Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 18, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #11,312 of 12,322
The new RS2x sound spectacular with Prog-Metal music.

ut2idfM.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #11,313 of 12,322
Hey, could you guys recommend a closed back headphone (used/new) under $500 that works well for metal (death/black/doom). Something that doesn't necessarily need an amp and can be driven directly from a laptop? Preferred sound signature is slightly warm neutral with fast punchy bass, good presence of mids and smoother highs (staying away from sharp/super analytical sets)

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #11,314 of 12,322
Hey, could you guys recommend a closed back headphone (used/new) under $500 that works well for metal (death/black/doom). Something that doesn't necessarily need an amp and can be driven directly from a laptop? Preferred sound signature is slightly warm neutral with fast punchy bass, good presence of mids and smoother highs (staying away from sharp/super analytical sets)
Sony or Meze. Best you can stretch your budget to.

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #11,315 of 12,322
E-mu Teak if you want new. Not dark, but the highs are fairly neutral and smooth. I didn't detect anything harsh or any sibilance. If you're willing to buy used, it opens a lot more possibilities. If you want agile, quick bass, I don't think sub 500 dollar Meze or Sony is the ticket. If you're okay with a little fatter, slower, more rounded bass, then yes.

Feb 19, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #11,316 of 12,322
E-mu Teak if you want new. Not dark, but the highs are fairly neutral and smooth. I didn't detect anything harsh or any sibilance. If you're willing to buy used, it opens a lot more possibilities. If you want agile, quick bass, I don't think sub 500 dollar Meze or Sony is the ticket. If you're okay with a little fatter, slower, more rounded bass, then yes.
I can stretch a bit if there’s better options. Happy to look for something used. More of a fan of quick agile bass but should have enough punch to feel the kick drums but nothing too bass heavy (love lower mids so well controlled bass is where I am at) I am coming from. Have the beyers DT 770 80ohms now, love them very easy to work with but I can use a slight more punch and slightly softer treble plus the fixed long cable situation doesn’t help as well.
I will get a usb dac/amp in the future (RU6/PAW S2..) not willing to go back to desktop amps. It’s not convenient for my use. Appreciate the help. 🤘🏾

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #11,318 of 12,322
Feb 20, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #11,319 of 12,322
I think that Audeze Mobius is really good for this kind of music. IMO it checks all those boxes. Big plus for me is the integrated amp.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #11,320 of 12,322
I am surprised that the HD600 is marked as dark green. So it should be perfect for metal music? Does it have some sound qualities which a TH-610, R70x, HD560S, D-5000 don't deliver? And do you think that dynamic headphones are better for this genre because they sound more powerful? Most of the planars are a bit thin or the soundstage is too wide.

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #11,321 of 12,322
I am surprised that the HD600 is marked as dark green. So it should be perfect for metal music? Does it have some sound qualities which a TH-610, R70x, HD560S, D-5000 don't deliver? And do you think that dynamic headphones are better for this genre because they sound more powerful? Most of the planars are a bit thin or the soundstage is too wide.
Interesting theme...

Everything in this hobby is subjective. For my taste, the TH-610 is wonderful, the best closed I've ever tried. And the Ananda, the best open. But the HD600, HD650, etc, I wouldn't want them for free (I'd just say they're only good to burn in hell they should never have come out of :metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #11,322 of 12,322
Hehe, so you're not the biggest Senni-Fan. What's about your 371? I think it is very easy to drive and it has got a short cable for mobile phones. But the other AKGs are too flat and boring for rock.

The problem is that it is very difficult to test expensive headphones as a private person. I don't like to send it back as a used one. Does anyone here use a Hifiman HEKV2 or Focal Utopia for this genre? Are they too bright, the soundstage too wide?

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #11,323 of 12,322
Hehe, so you're not the biggest Senni-Fan. What's about your 371? I think it is very easy to drive and it has got a short cable for mobile phones. But the other AKGs are too flat and boring for rock.

The problem is that it is very difficult to test expensive headphones as a private person. I don't like to send it back as a used one. Does anyone here use a Hifiman HEKV2 or Focal Utopia for this genre? Are they too bright, the soundstage too wide?
The K371s are not bad, very similar tonality to Harman, and especially if you can apply a little EQ you can leave them very well. Do not expect great technicalities or much comfort, but for its price it is one of the best tonalities on the market.

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #11,324 of 12,322
My DT1990s rock to metal:dt880smile:

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #11,325 of 12,322
My DT1990s rock to metal:dt880smile:
Yes, I alternate them with the Denon AH-D9200s for some metal sub-genres, although I find the 1990 Pros suitable for all metal sub-genres with pleasant listening experiences with all of them.

Right now, listening to "Mägo de Oz" (spanish heavy metal) with the AH-D9200s :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back