Headphones for studio use.
Jul 28, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #31 of 41

Quote:
Making a flat response headphone is not that costly; look at the HD 280 or AKG K240(DF). The HD800 is not designed to be flat; also note that the more expensive the headphone are, the chance that it won't be flat. Expensive headphones are for audiophiles that like 'fun' in their music. Flat does not necessarily mean fun; look at the HD650. Sure, it cost more than the HD600, but it doesn't have a flat response at all. The HD650 has more bass than the cheaper HD 600(which is considered neutral). Another example is the DT 880 and DT 990. The 990 is considered a higher model(due to number and pricing), but does it have a flat frequency response? Not even close.

Also,

Balanced = frequency response with a bit of small hills and dips, but nothing too extreme (or too noticeable.) 
Flat = frequency response as close to ruler-straight(except the treble part). 

I'm agree with this one, the hps companies just trying to sell you expensive audiophiles fantasy, and most of the time they'll add their own version to the story. But the audiophiles dudes got a good excuse for this blof (I meant sound coloration) they called it FUN...lol, how it can be so much fun if you're hearing just a part of the notes/music, and the rest is muted or roll off , and in some cases the notes are taken hostage by some overpower bass.

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #32 of 41
The K240 DF may seem bass light to some but only because the amplifier might not be up for the job and the DF does not have the characteristic 'bump' in the low range. It gives you the source...

Pioneer Monitor 10, with some power and a decent set up prepare for Pioneer goodness. The DT48, the E-25 in my case demands you overcome a mental hurdle. If you can it will amaze you.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #33 of 41

Quote:
The K240 DF may seem bass light to some but only because the amplifier might not be up for the job and the DF does not have the characteristic 'bump' in the low range. It gives you the source...

Pioneer Monitor 10, with some power and a decent set up prepare for Pioneer goodness. The DT48, the E-25 in my case demands you overcome a mental hurdle. If you can it will amaze you.

All the AKG @ 600 ohms needs a good hps amp, as well they can go with tubes very well. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

What's the hurdle? I've never heard them.

It has been discussed in the DT48-thread but that will not prepare you. Listen to a headphone like the AKG K400, Sony CD900 ST or Pioneer Monitor 10 and then listen to the DT48E. The DT48E will only give you what is on the source and you are able to perceive details through that midrange very few headphones can get close to. 

Compared to most headphones the DT48E does not sound 'pleasant' but 'extremely analytical'. You only get what is on the source. A capable amplifier can help though.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #36 of 41

Quote:
Compared to most headphones the DT48E does not sound 'pleasant' but 'extremely analytical'.

I wander what you'll have to say about the DT48S.
happy_face1.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #38 of 41

i agree with you. i never once found the df's bass light at all. they sound like high dampen bass to me like running good speakers on a good class a/b amplifier. i really enjoy my df's and my sextetts lp a lot. i'm more into studio headphones cause i care about something that just gets the job done,and done right. also if anyone ever heard what real deep bass sounds like in the fundamental frequency range then people would know how a big 64-128ft pipe organ sounds like if they want that deep rumble.

i never heard the monitor 10's and dt48's. so there is different versions as well? how can you tell if it's dt48E or dt48S?

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

Compared to most headphones the DT48E does not sound 'pleasant' but 'extremely analytical'. You only get what is on the source. A capable amplifier can help though.

****, sounds scary...
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #41 of 41
AKG K702 is open and has replaceable cord, very important. K601 does not have replaceable cord, but you can look around and buy two for what one K702 costs, so the lack of replaceable cord isn't an issue.

DT880, latest version, may require some midrange boost, but it is monitor quality and very comnfortable. They sound rather open.

The AKG HEARO 999 is monitor quality and wireless as well. Long discontinued but you may find a used set with the spare headset. They were packaged with two headsets at a special price when being cleared out of inventory. You get a wired headamp that is perfect for AKG cans and you get a good quality DAC and some useful signal processing in the bargain.

You can change the sound of full size AKG cans by switching from velour to pleather earpads. I have one 999 headset fitted with pleather and the other one with velour. The pleather earpad gives more of an upfront K601 sound and the velour earpad gives more laid back sound with less midrange and more prominent bass. Sort of like if you changed out leather furniture with soft padded fabric furniture in your listening room.

Grado isn't comfortable enough for me to consider for longterm monitoring use day after day.

The HEARO 999 digital wireless is probably the flattest sounding cans I have ever used. The DT880 is midrange recessed and the K601 is midrange forward, but neither one is by much.

I was a longtime Sennheiser user, but I decided that their cans had a pleasant coloration intended to impress people to make lots of sales. Still, those who had only used cheap cans were impressed when they heard them.

Grado has some build quality issues. 3 out of 3 SR200 sets had manufacturing defects when I inspected them before buying back in 1995. The third set had the defect visible when I got home with it and looked very closely. Grado customer service said go ahead and use them and if they broke where the crack was at, they would replace them. Well, they never completely broke, but I never used them much because of the comfort issues. Mainly used the Sennheisers until they finally broke, then I went looking for new cans and got Beyerdynamic and AKG cans. AKG is my favorite now, 999 and K601.

I haven't owned Audio Technica, but they should be considered if looking for open cans.

Stay away from super expensive audiophile cans. Almost zero recording engineers use them. You can EQ out a set of cans you otherwise like by listening to a lot of recordings. If the bassy ones sound bassy and the bright ones sound bright and the midrange sounds clear and natural on good recordings, then you have a good set of cans. Not enough high end cans get sold to make them value for money. You pay 3X for a 10% improvement, and you should spend the extra money on 2 more sets of similar midrange priced cans so you can have different cans for different use.

The DT880 sounds more flat when you use reverb surround mode on the 999 base transmitter and volume is moderate. The K601 sounds more flat when surround is off and volume is high. The 999 wireless cans sound more flat in other situations. The DT880 sounds more flat out of my cheap CD player phone jacks. K301 beats all my higher priced cans straight out of my computer audio monitor hp jack.

Even the highest priced cans seem to not be able to do it all, so 3 or 4 midrange cans that have different complementary character work better for me. One of them seems to work very well in any situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back