Headphones that have that 'Loud' feel without having to be loud? - Odd I know, lol
Oct 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ACE of SPARTANS

New Head-Fier
Whenever I listen to music loudly, it sounds stronger and more powerful to say. Not just because it's loud, but it has power behind it. Is there a pair of headphones that can recreate this feel without them having to be turned up so loud, as I do not want to damage my ears in the long run.

Or is there any other way you guys listen to things loudly yet in a safe way, besides just turning it down?

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 15
Unfortunately that sense of power and drive probably is because it is loud. 

You may however get the same sense by turning it down and boosting around 120Hz.  This frequency area has a great deal of energy in rock, pop, etc.  It is where the bumps in hip-hop reside.

Also keep the loud sessions short and give your ears a day to recover.  This will help protect your ears.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Whenever I listen to music loudly, it sounds stronger and more powerful to say. Not just because it's loud, but it has power behind it. Is there a pair of headphones that can recreate this feel without them having to be turned up so loud, as I do not want to damage my ears in the long run.

Or is there any other way you guys listen to things loudly yet in a safe way, besides just turning it down?

Heya,

Sounds like you want a headphone with a lot of impact.

Do you have a budget?

Very best,

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 15
There are a couple things to aim for.

First, try to find something that is very sensitive--headphones that are hard to drive often sound a bit thin, and you have to pump them up to get the same impact.

The other thing is a good seal--if you get headphones that seal well, then surrounding noise doesn't compete with the sound.

I find that the Phiaton MS400 works well for this for me.  Really, though, you do need to be careful with your hearing and there's no getting around that.

Ultrasone also claims to be better for this because of the offset drivers.  I'm a little leery about whether it makes a real difference.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 15
Since Grados have hot treble, you'll notice more detail before you have to turn the volume up to hear all the music.. sorry if it sounds like a fanboy post, but it's the same thing with Etymotic ER4's, K701, and HD600 in experience.

Anything that is bright lets older people with naturally diminishing ability to hear detail at certain frequency responses enjoy music like it sounded a long time ago hehehe. I mean that in an absolute respectful way. I just like that signature because it's just brutal with electric guitar.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 15
If you want to have loud and powerful sound, lower the treble and upper mids on a good equalizer; those are the most damaging frequencies on your ears. Generally, I keep the treble and upper mids down at any volume since I find them loud, piercing, painful, annoying, etc.

Headphones you can try are the Ultrasone HFI-580 and Ultrasone PRO-550 which have very aggressive and energetic sound signatures.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
If you want to have loud and powerful sound, lower the treble and upper mids on a good equalizer; those are the most damaging frequencies on your ears. Generally, I keep the treble and upper mids down at any volume since I find them loud, piercing, painful, annoying, etc.

Headphones you can try are the Ultrasone HFI-580 and Ultrasone PRO-550 which have very aggressive and energetic sound signatures.

Many reports suggest it´s the SPL no matter frequencies that hurt the ears? Feels like a gamble equalize down the higher FR and then rock on :)

Ultrasone is good because they do really punish your ears if you push it up to loud if nothing else.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Many reports suggest it´s the SPL no matter frequencies that hurt the ears? Feels like a gamble equalize down the higher FR and then rock on :)

Ultrasone is good because they do really punish your ears if you push it up to loud if nothing else.

Just copy and pasting:

http://www.american-hearing.org/disorders/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

"The most damaging type of sound is in the high-frequencies. Violins and violas can be sufficiently loud to cause permanent hearing loss. This is typically worse in the left ear, which is nearer the instrument."

ClieOS:
"Generally volume is calculated in total, but our hearing receptors are working on different principle on low and high freq. For low freq, it is the whole eardrum that pickup the vibration. For high freq, it is those tiny hair-like sensor on the back of the eardrum. So structurally speaking, the whole eardrum is a stronger structure than the tiny sensor, and make it more tolerable to volume. That is why when hearing damage happens, it usually is the high freq that is gone first."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569876/feeling-high-frequencies#post_7725570

I suppose this all makes sense since loud bass never really made my ears exhibit temporary tinnitus like loud mids or highs. I can also tolerate bass at longer periods before fatigue sets in.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #12 of 15
Use any high distortion source/amp with a headphone that measures equally mediocre and you can get that full-on 'high impact' sound. A tube amp with high second order harmonics and perhaps some third ones thrown in for fun and a little bit of 'edge' is as good a start as any.

Should that for some reason still not be enough, make sure the amplification of choice has high output impedance too. It will add that lovely rubber ball effect of an underdamped driver. Perfect for impact and seriously booooomy bass.

A sign of low distortion and sound engineering is the volume you can listen to without noticing to much just how loud it is.

Or you can just get a pair of HD25's if you can stand the vice-like grip! They have good 'impact'.

As always, my opinion only.

regards

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #13 of 15
Headphones should have highs and bass elevated, especially deep bass - DT770 250 Ohm .
Or dynamic range compressed - Yuin G2A.
Or both qualities mixed in perfect proportions - MTPC. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 15
I don't think bright headphones play much sound past 20khz though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back