Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 10, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #3,962 of 12,315
the ATH-AD2000X with a tube amp (non-OTL) or hybrid amp is still my favorite for all things metal.

I can't believe that I have still never tried the ATH-AD2000X 
confused.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,965 of 12,315
So being the somewhat undecisive person that I am I went back into the TH-X00 drop. Might get a 400i down the line if I want something open and more neutral.

I have a question, though not directly related to headphones.

I have started using Tidal for my music listening, and I'm running it in Exclusive mode and forcing max volume unless I'm doing something else that requires sound at the same time. Exclusive mode is supposed to bypass all of Windows' crap that does things to the sound.

What I'm wondering is if I having it at under 100% volume will make any difference whatsoever in the quality of the playback? I'm currently just barely out of imbalance on the Polaris before volume gets too loud on my MT220's, which is at around 8:30-40 on my unit.

I'd rather have it at 50% in Tidal and 9:30 on the amp for example, if it isn't detrimental to the sound quality.

Anybody know?

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #3,966 of 12,315
So being the somewhat undecisive person that I am I went back into the TH-X00 drop. Might get a 400i down the line if I want something open and more neutral.

I have a question, though not directly related to headphones.

I have started using Tidal for my music listening, and I'm running it in Exclusive mode and forcing max volume unless I'm doing something else that requires sound at the same time. Exclusive mode is supposed to bypass all of Windows' crap that does things to the sound.

What I'm wondering is if I having it at under 100% volume will make any difference whatsoever in the quality of the playback? I'm currently just barely out of imbalance on the Polaris before volume gets too loud on my MT220's, which is at around 8:30-40 on my unit.

I'd rather have it at 50% in Tidal and 9:30 on the amp for example, if it isn't detrimental to the sound quality.

Anybody know?

If you can't hear a difference, then just turn it down. I usually add a 5-7 db buffer on Amarra for Tidal.

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #3,967 of 12,315
If you can't hear a difference, then just turn it down. I usually add a 5-7 db buffer on Amarra for Tidal.

Any difference I'm hearing I think is just placebo, I consider my hearing to be very detailed even though there is some minor damage. I'll just go with it, it's better than my old MP3's by a lot like this either way. DT770 Pro 80's might not be the best thing to test with, I'll try with the MT220's after school to see if I notice anything with those. (Doubt it.)

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3,968 of 12,315

FWIW, it seems to me the the original ratings for headphones on post 1 here do indicate a desire to more bass-focused headphones for metal. I would suggest that is really a subjective preference., and metal very much benefits from a detailed, extended headphone in the mid to upper ranges.

I think, that perfect tonal balance depends on subgenre - see small table in the end of head post (and obviously it vastly depends on personal preferences ))

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #3,969 of 12,315
I think, that perfect tonal balance depends on subgenre - see small table in the end of head post (and obviously it vastly depends on personal preferences ))

Fair enough. I would not discriminate that way personally, but I can certainly appreciate why you do. Great comparisons, don't get me wrong. Very helpful.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #3,970 of 12,315
Yeah, this is a jerk move, but we're all friends here, right?

Anyway, the Hifiman HE560 isn't for me right now, and I need to move to closed headphones and iems.

My pair is in like-new condition, and I can add another pair of Focus-A pads for $30.

I'm looking for $650 plus shipping and PayPal fees. I would also trade for a Chord Mojo or an Alpha Prime. I'll provide the receipt as well, (from an authorized Hifiman dealer), in the unlikely event you need to file a warranty claim.

Classified link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/797942/hifiman-he-560-in-like-new-condition-with-2-5mm-connectors

Most of you say the HE-560s are great for metal, and I would agree.

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #3,971 of 12,315

Anyway, the Hifiman HE560 isn't for me right now, and I need to move to closed headphones and iems.

My pair is in like-new condition, and I can add another pair of Focus-A pads for $30.

I'm looking for $650 plus shipping and PayPal fees. I would also trade for a Chord Mojo or an Alpha Prime. I'll provide the receipt as well, (from an authorized Hifiman dealer), in the unlikely event you need to file a warranty claim.

Classified link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/797942/hifiman-he-560-in-like-new-condition-with-2-5mm-connectors

Dang, well you're asking for awesome, awesome stuff in trade, so I hope someone bites on them for you.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #3,972 of 12,315

Sounds good to me buddy. Always wanted to try an hd800 and I have read the He560 is very similar.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #3,973 of 12,315
Dang, well you're asking for awesome, awesome stuff in trade, so I hope someone bites on them for you.

Sounds good to me buddy. Always wanted to try an hd800 and I have read the He560 is very similar.

It's funny, if anything, I thought maybe Socks would be interested in my HE-560s.

Yeah, @bavinck, I responded to your pm with some homework. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back