Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 28, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #11,281 of 12,315
Hey,

coming from IEMs I have no clue or knowledge about headphones. But I want some. And now I need your help :)

What do I like?

- I like a big, warm sound with emphasized bass, I enjoy when it rumbles and goes deep
- The bass should be fast and precise (especially when I'm listening to technical death metal)
- I prefer a musically tuning and an engaging sound signature, so I'm more one the fun side than on the analytical side
- Nevertheless the sound shouldn't be muffled, boxy or that the bass bleeds into the mids and highs
- I like good highs and an airy, open sound, but I can't stand piercing highs, sibilance or a fatiguing sound

Is there anything out there around 300€ that could fit my taste?

Thanks a lot for your help

What IEMs do you have that have the sound you're looking for?

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #11,283 of 12,315
At the moment I only have and use the FiiO FD5 and I really, really like them.

Got it. I think the Sundara might work if you EQ to your sound preference. Planars take EQ very well, and have better speed than dynamic drivers at the same price point, which helps with detail retrieval with extreme metal and getting great texture on electric guitars. The only issue might be lack of punch and slam on drum hits - the Sundara is not known for that and it's not easy to EQ in. When I had the Arya V2, which also doesn't have great oomph on drums, I did not really like metal on them. Fortunately Arya V3 fixed that issue and sounds phenomenal with metal.

Now, a lot of people say the new Edition XS sounds very similar to the Arya V3 at less than a third of the price, so if you can stretch the budget to 500, that could be the way to go.

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #11,284 of 12,315
Got it. I think the Sundara might work if you EQ to your sound preference. Planars take EQ very well, and have better speed than dynamic drivers at the same price point, which helps with detail retrieval with extreme metal and getting great texture on electric guitars. The only issue might be lack of punch and slam on drum hits - the Sundara is not known for that and it's not easy to EQ in. When I had the Arya V2, which also doesn't have great oomph on drums, I did not really like metal on them. Fortunately Arya V3 fixed that issue and sounds phenomenal with metal.

Now, a lot of people say the new Edition XS sounds very similar to the Arya V3 at less than a third of the price, so if you can stretch the budget to 500, that could be the way to go.
Sounds good, thanks.

I get the Sundaras tomorrow and next week the Denon D5000 and the D 700 Pro X.
First time in my life really listening to music with headphones then, after that I can probably tell more what I like and what not.

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #11,285 of 12,315
Actually i I can use a Denon AH-D5000, Fostex TH-610, Audio Technica ATH-R70x and Sennheiser HD560s. Do you think that it makes sense to upgrade to a Hifiman HE-1000V2 or Focal Clear? Technically these headphones are excellent but I know that for rock & metal this could be a disadvantage because of bad or average productions. I read that the HE-1000V2 could be too bright and that it dissects the sound. What do you mean?

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #11,286 of 12,315
Actually i I can use a Denon AH-D5000, Fostex TH-610, Audio Technica ATH-R70x and Sennheiser HD560s. Do you think that it makes sense to upgrade to a Hifiman HE-1000V2 or Focal Clear? Technically these headphones are excellent but I know that for rock & metal this could be a disadvantage because of bad or average productions. I read that the HE-1000V2 could be too bright and that it dissects the sound. What do you mean?
I would never say that Focal Clear is an upgrade to Fostex TH-610. I would rather say 10 or 15 steps back. One of the most aberrant tonalities I've ever tried...

I have already tried many headphones, for me tonality is the most important thing, much more than technicalities, and I have not yet tried any with better tonality than the TH-610 (closed) or the Ananda (open).

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #11,287 of 12,315
Hey folks. I am looking for an open headphone + amp/dac combo around the 1200 USD mark, mainly for doom/heavy/stoner/black/symphonic and other kinds of metal. I have the Sundara so far and I really like them, and I would like to experience the next level. Would that be the LCD-X, or LCD-2, or perhaps another can altogether?

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #11,288 of 12,315
I get the Sundaras tomorrow and next week the Denon D5000 and the D 700 Pro X.
First time in my life really listening to music with headphones then, after that I can probably tell more what I like and what not.
Just a quick update since I got the Sundaras today.

They sound quite lovely in combination with the Qudelix 5K.

Don't miss bass right now after almost 2 hours of listening to some metal genres.

Looking forward to compare them to the Denon D5000 and the D 700 Pro X.

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #11,291 of 12,315
Jan 30, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #11,292 of 12,315

Users who are viewing this thread

Back