Headphones near the $100 range
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KJSmith

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Definitely someone new to buying a more expensive set of headphones. I'm looking to buy a new set of headphones and have a budget of around $100. (Yes, I know a really good pair could cost a lot more...but when I've only really used what has come with a product I have bought...this is a big step :) ) I listen to a lot of progressive rock...so I want to be able to hear the whole range of what is going on.  For the most part, I would be using them at home...but definitely want to take them on the road.  They will either be plugged into my iPod touch or home entertainment system.  From what I've read, the Sennheiser 230pros are supposed to be good bang for the buck...but would love to hear any other thoughts on headphones that would meet my needs.

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi!

Definitely someone new to buying a more expensive set of headphones. I'm looking to buy a new set of headphones and have a budget of around $100. (Yes, I know a really good pair could cost a lot more...but when I've only really used what has come with a product I have bought...this is a big step :) ) I listen to a lot of progressive rock...so I want to be able to hear the whole range of what is going on.  For the most part, I would be using them at home...but definitely want to take them on the road.  They will either be plugged into my iPod touch or home entertainment system.  From what I've read, the Sennheiser 230pros are supposed to be good bang for the buck...but would love to hear any other thoughts on headphones that would meet my needs.

Thanks!

Home entertainment system?, like a receiver?

The Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) to me are about the best sound headphones for $100.
They usually sell for around $85.
Not for people with big heads.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 5
Sony MDR-V6. Nothing else even comes close.

Closed backs and sensitive, great for Iphone.

Relatively flat, good bass, not fatiguing.

Fold for transportation.

Rugged

BEST sound quality of any headphone I've heard under $100. Makes the Grado SR60i sound like those little throw away buds that come with the iphone by comparison.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Some other popular ones not mentioned are the Grado SR-80i, Alessandro MS1, and Fostex T50RP. Ultimately, all we can do is throw out a few good options and you'll have to decide to take the risk on one. There are different headphones good for different genres, but even within headphones that produce the same kind of sound there are plenty of people who will hate one model and plenty who will love it. Your best bet is to just try something and see if you like it (and remember, give it time before you make a final judgment on them. "Mental burn-in" is some pretty powerful stuff).

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 5
There really are lots of good reviews here and on this site and on Amazon. Read those, choose. But:

1. Decide if you want isolation or not (ie to block out external sounds.) If so, you need closed phones not open ones like the otherwise excellent Grados.

2. If you want phones for the iPod then you are better in the iems and portable phones forum; go there and look at ljokerll's enormous "shootout" thread.

3. Do not neglect comfort - some people don't get on with very popular phones like the Grados or HD25s, so if you decide on these buy from somewhere with a return policy. Oh - and don't neglect or assume toughness (ahem.... $400 Focal Spirit One.. cough... falls apart even during reviews... cough.)

...If you want closed phones, then the suggestion of the Sony V6 is probably one of the safest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back