Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 12, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #8,641 of 12,284
Sorry guys! I'll let you know how they sound... :metal:

I used to own the HE-5LE's. Old-school HFM was amazing. They've totally lost me as a customer over the past year or so.

Enjoy!

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #8,642 of 12,284
I used to own the HE-5LE's. Old-school HFM was amazing. They've totally lost me as a customer over the past year or so.

Enjoy!

Me too, no interest in anything other than a jade(never gonna happen) or an he6

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #8,643 of 12,284
Me too, no interest in anything other than a jade(never gonna happen) or an he6
HEK v2 is pretty good too

and happy to here @heliosphann got the HE 4! I'm excited to hear your input over on the HE 4 thread :3

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #8,644 of 12,284
Oh nice, I heard the liquid gold meshed well with the he6 so should workout with the he4! Glad someone snagged that I almost wanted to buy it just to have a backup

It does mesh well with HE-6. I'm on an early HiFiman kick right now and I'd never heard a HE-4 before. If I decide it's not for me, I'll give you guys in this thread first crack at it!

Speaking of older planars that I love with metal, just got another pair of pre-fazor LCD-2.2's. These things man, damn. I just ****ing love em. IMO the 2.2's are the best of the LCD-2 line. I even did a comparison with the Classic's, but overall just love the sound of the 2.2's more. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...ressions-thread.862174/page-156#post-14062048

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #8,645 of 12,284
It does mesh well with HE-6. I'm on an early HiFiman kick right now and I'd never heard a HE-4 before. If I decide it's not for me, I'll give you guys in this thread first crack at it!

Speaking of older planars that I love with metal, just got another pair of pre-fazor LCD-2.2's. These things man, damn. I just ****ing love em. IMO the 2.2's are the best of the LCD-2 line. I even did a comparison with the Classic's, but overall just love the sound of the 2.2's more. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...ressions-thread.862174/page-156#post-14062048

I have a preFazor 2 as well getting ready to do a LCD 2 review, comparing the modern offerings fazored and non, and seeing how they compare to a good 2.2 pre fazor!

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #8,646 of 12,284
DSC02674.JPG

Wow, this sounds just amazing:
Astell&Kern AK320 -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> iFi iCAN Pro -> Hifiman HE-6

Shipping took a while for the Yggy, but it was definitely worth it.
The HE-6 was really held back by my old DAC (Modi Multibit; it's not a bad DAC at all and it offers great price/performance, but on good recordings you notice quite a difference)

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #8,649 of 12,284
Finally got my Eikon this week. Im shocked at how detailed and revealing these can be, but non-fatiguing at the same time. Everything sounds like it's done live.

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #8,650 of 12,284
I find a lot of the jargon used to describe various attributes of the headphones described as pretentious. From the descriptions there's no detail on which instruments can/can't be heard and at what accuracy. As if that wasn't hard enough... I listen to a ton of metal. Metal is all about distortion and most albums are recorded terribly.

While I do admit headphones can breathe life into the musicality of the discord and DOOM I have to suggest you focus on more realistic attributes. A liquid canvas wide with dark and the breadth of air... I mean you get the point I'm jesting about here, right?

It's not science to say something like,

-Guitar distortion and throaty, howling, vocals are forward and accurate without fatiguing. No audible ringing. Headphones produce an accurate presentation of the track at even quiet listening levels.

I would say that's subjective but from the example you can infer guitar and vocals are important in this genre, the distortion is heavy and the headphones do not have ringing issues despite the harmonic content, and you can get the same presentation of instruments at all normal listening levels.

If someone doesn't understand that-- then of course I'm far off in my critique, but I guess I'm not the kind of person who responds to liquid canvas references when it comes to audio.

In all serious there is nothing malicious about this observation. What you are doing is VERY involved and takes into account hours of listening. It also doesn't make your observations any less valid. Unfortunately for both of us (here I am lecturing on the web) I can't trust the chart as a musician or enthusiast. The descriptions which compose your scale from worst to greatest attributes are made up of terms which describe a ethereal substance very much in the mind, but not music which is palpable and has distinct parts. It's important that you let people know how the music seems to be presented (acoustically), what parts of the music you can or can not hear, and if the headphones show signs of poor design (ringing, buzzing, or varied performance at various volumes). Remember that ethereal substance is much a part of YOUR experience and while placebo can impart that on others through suggestion the reality is that a lot of ears are different so the liquid canvases Jim hears are usually different than the liquid canvases Bob experiences with the same headphone.

Keep it up- I do love the organization of your chart (price v. perf) and the headphones you used to listen to your variety of heavy genres.

Metal and headphones are not a silly thing to see tested together. Despite a lot of flaws in recording there are no other genres which use drivers to achieve the same effects. There's musicians which have fierce debates over guitar speaker cabinets and they don't even first state that one plays metal/uses tons of fuzz and the other is doing classic garage rock. Anyway, keep working to expand people's understanding, and your own, of this genre and how it can be presented :)
Agree

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #8,651 of 12,284
Personally, I’d save up just a little bit extra and get the Periodic Beryllium. The gap between those and $1K+ flagship IEMs is pretty small, IMO. They are really incredible. Acoustic Research also has a couple of new IEMs that are pretty affordable, sound great and they also use beryllium drivers.

Man, are you right about that one. These things are getting a significant portion of my head time. They are startlingly good for the price. I really just hope the cable holds up because I'm really rough on cables and this thing is about as thin as they get.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #8,652 of 12,284
Man, are you right about that one. These things are getting a significant portion of my head time. They are startlingly good for the price. I really just hope the cable holds up because I'm really rough on cables and this thing is about as thin as they get.

Do you have any comparison to the V-moda Zn? They are the most expensive IEM's I have ever bought and think they sound pretty good.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #8,653 of 12,284
Do you have any comparison to the V-moda Zn? They are the most expensive IEM's I have ever bought and think they sound pretty good.

Wish I did. I like V-moda's designs. I actually haven't heard any IEM's besides cheap crap. This is my first foray into them. I was getting tired of over-ear headphones when flying and traveling and wanted something that would fit in my pocket and allow me to move my head around unrestricted. I love Periodic's approach to design and audio technology, being that they are all scientists.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #8,654 of 12,284
Hey people,

if I wanted to drop ~1000 Euros on new Headphones where would you go?

My main genres are Death, Thrash and Black. Also really important is that the headphones are comfortable I wear them for hours each day. I would really like your advice.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #8,655 of 12,284

Enjoy!

Hey people,

if I wanted to drop ~1000 Euros on new Headphones where would you go?

My main genres are Death, Thrash and Black. Also really important is that the headphones are comfortable I wear them for hours each day. I would really like your advice.

Shameless plug but I've got an HE 4 for sale, it was my go to for Metal for quite some time! I still think it's one of the best for the genre, though these days I've got other priorities to focus on ^^
Trying to trim down the collection to relevant in production[ish] reference points for my reviews. That an the wife needs a vehicle and I don't spend nearly as much time with these as I'd like to/should!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/heavy-modded-mango-wood-he-4-465.875610/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back