Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 1, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #11,296 of 12,322
I found the GL2000 with the stock leather pads to be good for metal. They needed over 30 hours of burn in but when they got there, the shift was obvious. I would have hoped to chip in on the Edition XS here too but unfortunately mine were DoA. Ali Express seller being a real difficult operator...

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #11,298 of 12,322
I would say the ZMF Aeolus on tubes is a tasty endgame to enjoy metal🤘

PXL_20201112_160741252.MP.jpg

Feb 4, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #11,301 of 12,322
Hello!

I'm looking for new headphones for music, I mainly listen to melodeath. As my desktop will be the source, I also them while gaming.

I get a discounted price from my source, so I'm limited to certain brands: AKG, Audeze, A-T, Beyerdynamic, Denon and Sennheiser.

I've been eyeing the Audeze LCD-2 and X -models. Price wise they're quite similar, LCD-X being a bit more expensive. The requirement for EQ:ing does bother me, but is not a dealbreaker. How would these fare for my needs? Are there other brands that would be more suitable? I've heard Denon been mentioned a few times.

Thanks for help!

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #11,302 of 12,322
Looking forward to compare them to the Denon D5000 and the D 700 Pro X.
I liked the 700 Pro X, but the Sundara and the D5000 are way better (in my opinion).

Long story short, the Sundara (with little bass eq) and the D5000 are different but both excellent headphones. Actually I didn't want to have two.

But now here I am and I think, I have to keep them both.

IMG_0213.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #11,303 of 12,322
Hello!

I'm looking for new headphones for music, I mainly listen to melodeath. As my desktop will be the source, I also them while gaming.

I get a discounted price from my source, so I'm limited to certain brands: AKG, Audeze, A-T, Beyerdynamic, Denon and Sennheiser.

I've been eyeing the Audeze LCD-2 and X -models. Price wise they're quite similar, LCD-X being a bit more expensive. The requirement for EQ:ing does bother me, but is not a dealbreaker. How would these fare for my needs? Are there other brands that would be more suitable? I've heard Denon been mentioned a few times.

Thanks for help!
Haven't heard the LCD-X but I find the LCD-2 to be a great pairing with metal and they handling gaming duties nicely as well. I use a modmic with mine for an all-in-one desktop solution. I do think they require some mild EQ to sound "correct" in the mids (around the 3khz mark). They take EQ exceptionally well, though. If you want to boost subbass / midbass they'll happily comply. I think planars are hard to beat when it comes to faster metal genres. They have excellent speed and decay. From what I've read, the LCD-X are a touch more neutral than the 2's and come with better detail retrieval and technicalities, which may be beneficial for gaming. Be mindful of their weight though... they can put some strain on your neck during longer listening / gaming session.

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #11,304 of 12,322
I have been testing the LCD GX and the Fostex TH900 mk2 (forza hybrid noir cable) with the iDSD pro dac, and the TH900mk2 is really better for metal.
Across everything I tested, the vocals, drums, bass, instrumental separations are way better.
Especially listening to that old release of Agalloch, The Mantle, it's clear that the fostex give a better overall sensation. The GX is not bad, but it's.... lifeless for music. It is way better though with the SB X7 !:)

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #11,305 of 12,322
Haven't heard the LCD-X but I find the LCD-2 to be a great pairing with metal and they handling gaming duties nicely as well. I use a modmic with mine for an all-in-one desktop solution. I do think they require some mild EQ to sound "correct" in the mids (around the 3khz mark). They take EQ exceptionally well, though. If you want to boost subbass / midbass they'll happily comply. I think planars are hard to beat when it comes to faster metal genres. They have excellent speed and decay. From what I've read, the LCD-X are a touch more neutral than the 2's and come with better detail retrieval and technicalities, which may be beneficial for gaming. Be mindful of their weight though... they can put some strain on your neck during longer listening / gaming session.
I ultimately decided to order the LCD-2. Now have to wait for a few months! The weight didn't bother me at all during a hour long test, but let's see how they fare during longer sessions. At least I have the option to return, if they feel uncomfy.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #11,306 of 12,322
I ultimately decided to order the LCD-2. Now have to wait for a few months! The weight didn't bother me at all during a hour long test, but let's see how they fare during longer sessions. At least I have the option to return, if they feel uncomfy.
Nice! The weight never bothers me, even for 4+ hour sessions, but it’s always worth mentioning to anyone considering the Audeze sets.

Looking forward to your impressions once you get them in!

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #11,307 of 12,322
Hi metallovers! I was wondering if anyone listens to beautiful heavy music on wireless cans?
I'm looking for a portable solution with decent sound quality.
Some requirements:
- not boring, punchy and clear, but not too V-shaped sound signature
- LDAC or AptxHD/AptxAdaptive
- ANC isn't important
- sound quality is comparable to at least some entry level wired cans.
Some options I'm interested in:
Shure Aonic 40
Philips Fidelio L3
B&O HX/H95
Mark Levinson 5909 (they are new, huuuge and too expensive, but maybe they worth it)
Has anyone had any experience with them?
Sorry if it's offtop for this thread.

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #11,308 of 12,322
Hi metallovers! I was wondering if anyone listens to beautiful heavy music on wireless cans?
I'm looking for a portable solution with decent sound quality.
Some requirements:
- not boring, punchy and clear, but not too V-shaped sound signature
- LDAC or AptxHD/AptxAdaptive
- ANC isn't important
- sound quality is comparable to at least some entry level wired cans.
Some options I'm interested in:
Shure Aonic 40
Philips Fidelio L3
B&O HX/H95
Mark Levinson 5909 (they are new, huuuge and too expensive, but maybe they worth it)
Has anyone had any experience with them?
Sorry if it's offtop for this thread.
They are maybe a tad too relaxed, but Hifiman’s Deva Pro are really good. B&O are fast and precise, probably better for metal.

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #11,309 of 12,322
Hifiman Ananda are the only headphones I've tried with which I can listen to extreme Metal for hours, without effort.

There are certainly more exciting headphones for the genre, but I love the presentation of the Ananda, with a very refined sound, fast but relaxed, analytical at the right point but without being sterile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back