Headphones (pref. < $300) that pair amazingly well with Schiit Asgard?
Jul 27, 2011 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fusedpro

100+ Head-Fier
I was originally just going to get some HD598s (and still might depending on how this thread turns out), but I wanted to see what a slight raise in budget could get me. I have no idea what sort of sound I want as I only own a pair of HD280 Pros, so my experience is limited. Something fun, but not overly coloured, maybe? No idea...

They will be for home use only, not worried about leaking sound or anything, so open headphones are okay (and probably preferred). My music collection is decently varied, but I will be listening to a fair amount of classical and a rock-based genres. If you would like a listing of some of my favourite bands, just ask and I'll post up a list.

I can't think of much else to add outside of what the title already states -- less than $300 USD and pairs well with the Schiit Asgard.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the amp will be plugged in to my computer's soundcard -- an HT Omega Striker. Not sure if that makes any difference or not, but just letting that fact be known. I'm in the process of reripping my music to 320 kbps  (my Zune software defaulted to 192 kbps...). Classical music was bought through Amazon MP3, so the bitrate varies, but from what I have seen, it is generally above 200. I do have some FLACs, but only for my favourite band (Jimmy Eat World). Long story short, nothing I have is below 192 kbps.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 11
The Sony SA5000 are highely recommended and few others are like DT 880(600 Ohm), HD600, HD650, K702, Ultrasone HFi2400/2500, FA-002, D2000, SR325i and AD1000.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 11
I think the absolute perfect headphone for the Asgard was the HD-600. Just near perfect, but less so with the HD-650. Still not bad and quite good for the HD-650 though. I also loved the D2000 and ATH-AD2000 with the Asgard.

The only headphones I 100% would NOT suggest for the Asgard are the K702 and K601. The K702 on the Asgard seems to have recessed mids and severe loss of background detail. By comparison the AKG sounds far, far better on the E9. Yes, you read that right. It doesn't mean the Asgard is a bad amp. Supposedly Schiit made them sound better with the AKG headphones so maybe I had an earlier Asgard. You can ask them. You can find other people on here who didn't like the K702 on the Asgard also.

The K601 is terrible with the Asgard and actually makes them very fatiguing somehow. It's just as bad with the K240 Sextett.

For me, the best match for the Asgard were the HD-600 and D2000.

I also forgot that the DT-880 32/250 sounds great on the Asgard. The DT-880 600 will only be good if you're using a full sized CD player or powerful DAC. Don't even think about using a docked Ipod with that combination
regular_smile%20.gif
You'd need to max the volume..seriously.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 11
If I could find an HD580, how would those pair with the Asgard? How about the headphone as a whole, I heard the 580s are basically an older HD600, but I have no idea...

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
If I could find an HD580, how would those pair with the Asgard? How about the headphone as a whole, I heard the 580s are basically an older HD600, but I have no idea...

Should be just as good as the HD-600 since I believe it uses the same drivers? You can even replace the stock grill with the HD-600 grill if you wanted.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Heya,

Woa, hold the phone. We're talking about really good mid-tier gear to be fed from a non-lossless music source over a soundcard DAC?

Eh, a $250 amp and a soundcard as source and now you want headphones that cost about as much as your amp? Man, I would have suggested you use all this budget to get a great pair of headphones, and a good discrete external DAC, and use the least of your budget on an amplifier. As it is, a great headphone and a good amp with a meh source signal coming in is just going to amplify a poor source, or medicore to average source. The HT Omega is not a great DAC, it's just acceptable. But at this point, you're going into the $600 range of setup cost, and your source is the absolute weakest link here and also limits you to your computer. All the noise (computer) and poor components of that soundcard are going to be amplified and heard. And to top this off, your music collection isn't even lossless. I can hear a difference between FLAC (lossless) and 320kbps compressed MP3 (it sounds congested, holes in frequencies, compared to crystal clear in FLAC for tracks I test against).

Since you already have the amplifier, and it's great, and you're after headphones, I can't help but stress you need to get lossless source material as your absolute most prime next thing you do. There's no point in having all this high fidelity gear if you're using compressed low quality material. And the second most important thing you should be looking to change is your DAC to be something better than a soundcard in a computer. Again, source is source. The amplifier only amps what the source gives it. And your headphones render what your amp is amplifying. A low quality source will not sound magically better, it will actually sound worse when amplified and good headphones will reveal it a lot more than poor headphones.

So before you spend $600 or so on a setup, you should really focus on having a good source (your actual music) and a good DAC to take that lossless audio and make it into a signal to be amplified. This is the weakest link in your setup.

On topic to your request, the Sennheiser HD600, BeyerDynamic DT880 600ohm and even some Grados SR225i's would be really nice paired up for your music selection tastes.

Please don't take the above as crapping on your situation, but I really would rather you have this equipment and be able to actually take advantage of it and enjoy it. Having a poor source is killing your setup. I'll get off my soap box now.
evil_smiley.gif

Very best,

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:

Noted. I plan on purchasing a DAC later down the road when I have some more money to spend and my other hobbies die down, but for now I am just looking for some decent headphones. From my HT Omega Striker to my amp, I do not hear any fuzz, hiss, or anything resembling computer noise, so that's good enough for me (for now). Admittedly, my HD280 Pros are far from ideal, but I could not tell the difference between 320 kbps MP3 files and FLAC files. Yes, technically speaking they are different and the FLAC is superior, but if my ears cannot hear the differences, why bother?

I appreciate the suggestions so far, but I'm still heavily considering the HD598 because of the amazing reviews I have read (supposedly a very fun headphone to listen to). The cheaper price-tag is also much nicer on my wallet.

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Noted. I plan on purchasing a DAC later down the road when I have some more money to spend and my other hobbies die down, but for now I am just looking for some decent headphones. From my HT Omega Striker to my amp, I do not hear any fuzz, hiss, or anything resembling computer noise, so that's good enough for me (for now). Admittedly, my HD280 Pros are far from ideal, but I could not tell the difference between 320 kbps MP3 files and FLAC files. Yes, technically speaking they are different and the FLAC is superior, but if my ears cannot hear the differences, why bother?

I appreciate the suggestions so far, but I'm still heavily considering the HD598 because of the amazing reviews I have read (supposedly a very fun headphone to listen to). The cheaper price-tag is also much nicer on my wallet.

Heya,

All good sir, just trying to give you a heads up before you spend and spend and wonder what's going on.

If you're interested in the HD598, check this out ($160, like new).

Plus it looks so nice.

Very best,

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Save for the HD600 - I find the HD598 faster and brighter, but the Bass seems to have lost out in the bargain. The Low notes seem to be clumped together in a fuzzball and don't layer as well as on the HD600.

By the Way, there is a MUSE DAC on sale in the forums right now- $50 is a good price for a reasonable DAC.

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 11
Wasn't it on the Schiit's website something about the Asgard being tested/developed precisely around the HD600?

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Heya,

All good sir, just trying to give you a heads up before you spend and spend and wonder what's going on.

If you're interested in the HD598, check this out ($160, like new).

Plus it looks so nice.

Very best,

Yeah, I saw that ad. Good price, but for ~$20 more, I can get them brand new from J&R with a warranty, too.

Quote:
Wasn't it on the Schiit's website something about the Asgard being tested/developed precisely around the HD600?

Instead of interpreting what they said, here's a quote directly from Schiit's FAQ on the Asgard --

Quote:
Do you really think we’re going to tell you it sounds worse? Or that we’ve listened to every headphone amp on the market? We’ve listened to a lot of them, and Asgard is a credible competitor even to products that cost much more. Especially if you’re listening with low-impedance headphones. If you haven’t heard Asgard and Grados, you’re missing out on one of the most amazing things in life. And, oddly enough, both low-impedance and high-impedance Senns love the amp–think 555s to 598s, 580s to 650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back