Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 2, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #10,441 of 12,284
I want to like the recommendation but dislike the link, so I'll leave it as a push.

To be honest with you, I'm a Grado fanboy but I have to admit that I agree with some of his comments. The Hemp are in my opinion, one of the best headphones under $500/$600, but unfortunately a lot of people will not want to buy them because of the cable and the pads.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #10,442 of 12,284
Stoked to hear that. I think I'll jump on this pre-fazor LCD-2 v2 and see how it pans out. My Woo WA6 SE is on the way, I hope they'll pair well.
Pre-Fazor is the way to go, if you want sweet low end. If you can get em, grab em.

Also, yes, planars are generally easier to EQ than dynamics.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #10,443 of 12,284
To be honest with you, I'm a Grado fanboy but I have to admit that I agree with some of his comments. The Hemp are in my opinion, one of the best headphones under $500/$600, but unfortunately a lot of people will not want to buy them because of the cable and the pads.
To be perfectly blunt, I find some of these claims rather doobious. How are the highs, really? Do they seriously smoke the competition? What do you say, kind bud?

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #10,444 of 12,284
TBH the only reason I didn't buy them myself was they were out of stock. I am absurdly tempted to gamble on them and see whether to keep them or the 177x.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #10,445 of 12,284
To be perfectly blunt, I find some of these claims rather doobious. How are the highs, really? Do they seriously smoke the competition? What do you say, kind bud?

lol. I know you will probably think I'm smoking weed, but I have not heard one headphones under $500 as good as the Hemp since I've been in this hobby.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #10,447 of 12,284
How are the highs, really? Do they seriously smoke the competition?

Sorry I did not answer your question. The highs are not piercing like on most of the Grado headphones, I can listen to bands like Dimmu Borgir, Enslaved or Behemoth at a somewhat high volume and they are not bothering me at all.

I really think you will like them. They sound like a faster and more engaging version of the HD6XX with the lovely mids of the Grado, and the punch of the ZMF headphones.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #10,448 of 12,284
They are in stock at Crutchfield. I'm almost tempted to buy a second pair for the office.
I'm absolutely eyeballing them. It's a tough call. I know that a closed-back Beyer vs a Grado is gonna be quite a shift of sound character but your posts about them have me absolutely itching to try a set.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #10,449 of 12,284

I hate the pads and cable but I really enjoy the headphones.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #10,451 of 12,284
I hate the cable but I can tolerate the earpads. I hate to say that, but these days I'm probably using the Hemp more than the my two pair of ZMF headphones.
I know you've talked about it before, but before I pull the trigger, can you go over the bass situation with these? You know how it is with Grado.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #10,452 of 12,284
I'm absolutely eyeballing them. It's a tough call. I know that a closed-back Beyer vs a Grado is gonna be quite a shift of sound character but your posts about them have me absolutely itching to try a set.

If you don't like them, you will probably be able to resell them for the same price because I heard that they will be discontinued later this year.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #10,453 of 12,284
I know you've talked about it before, but before I pull the trigger, can you go over the bass situation with these? You know how it is with Grado.

It's hard for me because I'm not really a basshead, but I can tell you they have better and more bass than all the other Grado headphones and the HD6XX.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #10,454 of 12,284
It's hard for me because I'm not really a basshead, but I can tell you they have better and more bass than all the other Grado headphones and the HD6XX.

I'm not what I'd call a basshead myself, but I need some burly low end for my metal. I'll do some more mulling I suppose. I know they're limited and all. And jeez the reviews are amazing.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #10,455 of 12,284
Pre-Fazor is the way to go, if you want sweet low end. If you can get em, grab em.

Also, yes, planars are generally easier to EQ than dynamics.
Pretty fun for metal listening, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back