Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #9,571 of 12,302
Then the Periodic Audio Be would be perfect for your needs. Trust me, they sound really good with all types of Metal music.
I can second the Be recommendation. They sound fantastic with everything rock/metal. That's all I listen too pretty much and wow. Even driven by my phone they sound fantastic.
But, they are in ear, right? So, are they really durable? And how comfortable are they? I mean I guess that over ear headphones are way more robust and comfortable, but I may be wrong since I am not that experienced in this area. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #9,572 of 12,302
I need a pair of headphones that does not leak music, maybe just a bit, and that cannot be bothered by noise in surroundings.

If you are worried about leak, IEM:s like the Be phones linked above are virtually leak free. Personally I've never found a IEM I like, I vastly prefer the more speaker like sound of over ears and IEMs are very sensitive to how they are placed in the ear rendering enormous changes of the sound depending on how tight the fit. I would say the fit of a IEM is much more important than which driver it uses.

With that said, I have never heard the Be, maybe they are fantastic. Ultimately, one needs to test to do a educated buy.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #9,573 of 12,302
But, they are in ear, right? So, are they really durable? And how comfortable are they? I mean I guess that over ear headphones are way more robust and comfortable, but I may be wrong since I am not that experienced in this area. Correct me if I'm wrong.

They are very comfortable, durable and are coming with a 5-year warranty. (I'm using them with the Comply tips T400)

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #9,575 of 12,302
So, they are better than the other mentioned headphones (Meze 99 Noir, Sony mdr 1am2), I mean when we take into account price and specs and everything, right?

As I said, I haven't heard them, but "better" is very subjective. In particular since IEMs have a totally different soundstage than over ears, it's much a matter of preferences. I totally believe they can be as good as is said, but you need to test if you like wearing IEMs, maybe you love it. I know I hate it.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #9,576 of 12,302
As I said, I haven't heard them, but "better" is very subjective. In particular since IEMs have a totally different soundstage than over ears, it's much a matter of preferences. I totally believe they can be as good as is said, but you need to test if you like wearing IEMs, maybe you love it. I know I hate it.
Aha, yes, that makes sense! Thank you! Where can I try headphones? Here I have heard that it is possible to do that at meetings in a few really large cities, but I am not sure that I can go to any of them, so is there any other way?

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #9,577 of 12,302
Aha, yes, that makes sense! Thank you! Where can I try headphones? Here I have heard that it is possible to do that at meetings in a few really large cities, but I am not sure that I can go to any of them, so is there any other way?

Don't you have any HiFi-stores in Serbia? Maybe in a big city. Radio/TV-stores also sell headphones, and a lot of stores selling PC-parts stocks headphones as well. If they don't have a big testing station, walking in being friendly and interested usually works for being allowed to test some stuff in the store.

Additionally, you could see if there is some local HiFi-forum like this one, with only Serb members. Maybe they have meetings and listen and discuss these things, and even outside the big cities.

There could be some Facebook group already existing for Serb head-fiers, search Facebook for potential names of such a group.

Last resort is ordering stuff online, and return them if not pleased, but it's time consuming and frustrating. Ideally that should only be the last step when the decision is made.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #9,579 of 12,302
Don't you have any HiFi-stores in Serbia? Maybe in a big city. Radio/TV-stores also sell headphones, and a lot of stores selling PC-parts stocks headphones as well. If they don't have a big testing station, walking in being friendly and interested usually works for being allowed to test some stuff in the store.

Additionally, you could see if there is some local HiFi-forum like this one, with enly Serb members, maybe they have meetings and listen and discuss things like this one.

Last resort is ordering stuff online, and return them if not pleased, but it's time consuming and frustrating. Ideally that should only be the last step when the decision is made.
We have a bunch of stores that sell headphones, but I'm not sure that they have all the mentioned headphones, I think that they have only Sony MDR 1AM2. And yes, there are no testing stations, but maybe they will really allow me to test if I walk in and be completely friendly, but I don't know, I will maybe try.
And about forums, it is a good idea. I haven't thought of it and for some I have thought that such forums don't exist, but it seems that they do, I have just googled and found a few of them. All in all, thank you so much!

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #9,580 of 12,302
We have a bunch of stores that sell headphones, but I'm not sure that they have all the mentioned headphones, I think that they have only Sony MDR 1AM2. And yes, there are no testing stations, but maybe they will really allow me to test if I walk in and be completely friendly, but I don't know, I will maybe try.
And about forums, it is a good idea. I haven't thought of it and for some I have thought that such forums don't exist, but it seems that they do, I have just googled and found a few of them. All in all, thank you so much!

Check out the Periodic Be thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/periodic-audio-iems-mg-ti-be-c.840451/

Between that thread and the Review on Metal-Fi I purchased my pair of Be without hearing them and I really like thier signature. So good for rock and metal of all kinds. It an an organic sound that is detailed yet warm with no shrill or hard sounding mids/highs. Bass and mid bass hammer with weight but are also revealing and tight. Like a great live gig. No regrets at all. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #9,581 of 12,302
I have Sony mdr 1a, bought used like new for around 60€, and I really like it with metal. If you can find a pair of 1a or 1am2 you cannot go wrong

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #9,582 of 12,302
Well, my road to find my ultimate metal headphone is officially at an end.

How's it going with those? Have you had any issues with longer listening sessions (over an hour?). I hear mixed things, some say they can't handle any longer with the weight, others are fine. I've been tempted, but a guy who was selling a used pair decided to keep 'em, ha ha. I just sold my HE-6 and Shangri-La junior within 24 hours of each other, so I'm ready to shop!

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #9,583 of 12,302
Love them. No issues with comfort at all here, but I'm not the person to ask - despite a prolapsed disc in my neck I've never had any trouble with heavy headphones that seem to bother many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back