Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #9,556 of 12,284
Hello,

I have basically just signed up to this site in search for a pair of closed back, durable headphones up to 200$. I listen to black, heavy, death, thrash, symphonic metal, bands like System of a Down, Dio, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Serj Tankian, The Stone (link below), Katara (link below), Nightwish, Slipknot, Metallica, Iron Maiden... I have already tried to find something on the internet, that's how I stumbled upon this site and thread. I have read a large part of the very first post with table etc, but I am still not sure, so that's why I am asking here. Also, I am not quite sure how big the difference between the classes (like +, neutral etc) is, so that's one more reason for asking here. All in all, I just want to find a closed pair of headphones for listening to music casually, so no studio or whatever, which are durable and not easy to break and which of course provide a good sound quality and general experience of listening.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #9,557 of 12,284
Hello,

I have basically just signed up to this site in search for a pair of closed back, durable headphones up to 200$. I listen to black, heavy, death, thrash, symphonic metal, bands like System of a Down, Dio, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Serj Tankian, The Stone (link below), Katara (link below), Nightwish, Slipknot, Metallica, Iron Maiden... I have already tried to find something on the internet, that's how I stumbled upon this site and thread. I have read a large part of the very first post with table etc, but I am still not sure, so that's why I am asking here. Also, I am not quite sure how big the difference between the classes (like +, neutral etc) is, so that's one more reason for asking here. All in all, I just want to find a closed pair of headphones for listening to music casually, so no studio or whatever, which are durable and not easy to break and which of course provide a good sound quality and general experience of listening.

Try reading about the Meze Neo or 99 Classics. Theyre close to your price point and many like it for metal.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #9,559 of 12,284
Aha, thank you! I have just read a bit about the headphones you mentioned and it seems that they are a bit more expensive. So, are there a bit cheaper pairs?
Not sure if you can get Drop/Massdrop products where you live but I think theyre cheaper from there. Other than that I really dont know about closed backs in that price range that rock metal.

EDIT: I believe on Drop theyre called "Noir"
Also once youve been a member for a month and have 15 posts you can post an ad in the classifieds looking for a used pair from Europe.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #9,560 of 12,284
Not sure if you can get Drop/Massdrop products where you live but I think theyre cheaper from there. Other than that I really dont know about closed backs in that price range that rock metal.

EDIT: I believe on Drop theyre called "Noir"
Also once youve been a member for a month and have 15 posts you can post an ad in the classifieds looking for a used pair from Europe.
How big is the difference between the headphones you mentioned and other cheaper headphones? There is nothing cheaper that is closed back, durable and good for metal? Btw, I know that I did not really well defined what I want and what good really means, but in general good means basically just having near live experience of listening or just close to live experience.
And also about the headphones you mentioned, if one use them very often (like 4-5h per day) how long will they endure? I mean of course I will take care of them etc, but I am just asking what their expected lifetime is? And when they stop working, is it possible to replace a part of them or one has to buy a new pair?

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #9,561 of 12,284
Well, my road to find my ultimate metal headphone is officially at an end.

IMG_20200108_011020.jpg

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #9,563 of 12,284
Hello,

Both those clips sounds good on Sony MDR-1AM2, in particular the second clip, which actually has quite good sound quality regardless of genre. The Sonys are very light, comfortable, and play with great punch/slam without being harsh. Very high resolution. They are regularly sold below 200$, even if MSRP is 300$. I bought my pair brand new for 120$. They scale a lot with better amping. Recommended.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #9,564 of 12,284
Both those clips sounds good on Sony MDR-1AM2, in particular the second clip, which actually has quite good sound quality regardless of genre. The Sonys are very light, comfortable, and play with great punch/slam without being harsh. Very high resolution. They are regularly sold below 200$, even if MSRP is 300$. I bought my pair brand new for 120$. They scale a lot with better amping. Recommended.
Firstly, thank you for the recommendation!
Now, I have a few questions. Do those headphones leak sound? Can I listen to loud music in public via them without disturbing other people? And will I hear sounds from my surroundings when I use them? Also, what is their expected durability? And you mentioned amps, so do I need amps to achieve high quality sound on them? And do you maybe know where I can buy them in Europe for a low price? I mean I have seen that they cost around 250 euros here in Serbia.
Thank you in advance!

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #9,565 of 12,284
Firstly, thank you for the recommendation!
Now, I have a few questions. Do those headphones leak sound? Can I listen to loud music in public via them without disturbing other people? And will I hear sounds from my surroundings when I use them? Also, what is their expected durability? And you mentioned amps, so do I need amps to achieve high quality sound on them? And do you maybe know where I can buy them in Europe for a low price? I mean I have seen that they cost around 250 euros here in Serbia.
Thank you in advance!

They leak a little, since there are bass ports, but not much. Depends how sensitive the situation, no problems when commuting. Yes, you can hear the surroundings but it is very damped. My WH-H900N makes the surrounding dead silent because of ANC. I wouldn't suppose death metal needs a dead silent background though ....

They sound ok on smartphone out, a little too much bass, but still smooth and dynamic. However, they sound much better with a headphone amp than can deliver a low output impedance(and enough juice). Reaching reference class territory. Some Apple gear already has a low impedance and may work perfect out of the box. Android phones generally has less thought out audio.

Here for 142€:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B078VGLCHG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=1am2&qid=1578412668&sr=8-2

Oh, and durability, these are a Sony product and Sonys usually lasts for a long time. You can't sit on them though.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #9,566 of 12,284
Hello,

Do you absolutely need closed back headphones or you would be open to go with IEMs?

The Meze Noir is a very good recommendation, but in my opinion the best deal under $200 for Metal music is the Periodic Audio Be IEM. You can get them for $179 with the discount code : BestOf2019

https://periodicaudio.com/product/be/

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #9,567 of 12,284
They leak a little, since there are bass ports, but not much. Depends how sensitive the situation, no problems when commuting. Yes, you can hear the surroundings but it is very damped. My WH-H900N makes the surrounding dead silent because of ANC. I wouldn't suppose death metal needs a dead silent background though ....

They sound ok on smartphone out, a little too much bass, but still smooth and dynamic. However, they sound much better with a headphone amp than can deliver a low output impedance(and enough juice). Reaching reference class territory. Some Apple gear already has a low impedance and may work perfect out of the box. Android phones generally has less thought out audio.

Here for 142€:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B078VGLCHG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=1am2&qid=1578412668&sr=8-2

Oh, and durability, these are a Sony product and Sonys usually lasts for a long time. You can't sit on them though.
Then, it seems that they are really a nice pair of headphones. I will see others' opinions too and then later decide what to buy. However, even if I decide to buy them, it will probably be hard to find a place where they are being sold for a low price.
Unfortunately, the link that you have sent to me is not for Serbia. I mean it isn't possible to ship it to Serbia.
Also, how much do good amps cost? And do people usually use it for just free time listening? I mean it sounds like those things are mostly for studio things.
And I don't listen just to death metal, I listen to a bunch of other things, I have listed the majority of the bands in my first post. So, the surroundings won't worsen the listening experience, for example when someone listens to Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Dio and also things like Nightwish?

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #9,568 of 12,284
Do you absolutely need closed back headphones or you would be open to go with IEMs?

The Meze Noir is a very good recommendation, but in my opinion the best deal under $200 for Metal music is the Periodic Audio Be IEM. You can get them for $179 with the discount code : BestOf2019

https://periodicaudio.com/product/be/

I need a pair of headphones that does not leak music, maybe just a bit, and that cannot be bothered by noise in surroundings.

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #9,570 of 12,284
Then the Periodic Audio Be would be perfect for your needs. Trust me, they sound really good with all types of Metal music.
I can second the Be recommendation. They sound fantastic with everything rock/metal. That's all I listen too pretty much and wow. Even driven by my phone they sound fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back