Headphones With $450 Budget
Mar 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Simplicit

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm starting to get into the (full-size) headphone and am not sure which headphones to get.  I already purchased the Shure SRH840s and am trying to find a higher quality headphone.  They are also a little bit too heavy on the top.  I listen to pretty much everything but country, but have no idea what to get.  Thanks for the advice guys!

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 28
I have the Emmeline "P-51 Mustang" Portable Headphone Amp.  Although I don't know how well they will drive full sized headphones.  

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 28
What genres of music do you listen mostly to?
You might need to purchase a better amp if you want to get the best out of full-sized headphones.
How about you spend the 450 on a better amp and see if that makes you happier with your Srh840, as I'm sure they'll profit from it. In addition, you can always get better headphones later and the amp won't be a waste of money, since it will definitely be needed if you decide to go for even better headphones in the near future.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 28
I mostly listen to rap, hip hop, rock, and alternative.  What amp do you recommend?  Also, are there any portable amps that can drive full sized headphones?

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 28
Where do you plan on using them? Do you care if they are open/closed? Would you go for possibly a headphone + amp combo?

Also, don't expect an amp to make a MASSIVE difference, if you want something to make a huge difference in sound quality get a good DAC. An amp may help it to an extent, but it may not be what you're hoping.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 28
I'm in college now, so in my room, in the lounge, or when I'm going to class.  I would go for a headphone + amp combo.  I'm sorry, but I'm a noob, but what exactly is a DAC?

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 28
A great choice would be the Headstage Arrow G3, it costs about 360 and 400 with the DAC. It's very powerful and will drive most full-sized headphones with ease. It really gets my Ultrasones pro 900s to shine, which are headphones I might suggest to you. They are very good with bass and are extremely detailed. The only, situation dependant, flaw is that they have a v-shaped frequency responce curve, meaning they emphasize bass and treble, making the midrange sound a bit laid back. This is great for hip hop, electronic music but not so great for rock music. However, from experience I'll say that detail wins over emphasis, as the midrange is extremely detailed and they are very fast, which, to me is, more important than forward midrange for rock music. They can also be easily modded to bring the midrange forward, but I didn't like the effect, as it took away the crystallic detailing of the midrange and treble. Btw, if you like bass, then you can't get passed these!
L3000.gif

P.S. A DAC is a digital to analog converter, essentially it is a usb cable that bypasses your pc's soundcard, offering a cleaner signal. It needs to be connected to an amp though.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 28
Oh, alright.  Are there any portable DACs as well?  Also where can I buy both the Headstage Arrow G3?  I think I found the site, but I don't see a DAC on there.  And wow this might cost more than I thought lol.

Also forgot to mention, open or closed doesn't matter to me.

Quote:
A great choice would be the Headstage Arrow G3, it costs about 360 and 400 with the DAC. It's very powerful and will drive most full-sized headphones with ease. It really gets my Ultrasones pro 900s to shine, which are headphones I might suggest to you. They are very good with bass and are extremely detailed. The only, situation dependant, flaw is that they have a v-shaped frequency responce curve, meaning they emphasize bass and treble, making the midrange sound a bit laid back. This is great for hip hop, electronic music but not so great for rock music. However, from experience I'll say that detail wins over emphasis, as the midrange is extremely detailed and they are very fast, which, to me is, more important than forward midrange for rock music. They can also be easily modded to bring the midrange forward, but I didn't like the effect, as it took away the crystallic detailing of the midrange and treble. Btw, if you like bass, then you can't get passed these!
L3000.gif

P.S. A DAC is a digital to analog converter, essentially it is a usb cable that bypasses your pc's soundcard, offering a cleaner signal. It needs to be connected to an amp though.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #10 of 28
Well, I think closed is better for you, as you will probably use them with friends around or, perhaps, in a library, in which case open headphones are a no no. Well, you seem to be right, he no longer sells the DAC, hmm that's a pity. Well, perhaps you can contact him and see if he might sell one to you. Anyhow, you can always get an LOD cable and pair it with your mp3 player (what do you use?), this will pretty much have the same effects as a DAC and be cheaper.
It always ends up being more expensive; welcome to Headfi!
wink_face.gif

But I'm sure you'll love the pro 900s, they truely are remarkable headphones, check the appreciation thread and see for yourself.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 28
I currently use an ipod touch 32g (4th generation).  Thinking about buying a Cowon J3.  So if I were to buy an LOD cable, the Headstage Arrow G3, and the pro 900s, I should be pretty set? 
etysmile.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 28
Yes, that would be a great combo, but I would recommend that you stick with your Iphone for now and get this LOD
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1299738303&sr=1-1
The cowon won't make a big difference and, honestly, can wait for now
tongue_smile.gif

If you get the pro 900s off Ebay they'll cost you 320. I'm not sure what the seller is called, as I bought mine off amazon for 400, but ask on the appreciation thread and they'll tell you.
The amp will cost 360 and the lod 25, so in total about 700 dollars... I think that should be enough for now and if you feel like getting a Cowon, you can always do that later.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 28
Mar 10, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 28
You might want to consider the Sony MDR-Z1000. Reviews and information are a bit sparse right now, but I am enjoying them with hip hop. They also seem to fit the rest of your criteria (except maybe going to class, depending on how windy your area is. Wind noise is pretty bad on these), and are easy to drive such that I can run them straight from an iPod Touch or Sansa Clip. I'm sure your RSA amp will have no problem.

Having not heard the Pro 900s, I can't say how they compare. From what I've read, it sounds like those would be a good match as well though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back