Headphones plus Amp/DAC combo < 350 $
Nov 14, 2010 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

koltkommando

New Head-Fier
yeah yet another n00b in the community
atsmile.gif

I am looking for a headphone and amp/dac combo for 300$ for home use.
I listen more to rock,metal and do hear to other genres too. Was going through those tonnes of reviews and forum threads in head-fi and have jotted few headphones
1.MS1i
2.SR80i
3.M50
4 AD 700
5 AKG 240 Mk_II
6 AKG K701
7 DT 770

Though i havent spend more than 20$ for any headphones so far and have no clue how these cans gonna sound like.
Help me out

and thanx

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 10
Considering that you are starting out I'd suggest something that does many things well. My pick would be the M50s. They are well balanced with a decent emphasis on bass and treble, but not overly so. It was one of my first headphones and still one of my very faves.

As for an amp/dac, A Fiio E7 is a popular and affordable amp+dac. It works decently well as a portable amp, but the main draw is the great dac that it has.

Though most of the headphones you mentioned don't need much in the way of amping (aside from ones like the K701), you could also get the E9 which is a desktop amp that has a dock for the E7, While the E7 is docked, it acts a dac, while the E9 is a powerful amp that can drive many headphones.

The three I mentioned are $300 total or so, though the E9 is not needed unless you want a strong amp to use later on if and when you decide on getting a more expensive headphone.

That's my suggestions. I think it's kinda illogical to spend a LOT on your first time out, as you may be more than thrilled with what you get first.

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

If buying a Grado for rock / metal music, I suggest considering the used SR225 for $150 in the for sale forum. Then pair it with the uDAC2 for ~$130. I don't own either.  

From your list, I'd want to try the MS1i and M50 for rock music. However, I doubt I'd prefer either to my modded RX700. My current rock system: Prodigy HD2 sound card > x-head amp > modded RX700 (see my sig).

Quote:
I am looking for a headphone and amp/dac combo for 300$ for home use.
I listen more to rock,metal and do hear to other genres too. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 10
I can vouch for the E7 + M50 combo as a good place to start if you want to pocket some change. I prefer the MS-1i overall but I don't like how it pairs with the E7.

If I were you, I'd spend it all on a mid tier Grado or Alessandro and worry about an amp if/when the upgrade bug hits.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I can vouch for the E7 + M50 combo as a good place to start if you want to pocket some change. I prefer the MS-1i overall but I don't like how it pairs with the E7.

If I were you, I'd spend it all on a mid tier Grado or Alessandro and worry about an amp if/when the upgrade bug hits.

Thnx for the feed

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 10
The 880's and 225 are in a different class compared to the M50. The M50 is suggested as a starter headphone that will allow you to spend the rest of your budget on a proper DAC/Amp. If you get the FiiO E7/E9 and the M50, then you will never need to upgrade your DAC/Amp unless you want to go into extreme high end like tube amps.

The 225 is very efficient and will not "require" an amp by any stretch but will benefit from one greatly.

The DT 880 is going to need the E9 to get the most out of it.

Honestly I think M50 + FiiO is the best starter option, because once you're ready to upgrade all you're worrying about is headphones as the E9 will be able to drive anything you buy in the future from here on out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back