Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #9,586 of 12,284
My new mobile setup (Fiio BTR5 + Periodic Audio Be)

uc

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #9,587 of 12,284
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #9,588 of 12,284
New to Head-Fi posting but I enjoy the Audeze LCD-2 classics with extreme metal. I tried the ZMF Aeolus at CanJam So Cal last year and those were excellent with death metal and doom metal in particular.

I’m also looking for good IEMs for metal. I tried the Periodic Audio Be IEMs and they were good, but the non replaceable cable is a deal breaker for me at that price...

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #9,589 of 12,284
New to Head-Fi posting but I enjoy the Audeze LCD-2 classics with extreme metal. I tried the ZMF Aeolus at CanJam So Cal last year and those were excellent with death metal and doom metal in particular.

I’m also looking for good IEMs for metal. I tried the Periodic Audio Be IEMs and they were good, but the non replaceable cable is a deal breaker for me at that price...

Im partial to the audiosense t800, but you will need to tip roll a bit, and get a better full copper cable than they provide

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #9,590 of 12,284
I tried the ZMF Aeolus at CanJam So Cal last year and those were excellent with death metal and doom metal in particular. I’m also looking for good IEMs for metal. I tried the Periodic Audio Be IEMs and they were good, but the non replaceable cable is a deal breaker for me at that price...

The ZMF Aeolus are very good with Metal music :wink:

Why would you want to replace the cable on the Be? BTW, you can purchase a brand new pair of Be for only $179. (The discount code is BESTOF2019)

uc

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #9,591 of 12,284
Hey everyone. It's been a while.

Looking for some recommendations. I pared my collection down, but now I'm back looking for a new pair of headphones. I currently have the Hifiman HE4XX with ZMF pads, but I'm looking to upgrade.

I know I can get a an AEON Open V1 for about $400- 450. Is there anything cheaper that would be a definite upgrade over the HE4XX? Maybe a Hifiman Sundara?

Edit: I meant AEON Open m

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #9,592 of 12,284

Looking for some recommendations. I pared my collection down, but now I'm back looking for a new pair of headphones. I currently have the Hifiman HE4XX with ZMF pads, but I'm looking to upgrade.

I know I can get a an Ether Open V1 for about $400- 450. Is there anything cheaper that would be a definite upgrade over the HE4XX? Maybe a Hifiman Sundara?
I like sundara very much is some middle way betweeen 4xx and susvara ...

If you can find an aeon open o lcd2c used are good upgrade too...

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #9,593 of 12,284

Looking for some recommendations. I pared my collection down, but now I'm back looking for a new pair of headphones. I currently have the Hifiman HE4XX with ZMF pads, but I'm looking to upgrade. I know I can get a an Ether Open V1 for about $400- 450. Is there anything cheaper that would be a definite upgrade over the HE4XX? Maybe a Hifiman Sundara?

HD58X :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #9,594 of 12,284

If it is within your budget, the Fiio FH7 is my top pick for an IEM for metal, regardless of price.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #9,596 of 12,284
Amazing work, but your select of Death/Black albums looks very strange for me.

Alcest is not black metal, it is shoegaze with elements of black metal. Oranssi Pazuzu is psychodelic rock, that uses black metal ammo, but it's not bm by structure, sound and soul. You also ignored iconical Darkthrone recordings, that have a massive influence for dozens of black metal bands. Burzum is very well recorded, but for Immortal i also prefer a Eirik Pytten works, than awful Peter Tägtgren's The Abyss studio recordings. He kills sound with tons of manipulations. It's ok for Christina Aguilera but not for black metal. Many of modern black/death metal recordings also ignored in your list (like Peste Noire and Deathspell Omega). Maybe you are little bit sticked in late 80 and 90s.

Anyway a tons of respect for such work!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #9,598 of 12,284
Really?

I might have to check them out. They look comfortable as well. Have you tried gaming with them, by chance?

Yes I'm not joking and I'm surprised that nobody is talking about the HD58X here. I bought them in December and my pair was made in Romania. I don't know if they have changed something since they have started to manufacture the HD58X in Romania but I like them better than the HD6XX, HD660s and HD600 with Metal music. Actually, I got rid of my pair of HD6XX after hearing the HD58X. To my ears, the bass of the HD58X is faster and is better extended than the HD6XX. I'm sure that a lot people still prefer the warm sound of the HD6XX but I just found the HD58X more fun. For someone who only listening to vocal or acoustic music I would probably recommend the HD6XX but for Metal/Prog I prefer the HD58X. I'm only using the ZMF Aeolus when I'm at home, but the HD58X are perfect for the office.

Regarding your question about gaming with the HD58X, I'm not really a gamer so it's a bit hard for me to answer your question.

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #9,599 of 12,284
Yes I'm not joking and I'm surprised that nobody is talking about the HD58X here. I bought them in December and my pair was made in Romania. I don't know if they have changed something since they have started to manufacture the HD58X in Romania but I like them better than the HD6XX, HD660s and HD600 with Metal music. Actually, I got rid of my pair of HD6XX after hearing the HD58X. To my ears, the bass of the HD58X is faster and is better extended than the HD6XX. I'm sure that a lot people still prefer the warm sound of the HD6XX but I just found the HD58X more fun. For someone who only listening to vocal or acoustic music I would probably recommend the HD6XX but for Metal/Prog I prefer the HD58X. I'm only using the ZMF Aeolus when I'm at home, but the HD58X are perfect for the office.

Regarding your question about gaming with the HD58X, I'm not really a gamer so it's a bit hard for me to answer your question.
I actually don’t like the stock 58x for metal. Was too shouty. But then I swapped on Brainwavz hybrid angled pads and now Im happy with them. People need to try the AKG K371. Those are really good too.

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #9,600 of 12,284
The ZMF Aeolus are very good with Metal music :wink:

Why would you want to replace the cable on the Be? BTW, you can purchase a brand new pair of Be for only $179. (The discount code is BESTOF2019)

uc

NICE SETUP! I'll look more into the Periodic Audio Be if they can be had for $179. My fear with a captive cable is durability. But, the glowing reviews I've seen about them in this thread are tempting me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back