Headphones to compliment the LCD-2?
Aug 8, 2011 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kowalski74

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have the LCD-2 rev2 but i would like to have a very good second pair of headphones. Althought the LCD-2 are THE headphones (IMHO), there are some things or circumstances where other headphones can do it better.

I'm looking for a headphones that meet the following criteria:

1. Closed: to not disturb the rest of the family.
  2. Portable or semi-portable: because i will also use them for travels (not on street, so semi-portable is ok)
  3. Good for rock/metal: I think the LCD-2 are excellent but if the second pair of headphones could do rock/metal a bit better (punchier bass and clear highs), then it would be perfect.
  4. Good for movies/games: the LCD-2 have excellent sound quality, very good imaging and soundstage, and incredible bass quality, but they are big, a little bit unconfortable for watching movies and I would like a bass with a bit more slam (punchier).

I also have the AKG K701, Grado sr325is, Ultrasone HFI-780 (stock) and Denon D2000. I'm going to sell K701 and D2000 because the LCD-2 are better in almost every way except the width of the K701 soundstage and the closed design of the d2000 (I mean not better, just different).

So I have the sr325is for listening to rock and metal music, althought LCD-2 do it very well. On the other hand, the HFI780 meet all the criteria i have mentioned: closed, portable, rock/metal (althought not as good as the sr325), movies and games.

At that point you may be thinking: "Then, what the hell is he asking for?"
confused_face_2.gif
. Simply, something better than the HFI-780. I feel that I am missing too much quality when I switch from the LCD-2 to the HFI-780. Moreover, if they can do rock and metal so well that I don't need to keep the sr325is then it would be perfect.

My budget is $400-$500.

For all I have read I think the best (¿only one?) option is the Ultrasone PRO 900. ¿Am I right? I dismiss D5000 because they are very similar to D2000 and they aren't portable. The same for D7000 (and they are out of my budget). Ok, the best are the Edition 8, but... their price is astronomical for my scared wallet after purchasing the LCD-2.
wink_face.gif

My only fear about PRO 900 are the recessed mids and sibilance or harsh highs. How they compare to HFI780 in those things? If the Pro 900 have less prominent highs (warmer) than HFI-780 and only a bit less recessed mids (upfront) than D2000 then they could be great.

Do you think the Pro 900 are the logical option? Are they a clear upgrade from HFI-780? Could it be better that I keep the 780 and forget the pro 900?

Any other suggestion?

I think that when I have a good headphones to compliment  the LCD-2 then the upgrade bug will die and my "journey" will end
atsmile.gif
............Mmmmm, maybe
wink_face.gif

Thanks.

PD: Sorry for my (bad) english.

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 9
Heya,

I was about to say... Edition 8 to compliment the LCD2 for a portable. But, definitely out of budget.

The Pro 900's have bright forward highs. They can be harsh for someone who doesn't already like forward bright highs. I've not had an issue with sibilance on my Pro 900's, unless the volume is through the roof and even then only on certain songs/tracks. I wouldn't call it a problem of the Pro 900's since it's not every track so to speak. They're certainly not warm. Ultrasones in general are quite metallic sounding. I warm mine up with my tube. That's not going to be the case if you're portable though. If you want massive punchy controlled bass that is fast and recovers quickly, the Pro 900 is definitely your can. The mids are recessed. However, based on budget, I would just stay with your 780's unless you're willing to pay for the extra bass impact.

I listen to rock on my Ultrasone Pro 900's and it just doesn't have the sound I want for rock. I tend to reach for my Beyers when I'm listening to rock. That's just me though.

After going through it in my head though, I keep coming back to you saying "rock/metal" and I can't help but to think to myself "Why doesn't he have a pair of BeyerDynamics?" The DT770's for example come to mind for someone who wants closed headphones with punchy solid bass response. But then you want portable, and these are not really portable, they don't fold or swivel at all and are not small by any stretch.

So that brings me to think you may just need to audition the Shure SRH940. The only thing it's not going to do is hit you with jaw rattling bass the way your LCD2 or Pro 900 would do. It delivers bass, it's punchy, it has great extension (5 hz to 30 khz range). But it's not bass heavy at all. It's neutral. With forward mids and highs. Much like your Grado in that sense. But it's very comfortable. Folds and swivels. Is closed. I EQ mine for rock, and the bass comes up to where I want it, and it becomes the headphone I cannot seem to put down. Granted, I'm biased with this thought. But I can't help but share it. There's a review in my signature if you click on the headphone in my list.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your reply and your suggestion. I will consider the Shure SRH940.

I have the DT770 but I prefer the HFI-780 in almost every way. Also, if anyone is thinking about them, I have HD-25-1 II too (for office work).

I know that the Pro 900 are bright headphones. No doubt. But i am interested in how they are with respect to the HFI-780. Wich one is brighter? If the Pro 900 are not brighter than HFI and sound a bit less metallic then they will be ok.

I know they have more and better bass than HFI-780, more detail and wider soundstage, all good things, and less upfront and perhaps less funny sound (not a big problem). But I don't know how they compare in the high frequency range. I have not find any reliable information about that. Only ALO-mod vs stock, stock vs Kees-mod, ALO-mod vs Kees-mod, but almost nothing about stock vs stock.

Wich one is less bright?
Wich one is less metallic?

If the answer is the HFI-780 then I will discard the Pro 900 and I will look for other cans (perhaps Shure SRH940) or keep the HFI-780.

Thanks.

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 9
I'll also throw out the suggestion of the ESW9A for a portable headphone. It's got bass and a very prominent and lush midrange. it's not a treble happy headphone but I think it sounds very good and doesn't fall in the trap of sacrificing midrange for strong bass.

plus they look good and cost "only" 220 or so

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 9
LCD-2 and ED 8 combo has been excellent for me. It´s not that bright it´s impossible to jump between the two but they do give you different perspectives of the music.

If you don´t want to change perspective I find the DX 1000 go along very well. Sure it´s no LCD-2 but it´s lighter more comfortable and do isolate some. But those are if possible even less portable then the LCD-2 :p

Pro 900 like HD 800/T1 is a bit to big of a jump to easy jump between the LCD-2 to these but is great bang for buck :)

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Definitely I will not buy the Edition 8, it's out of my budget. It seems that the best option is to stay with the HFI780. It is disconcerting that there are so few options that meet those requirements.
Regarding the ESW9A, so I've read it not seems to meet all the requirements. The soundstage is small so it could be a handicap for movies and games. And the sound is too laid back with little PRAT for rock and metal music. I don't know.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for asking this question. I'm interested in buying the LCD-2's as well but I've yet to find a nice portable set of headphones. All my cans are huge and goofy looking, and on top of that, the best ones leak audio like a sieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back