Headphones suitable for Sony A845 with sound limiter.
Aug 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kuskus

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, first post here.
I could do with some help. Im one of the many who bought the Sony A845 in europe to find the volume to low due to EU imposed sound limiter. I understand that sony are not interested in a firmware upgrade to remedy the situation and so im stuck with it.

Im wondering if different phones would help. A few years ago i was surprised to hear a friends Sennheiser DJ phones on the end of my ipod. They were much louder than the IEMs i had or my grado 125s. Could it be the fact they were higher impedence?
Their specs were 120spl and 70ohms.
Please tell me if im wasting my time ( and money ) by buying different phones or not.
Thanks.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 7
Yes impedance is important.
You certainly should be looking for lower impedance IEMs (16 ohm)
Maybe "ljoker" can post what he thinks drives easily (but you may need to specify how much you want to spend).
For my lot, the RE-ZEROs drives the easiest of all ive got. on my walkman its 9/30 volume (no restrictions).
I will say the Meelec M9s i had to drive a far bit harder (not sure why)

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Shame to hear that. Im not set in stone when it comes to Walkmans. I would have been happy with a Nano to be honest but the attraction was it records BBC iplayer radio and tv.
That was the clincher for me and i have used it a lot to record late night radio shows i never catch and tv.
I personally wasnt that impressed with the noise cancelling phones and replaced them with Klipsch s4s which are to bass light even with comply tips. If its a solution im willing to pay money for a good set of closed backs.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Shame to hear that. Im not set in stone when it comes to Walkmans. I would have been happy with a Nano to be honest but the attraction was it records BBC iplayer radio and tv.
That was the clincher for me and i have used it a lot to record late night radio shows i never catch and tv.
I personally wasnt that impressed with the noise cancelling phones and replaced them with Klipsch s4s which are to bass light even with comply tips. If its a solution im willing to pay money for a good set of closed backs.

I guess it is suitable for your needs. It was too quiet for me, my hearing is poor at the best of times so it had to go quite loud.
I wish it didn't have the cap otherwise I would of kept it.

Did you read the thread over at AVForums?

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 7
I love the sound of my Walkman, but alas Sony has missed its chance of any good market share from the standard public (i think they lost their chance in the network walkman days as they were certainly the king of cassette players
Yesterday i went to a big retailer and asked "were are your mp3 players ?" The attendant gave me a blank look.
I then said "iPods". "Oh over there" he replied
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back