I've tried the headphone but haven't tested out it's leakage characteristics so I can't say much about it except to point you in it's direction. If you're worried that the denon's or the phillips will leak too much for your liking then the shure srh940 might be good. It's got grating treble and needs a slightly better source that your standard mp3 player, but it's isolation is poor and it don't leak much at all. The ultrasone pro900 is slightly similar- though I haven't properly tested it's isolation/leakage properties.

Okay, lets say that this isolation/leakage balance is the most important consideration for your headphone purchase. I guess you'd want decent sound quality and decent comfort to go with it too. An instant recommendation (if you don't listen at high volumes) to match the denon d2k/d5k/d7k range would be the panasonic htf600. Of course it's a much cheaper phone and is easily bested in sound quality by the denon d2k, but it's what I sometimes wear instead of the denons. Hey, you know what another great recommendation in this category is the sennheiser px100 (or similar versions). It used to be the headphone I used for this purpose a few years ago.

I've always been very unnaturaly peculiar about these things in headphones- isolation and leakage- to the point where on headfi I've been mocked about it! I'd say I know what I'm talking about here moreso than many other topics on headfi that All these headphones I've mentioned leak far less than open headphones, though they may isolate a touch more. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #38 of 55
@CantScareMe:

I definitely see your point. And I would never mock you. But I would point out that closed headphones isolate a lot more than a "touch more" than open headphones do, even the ones that don't isolate well. With isolation and leakage its always a trade-off and that was my point.

But you bring up some good points and I think you hit the nail on the head-- what Galex really wants is a closed headphone that doesn't isolate very well.

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

GREAT question my friend.

I had the same question last year I think and I set out to buy exactly this type of headphone. There's plenty out there that satisfies this criteria well, believe me. The denon d2000 and it's bigger brothers are very decent at this. They provide great 'non-isolation' yet leak little/unnoticable amounts at low volume. I'm always using over ear headphones in places where there's other people too, so leakage would bother them and sometimes too much isolation would bother me for the same reason you mentioned. Note that these denons will leak at a noticable volume when your listening to music loud or near to loud.

For this purpose of non isolation and little leakage it's the denon d7000 that I wear, although there are others out there. Apparently the new philips fidelio L1 is good at this. Actually, I've tried the headphone but haven't tested out it's leakage characteristics so I can't say much about it except to point you in it's direction. If you're worried that the denon's or the phillips will leak too much for your liking then the shure srh940 might be good. It's got grating treble and needs a slightly better source that your standard mp3 player, but it's isolation is poor and it don't leak much at all. The ultrasone pro900 is slightly similar- though I haven't properly tested it's isolation/leakage properties.

Okay, lets say that this isolation/leakage balance is the most important consideration for your headphone purchase. I guess you'd want decent sound quality and decent comfort to go with it too. An instant recommendation (if you don't listen at high volumes) to match the denon d2k/d5k/d7k range would be the panasonic htf600. Of course it's a much cheaper phone and is easily bested in sound quality by the denon d2k, but it's what I sometimes wear instead of the denons. Hey, you know what another great recommendation in this category is the sennheiser px100 (or similar versions). It used to be the headphone I used for this purpose a few years ago.

I've always been very unnaturaly peculiar about these things in headphones- isolation and leakage- to the point where on headfi I've been mocked about it! I'd say I know what I'm talking about here moreso than many other topics on headfi that All these headphones I've mentioned leak far less than open headphones, though they may isolate a touch more. 

Finally the answer i was looking for,without people mocking or not understanding. You advised so many headphones and you explained why you advised them,you,sir,are an amazing person. I too wanted to get the d7000 but unfortunately i don't have enough money right now. Thanks for all the reccomendations you made,really brightened up this thread.

Quote:
@CantScareMe:

I definitely see your point. And I would never mock you. But I would point out that closed headphones isolate a lot more than a "touch more" than open headphones do, even the ones that don't isolate well. With isolation and leakage its always a trade-off and that was my point.

But you bring up some good points and I think you hit the nail on the head-- what Galex really wants is a closed headphone that doesn't isolate very well.

Yes,i think that's it. Closed headphones that don't make me feel in a bubble when i wear them,hence with low isolation. Cantscareme advised so many but i'm probably gonna go with denons,maybe a cheaper one for now...

Thanks again CantScareMe for helping me out and everyone else in the thread. I'll do some research and post what i decided to get so that maybe others looking for the same type of headphones will know what i chose.

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #40 of 55
Deleted

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Uh? Haha.

While you're still here (if you're still here) cantscareme,is there a way to replace the pleather with velour or something on the denon's? And if i can't,the only one that i can see with velour are the shure ones so those would be the best ones without pleather for this purpose,right?

Also,if this helps,one of my favourite songs (and the type of music i love the hear every detail of) is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VV8sgVSZNQ&list=PLFE8ECCEE9E7F0365&index=1&feature=plpp_video

With my old crappy headphones this sounded...can't even describe it,it just sounded amazing. With the DT770 it sounds SO BAD....

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #42 of 55
I wish i could find a pic of my old headphones but they're fake so i can't find them...don't know why the sound was so good to my ear haha...the thing i can say is that they were over the ear (so going behind the neck),headSETs and had 2 little holes (to make air go through i guess) in the back,2 for each cup,really small...

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:
@CantScareMe:

Fair enough. 

I was talking about the headphones I recommended here, isolating a touch more than open ones like say the hd600. Closed headphones that Isolate massively have always been top priority for me and of course, there's plenty in this category. The ultrasone edition 8 for me are leaders in this regard with isolation better than shallow insertion iem's even.
I've actually found that with 'open' headphones there are varying levels of isolation and leakage, to the point where it becomes a serious factor to consider when purchasing them (in my opinion). Maybe in other places other than on headfi this is more true (like the uk based 'what hifi'. small country, lots of people, little space, lots of noise, bad weather, indoor life....) where you have people staying away from the grado gs1000 and sennheiser hd800 in favour of the beyer T1 and shure 1840. The latter's meant to be quite good in this way.

''Yes,i think that's it. Closed headphones that don't make me feel in a bubble when i wear them,hence with low isolation. Cantscareme advised so many but i'm probably gonna go with denons,maybe a cheaper one for now...

Thanks again CantScareMe for helping me out and everyone else in the thread. I'll do some research and post what i decided to get so that maybe others looking for the same type of headphones will know what i chose.''

No problem. You asked a good question that I struggled on in the past, so it was easy to state my experience. Out of all the denon's (even the d1001 or creative aurvana live, yet more contenders) the d5000 would be my recommendation if the d7k are above budget. They sound very close to as good, if not better as out of the box they definitely have tamer highs. Highs for all these denons really decrease in aggressivness and scratchiness with a good LONG burn in. 

Hope you find your desired headphone

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:
Also,if this helps,one of my favourite songs (and the type of music i love the hear every detail of) is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VV8sgVSZNQ&list=PLFE8ECCEE9E7F0365&index=1&feature=plpp_video

With my old crappy headphones this sounded...can't even describe it,it just sounded amazing. With the DT770 it sounds SO BAD....

Sounds bloody great to me through my 770s. Cool song.

Edit-- Wow, something must have been wrong with your 770s or they just needed to be amped or something. This whole album sounds ****ing amazing through my 770s. This is exactly the kind of genre that the 770s are perfect for IMO.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

While you're still here (if you're still here) cantscareme,is there a way to replace the pleather with velour or something on the denon's? And if i can't,the only one that i can see with velour are the shure ones so those would be the best ones without pleather for this purpose,right?

The pleather on the d7k's is of such high quality that it should never be an issue. It's pleather that behaves like leather. I don't think there are any real velour pads that could fit onto these denons without damaging SQ and if there are they would require modding definitely.
Replacement pads that are leather and that do, indubitably, increase sound quality are available and that's at around $100 per pair. Mark lawton at lawton audio currently sells them. Performing similar to the now discontinued j$ pads these lawton pads provide a real increase all round in sound quality especially in the soundsage area. However they do reduce comfort somewhat noticably as in original mode these denon d7k's are the most comfortable headphone I've come across. Yea, still ultra comfortable with these leather pads, but not right at the top (for me the k550 beats them). Oh, with these leather pads I've noticed that now these denons isolate a touch more (material property of leather I guess).

I won't recommend buying a headphone based on the material of the pads although it is an important consideration in the name of comfort to address this. To tell the truth I didn't find these shure 940 that comfortable as these velour pads are actually more of a velvet I think. They're quite a bit itch inducing and this isn't helped by the quite tight clamp that it's headband induces. 

Unfortunately I have no other way of saying it- the dt770 are rubbish. Full stop.

I'll listen to the track by 'the glitch mob' soon, although youtube really compress their audio even on hd content. It's probably at 128kbps max which isn't very good to be honest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back