Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #3,991 of 12,322
Hi all,
Thanks for this amazing thread! So glad I found it.
I am looking for entry/middle range cans for the following specs:

Genres
- Primarily stoner/doom/psychedelic but also acoustic and classic rock
Good for travel
- Structurally sound & strong, noise cancelling, limited noise leakage
Powered by
- Generally iPhone or iPod with Rock box
Taste 

- I love to melodic sections of stoner/psych/blues songs to really surround me and drench me in their depth. e.g. Kyuss - 50 Million Year Trip (second half of the song)

- I love my heavy doom and riffing to really punch out thick dirty chesty full power. even at the risk of losing some of the quality, i like it to punch me in the face with its power.

I hope that's understandable!

A couple of notes, I see vast differences in the reviews for Doom and Sludge/Stoner. Whilst there is a difference, they often overlap as many bands are generally a combination of a few of these genres. Just wondering how there are such different reports for these two similar of nature genres. I do my own album reviews (been a bit slack lately due to being made redundant at work) over at 'Road to Infinity' (can be found on Facebook) so I do have some idea of what i'm talking about :)

From looking at the list on the OP, it seems these below naturally look like the best fit for my genre choices. I know this thread was originally started long ago so I guess the obvious question is whether these cans are still relevant in 2016 in terms of their ratings and general fit for inclusion on such a list.

Shure SRH840

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (250 om)

Audio-technica ATH-ES10

Denon AH-D600 (bit more pricey)

Denon AH-D2000

Sennheiser HD 650

With your help, I would love someone to refine what I have outlined as my initial list based on my specs above, my taste and what is around in the market today.
I will be using them for flying and travelling for 85% of my use.

Cheers and thankyou!
Ben.

I mean those headphones are still pretty good (I own or have owned a few of them) but lots of the newer offerings are generally better. I'd take a good long look at the Oppo PM-3. I use that for my travel headphone, and it's killer. Great isolation, built like a tank, and stylish to boot! Watch for the Oppo refurbished deals - they are basically new with warranty and they are down around $320 - which is around the price of a couple others you have mentioned here. It has really nice clarity and kick without getting offensive up top or bloated down low. Great headphone for home, work or travel. And easy to drive. Works great out of my iPhone, Fiio X3ii on low gain and my Chord Mojo.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,992 of 12,322
Hi all,

Genres
Good for travel
Powered by
- Generally iPhone or iPod with Rock box
Taste 

- I love to melodic sections of stoner/psych/blues songs to really surround me and drench me in their depth. e.g. Kyuss - 50 Million Year Trip (second half of the song)

- I love my heavy doom and riffing to really punch out thick dirty chesty full power. even at the risk of losing some of the quality, i like it to punch me in the face with its power.

I hope that's understandable!

A couple of notes, I see vast differences in the reviews for Doom and Sludge/Stoner. Whilst there is a difference, they often overlap as many bands are generally a combination of a few of these genres. Just wondering how there are such different reports for these two similar of nature genres. I do my own album reviews (been a bit slack lately due to being made redundant at work) over at 'Road to Infinity' (can be found on Facebook) so I do have some idea of what i'm talking about :)

From looking at the list on the OP, it seems these below naturally look like the best fit for my genre choices. I know this thread was originally started long ago so I guess the obvious question is whether these cans are still relevant in 2016 in terms of their ratings and general fit for inclusion on such a list.

Shure SRH840

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (250 om)

Audio-technica ATH-ES10

Denon AH-D600 (bit more pricey)

Denon AH-D2000

Sennheiser HD 650

With your help, I would love someone to refine what I have outlined as my initial list based on my specs above, my taste and what is around in the market today.
I will be using them for flying and travelling for 85% of my use.

Cheers and thankyou!
Ben.

the D2k wasn't my favorite for stoner/doom or most rock/metal in general. too scooped in the mids. i prefered the SRH1540 as long as you don't listen at really loud volumes.

edit: cool facebook page. I'll end you a link to our records if you're interested.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #3,993 of 12,322
Yeah id love a link!
I'm pretty busy at the moment planning my move to Berlin but planes should give me time to listen to new music again.

hmmm sounds like the list is a little outdated then.
I guess i'm looking to spend about 300 Australian max which ATM is about 220 USD.

but willing to go down on that or up slightly if the value is there.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #3,994 of 12,322
Yeah id love a link!
I'm pretty busy at the moment planning my move to Berlin but planes should give me time to listen to new music again.

I guess i'm looking to spend about 300 Australian max which ATM is about 220 USD.

sent you link through your FB page.

i don't have a lot of experience with closed headphones. D2000, D5000, SRH1540 and K550. for doom you can't go wrong with the 1540 but the K550 was great too. a little more neutral than the 1540 with bass that extended deeper, but it can be a little bright in the low treble/high mids. 1540 was more fun with a thick low mid range and lots of bass. very comfy,comes with a travel case, extra set of pads and an extra cable...now i want to buy one again :)

no experience with noise canceling headphones so i can't really help you there.

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #3,995 of 12,322
sent you link through your FB page.

i don't have a lot of experience with closed headphones. D2000, D5000, SRH1540 and K550. for doom you can't go wrong with the 1540 but the K550 was great too. a little more neutral than the 1540 with bass that extended deeper, but it can be a little bright in the low treble/high mids. 1540 was more fun with a thick low mid range and lots of bass. very comfy,comes with a travel case, extra set of pads and an extra cable...now i want to buy one again
smily_headphones1.gif

no experience with noise canceling headphones so i can't really help you there.

SRH1540, man for $500 I'll keep my Alpha Dogs. I like them well enough for metal. However, I only have a budget Amp/DAC with the original Magni/Modi. If I upgrade, it'll be the DAC and Amp.

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #3,996 of 12,322
  SRH1540, man for $500 I'll keep my Alpha Dogs. I like them well enough for metal. However, I only have a budget Amp/DAC with the original Magni/Modi. If I upgrade, it'll be the DAC and Amp.

While I haven't heard the SRH1540,most people agree it's not worth $500. I have heard the Oppo PM-3, which is $400, and that is very good for metal. Point is, the the SRH1540 is not a great value. 

But yeah, the Alpha Dogs are by all accounts excellent. I think you have the right idea about upgrading your amp/dac. Your headphones are more than good enough!

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #3,997 of 12,322
  Yeah id love a link!

Ok, do you want open or closed cans? Do you want neutral or bassy cans? Are you using a portable source or a desktop amp?

Once you answer these questions, we can help point you in the right direction. If you don't mind purchasing second-hand, you can get very nice headphones at that price in the classifieds. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,998 of 12,322
Hey, is anyone in this thread in the Philly/South Jersey/Central Jersey area? I'm also down to come up to NYC see the city a bit. 

I'm looking for some concert buddies, especially for Philly shows coming up. 

PM me if you want to meet up for Philly shows. This will be for metal/prog/indie rock. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #3,999 of 12,322
  Hi all,

Genres
Good for travel