Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 26, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #11,266 of 12,322
One interisting song I am listening to, right now, is Colossus, from In Mourning.
It's very interisting because you have a lot of info there. The intro is full of drums impact, with both cymbal, fill and double bass, so it help distinguish both the bass strength, and the precision of trebles. Then as you move on, the song get more and more layer, as there are 3 guitars, 1 bass, drums. And they do play quite differently. As the song is quite well recorded it seems, it's a good testbed to my ears. and it ROCKS:) lot of energy there, and the way the guitar riff is hitting you is really impactfull. I'll test it with the LCD GX a bit later, but if someone know that song, I'd be curious to hear your feeling about song/headphone combo.

Thanks for the rec! I've been listening through Insomnium's Heart Like a Grave a few times recently and this track is right up my alley. Looking forward to listening on my Arya Stealth when I get the chance, which is fantastic for layering and imaging (I love experiencing drum fills on that open soundstage). I just listened on my Monarch MkII which has a beautiful midrange that really highlights the lead guitar riffs well.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #11,268 of 12,322
Thanks for the rec! I've been listening through Insomnium's Heart Like a Grave a few times recently and this track is right up my alley. Looking forward to listening on my Arya Stealth when I get the chance, which is fantastic for layering and imaging (I love experiencing drum fills on that open soundstage). I just listened on my Monarch MkII which has a beautiful midrange that really highlights the lead guitar riffs well.
Arya Stealth, that's a beautiful headphone set! and yes, Heart like a Grave is a gem, really a lot different than Winter's Gate, but that is what make Insomnium great I think:)

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #11,269 of 12,322
Hey,

coming from IEMs I have no clue or knowledge about headphones. But I want some. And now I need your help :)

What do I like?

- I like a big, warm sound with emphasized bass, I enjoy when it rumbles and goes deep
- The bass should be fast and precise (especially when I'm listening to technical death metal)
- I prefer a musically tuning and an engaging sound signature, so I'm more one the fun side than on the analytical side
- Nevertheless the sound shouldn't be muffled, boxy or that the bass bleeds into the mids and highs
- I like good highs and an airy, open sound, but I can't stand piercing highs, sibilance or a fatiguing sound

Is there anything out there around 300€ that could fit my taste?

Thanks a lot for your help

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #11,270 of 12,322
No.

Your wish list sounds like a (near) perfect headphone. Can't be done for that budget. But welcome to this thread. :)

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #11,272 of 12,322
Hey,

coming from IEMs I have no clue or knowledge about headphones. But I want some. And now I need your help :)

What do I like?

- I like a big, warm sound with emphasized bass, I enjoy when it rumbles and goes deep
- The bass should be fast and precise (especially when I'm listening to technical death metal)
- I prefer a musically tuning and an engaging sound signature, so I'm more one the fun side than on the analytical side
- Nevertheless the sound shouldn't be muffled, boxy or that the bass bleeds into the mids and highs
- I like good highs and an airy, open sound, but I can't stand piercing highs, sibilance or a fatiguing sound

Thanks a lot for your help
Impossible. Most 300 $ or euro normally are sibilance type with epic bass. The ones without sibilance but still airy, are usually bass lite such as HD 6XX.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #11,273 of 12,322
Damn :darthsmile:

Anything that goes in that direction?

So emphasised bass, engaging and fun sound signature, no sibilance?
There are a couple you might want to look at.
Meze 99 Classics,V-moda m100 master.I also have found the Beyerdynamic dt700 pro x to be very good,but might not have enough bass for you,although for me it has enough.None of them fill all of your requirements exactly,but are possibly the nearest you get for your price.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #11,274 of 12,322
Meze 99 Classics,V-moda m100 master.I also have found the Beyerdynamic dt700 pro x to be very good,but might not have enough bass for you,although for me it has enough.None of them fill all of your requirements exactly,but are possibly the nearest you get for your price.
How is the Beyerdynamic dt700 pro x ? Sibilance orientated like the originals ? My DT 770 pro 250 ohms after several months and years, no sibilance. Barely noticeable though.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #11,275 of 12,322
How is the Beyerdynamic dt700 pro x ? Sibilance orientated like the originals ? My DT 770 pro 250 ohms after several months and years, no sibilance. Barely noticeable though.
For me the 700 pro x has no sibilance at all,and I am very treble/sibilant sensitive.I have had a couple of different Beyers in the past,including the 770s, and the treble killed them for me.The best was the dt250,old school looks but great sound and no sibilance.
The 700 pro x have really surprised me.I didn't expect to like them as much as I do.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #11,276 of 12,322
For me the 700 pro x has no sibilance at all,and I am very treble/sibilant sensitive.I have had a couple of different Beyers in the past,including the 770s, and the treble killed them for me.The best was the dt250,old school looks but great sound and no sibilance.
The 700 pro x have really surprised me.I didn't expect to like them as much as I do.
How is the dt250 sound signature ? Does it works for metal ?
How would you compare the DT 770 pro and 700 pro x ?

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #11,277 of 12,322
How is the dt250 sound signature ? Does it works for metal ?
How would you compare the DT 770 pro and 700 pro x ?
Would'nt say the dt250 is really a metal headphone.The dt150 is probably more suited.
It's a long time since I had the 770s,but the main difference is the treble on the 700s is tamed.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #11,280 of 12,322
Thanks.

I just ordered the 700 Pro X and I can lend the Hifiman Sundara from a friend of mine. He said with a little bit EQ of the bass they kill every headphone he owned (he just has the Sundaras right now). Let's see :)

Edit: And my father has a Denon AH-D5000. So three headphones to test next week. Great!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back