Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 12, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #3,976 of 12,322

If my DT990 had sold by now, very possibly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ninja edit: GLWS!

Yes, I know that feeling. "I want to buy Y, but I have to sell X first. Because I'm a grown up, and I'm supposed to make rational decisions."

Bah, rational decisions are overrated. I have a table full of suff that needs to go and I haven't even listed any of it yet.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,979 of 12,322
^^^^
Much agreed.  A blessing indeed.
No impulse purchases...
wink.gif

Mike

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #3,980 of 12,322
  Quote:

I also love my SR60i (haven’t heard the e version) and in fact prefer them to higher models in the line, if we’re speaking specifically about metal.  The problem with the other models, for me at least, is they get progressively brighter as you go up the line.  I have mild tinnitus going back many years, pre-headphone-hobby days, that’s aggravated by aggressive treble, so my opinion is shaped by this.  I’ve been seeking to up-Grado and find the optimal model for metal, but so far it’s been a waste of time.

1. SR225e – Good overall but at the end of the day too bright for me.
  2. RS1i – Has its charms but also too bright and IMHO has a lighter, less crunchy sound that doesn't synergize with metal.
  3. MS2e – Very nice all-rounder but its mids are pulled back closer to neutral, and doesn’t have as much as energy as traditional Grado's.

SR60i has mids that are thick and raunchy as hell.  It has some graininess that wouldn’t be welcome on many other genres, but for metal it adds a gritty and raw flavor.  For other types of music, I do find the higher models to be superior, thought I haven’t tried the 60 with L-pads. 

I second the recommendation above to start with either SR60e or SR80e if experimenting with Grado.

Also picked up the X2's during Amazon's $200 flash sale.  I was looking for a warmer, bassier compliment to Grado with a more spacious soundstage that worked well for metal as well as other genres, and this headphone is exactly what the doctor ordered.  Longer term, I'm interested in HE-6 and the LCD series.

Quote:

+1 to everything you wrote there. I have the MS2e (modded in wood cups) and they're a little brighter, but most notably it just misses those thick mids you talk about which are great with metal. Something just doesn't sound quite right. 325is I never found too bright before I got my 60e, but putting them on after using the 60e I didn't find them as appealing as when I first got them.

I've also owned most the Grado line RS1i and below, It's just hard to fathom the price of the higher models since the build quality is almost the same, just slightly tweaked drivers. I added bowl pads and a headband to my SR60e too. I was curious about the 225e but if it's only a brighter 60e then I probably won't bother.

I know these are both somewhat older posts but I hope you can possibly give me some advice. I recently bought some SR325is looking for something with a very aggressive treble sound for punk and some kinds of metal (stuff like Destroyer 666, crossover thrash and things of that ilk). I actually find that I prefer my lowly HD595 amped through my Schiit Lyr to the HE-6 for one Destroyer 666 album (the one with the worst production) and a good deal of punk. I wish I had the musical vocabulary to explain why but the best I can do is it sounds "grittier" and "fatter". Obviously does not compare details-wise but the feel is more dead on. So I've been looking into the Grado line as I've heard the HD595 was basically the "Grado" of the Sennheiser line. Basically I want a HD595 but "better". With the same tone/vibe but more detail, even more in-your-face aggressive if possible, but without going off the deep end and turning super bright.

Anyways, I tried the SR325is with the Lyr (was veryyy cautious with the volume control) and it was just way too bright. Playing unamped through my Fiio player it sounds just about right but I want an amp for it to get the most I can on of it. What amp would you recommend? 

I'm also intrigued now by the SR60i... might have to check those out as well.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #3,981 of 12,322
Anyways, I tried the SR325is with the Lyr (was veryyy cautious with the volume control) and it was just way too bright. Playing unamped through my Fiio player it sounds just about right but I want an amp for it to get the most I can on of it. What amp would you recommend? 

I'm also intrigued now by the SR60i... might have to check those out as well.

The 325i model is very notably bright. The newer 325e is toned back a tad to a more comfortable level, by all accounts I have heard. When I listened to the 325e, I thought it was pretty good. I'd suggest trying to swap those models out, if possible.

As for amping, I think the Geek Out V2 does pretty well with Grados, and is pretty reasonably priced at around $250. If you want to go with something higher-end, a used Cavalli Liquid Carbon would be a home run (and is a pretty big upgrade from the Lyr). I just plugged my old SR80i's into the LC and it totally rocks! 

If you're looking for the cheapest possible option, I find the O2 does pretty well managing brighter headphones, but is significantly less resolving than the other two amps I mentioned.

Not sure what you're using for a DAC, but Wolfson chips also tend to do very well with brighter headphones. I believe they use those in some of the Fiio players. Not sure which one you have. A home-made AMB Gamma 2 is usually a good Wolfson-based solution to brightness issues. That used to be my go-to DAC for the HD800, until I made some other equipment upgrades.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #3,983 of 12,322

The 325i model is very notably bright. The newer 325e is toned back a tad to a more comfortable level, by all accounts I have heard. When I listened to the 325e, I thought it was pretty good. I'd suggest trying to swap those models out, if possible.

As for amping, I think the Geek Out V2 does pretty well with Grados, and is pretty reasonably priced at around $250. If you want to go with something higher-end, a used Cavalli Liquid Carbon would be a home run (and is a pretty big upgrade from the Lyr). I just plugged my old SR80i's into the LC and it totally rocks! 

If you're looking for the cheapest possible option, I find the O2 does pretty well managing brighter headphones, but is significantly less resolving than the other two amps I mentioned.

Not sure what you're using for a DAC, but Wolfson chips also tend to do very well with brighter headphones. I believe they use those in some of the Fiio players. Not sure which one you have. A home-made AMB Gamma 2 is usually a good Wolfson-based solution to brightness issues. That used to be my go-to DAC for the HD800, until I made some other equipment upgrades.

Do note that the 325is (silver, chrome or grey aluminum) is different from the 325i (golden colored). The 325i is really really bright, and perhaps most of the criticism about the 325 series being hard is accurately on this model. The 325is is less bright than the 325i, and the 325e is even tamer. However, these 2 can still be harsh and sibilant, depending on the choice of DAC and amps.

The 225e/225i is also a great choice for Metal. Interestingly most people in my country's audiophile community believe that the 225 is even more sibilant than the 325. I do find that the 225i's treble can be, well, messy in comparison to the 325is. 

And yes, the O2 (and ODAC) handles the 325is really well. I was so impressed with the O2+ODAC & 325is combo that I sold everything I had back then to buy the combo. The O2+ODAC has been really great with any Grado that I've had. However, right now I prefer pairing my Grados with a hybrid tube amp (the Little Dot I+).

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #3,985 of 12,322
My SR80's sound great out of my phone.
Also after quite some time I can recommend the HD800 as a good metal phone; with good amplification and source...of course!
biggrin.gif

Agreed on both counts. What are you using upstream with the HD800 these days?

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,986 of 12,322

My main DAC is the Gungnir.

Would the Liquid Carbon be a suitable amp for a wide range of Grados just in case I end up going up/down/laterally through the brand or do they all differ too significantly? 

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3,987 of 12,322

My main DAC is the Gungnir.

Would the Liquid Carbon be a suitable amp for a wide range of Grados just in case I end up going up/down/laterally through the brand or do they all differ too significantly? 

Yes, absolutely. The LC should be rock solid for any level of Grado. It sounds good with everything from my stock HD800 to planars to my little SR80i.

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #3,989 of 12,322
Agreed on both counts. What are you using upstream with the HD800 these days?

Hey bro!
Im using a McIntosh MCD500 cd player>Violectric V281. I havent entered the digital download arena yet.

Oh snap!I knew you had the V281, but not that McIntosh. That's a hell of a source. I think I'd be rocking a steady CD diet if I had one of those too!

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #3,990 of 12,322
Hi all,
Thanks for this amazing thread! So glad I found it.
I am looking for entry/middle range cans for the following specs:

Genres
- Primarily stoner/doom/psychedelic but also acoustic and classic rock
Good for travel
- Structurally sound & strong, noise cancelling, limited noise leakage