Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 10, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #3,947 of 12,322
So you're saying you've never heard it out of a good amp...

From my understanding the Ragnarok is one of the best amps for the HD800, when fixed via modding.

Well.... If the hd800 doesn't work for you guys I have heard the hd650 is really an excellent metal headphone :p

It is without question one of the absolute best.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #3,949 of 12,322
I find it funny how there's always something to blame in the playback chain... except the transducer.. which is responsible for like 90% of the perceived SQ.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #3,951 of 12,322
The Ragnarok isn't a good amp? I see all of you are high as a kite.

Meh. It's okay. It's not too special for the price they are asking. The treble is a little hot and uncontrolled for a supposed flagship and the mids are sort of strained and sterile. An amp at that price shouldn't be fatiguing like that. Plus it's not quite there in regards to transparency, IMO. It has a little bit of a "sound" to it, but not as much as the other Schiit amps. It's exciting sounding, I'll give it that... But I wouldn't be too wild about the idea of plugging a brighter sounding headphone into it.

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #3,954 of 12,322
Meh. It's okay. It's not too special for the price they are asking. The treble is a little hot and uncontrolled for a supposed flagship and the mids are sort of strained and sterile. An amp headphone at that price shouldn't be fatiguing like that. 

FTFY. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #3,955 of 12,322

I have heard the unmodded HD800 and was immeditely thrown off by the amount of sSSssSssibilance in vocals. Modded they sounded OK, but I'm not buying a 1.5K headphone to start "ghetto'ing" it with felt and toilet paper right away.

I think it is just a matter of biology in this case. You have stated many times you love the x2 for metal, to me it sounds veiled, muddy and dark. I really enjoy the dt880 for metal, many people (maybe you too) have said they find it way too bright. You may have a sensitivity to treble in your biology - which would explain why you like the X2 so much as it has less treble emphasis.

However, the problem is when you state objectively that people should not consider an hd800 for metal, when the issue is really with you, your preferences and your individual biology.

Stop elevating the level of discourse here! I can barely keep up! :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #3,956 of 12,322
Hi guys!

I bought the HD800 a couple of months ago. Even if I'm really satisfied in general, I realised that they weren't the best headphones you could have in order to listen to metal music.
I'm planning to sell them but I don't know exactly what to buy to replace them. I listen to a lot of industrial metal, as well as some heavy and trash. According to the levap's graph, I should go for the Audeze LCD-2, but I can't find any without fazor in my area. Is it really a big deal ? What other suggestions would you make ?

Thanks for your opinions !

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3,957 of 12,322
  Hi guys!

I bought the HD800 a couple of months ago. Even if I'm really satisfied in general, I realised that they weren't the best headphones you could have in order to listen to metal music.
I'm planning to sell them but I don't know exactly what to buy to replace them. I listen to a lot of industrial metal, as well as some heavy and trash. According to the levap's graph, I should go for the Audeze LCD-2, but I can't find any without fazor in my area. Is it really a big deal ? What other suggestions would you make ?

Buy an LCD-2 with fazors and don't look back. If the wait and quality concerns are too much for you (which I can understand) then other people here will be able to help you. I adore my LCD-2 Fazor for any kind of metal.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #3,958 of 12,322
Hi guys!

the ATH-AD2000X with a tube amp (non-OTL) or hybrid amp is still my favorite for all things metal.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #3,959 of 12,322
the ATH-AD2000X with a tube amp (non-OTL) or hybrid amp is still my favorite for all things metal.

Buy an LCD-2 with fazors and don't look back. If the wait and quality concerns are too much for you (which I can understand) then other people here will be able to help you. I adore my LCD-2 Fazor for any kind of metal.

Thanks for your impressions guys. I think I'll go for the Audeze.
While I'm at it ... Somebody mentionned to me the BeyerDynamic DT1770 (not dt770). Any thoughts ?

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #3,960 of 12,322

Thanks for your impressions guys. I think I'll go for the Audeze.
While I'm at it ... Somebody mentionned to me the BeyerDynamic DT1770 (not dt770). Any thoughts ?

The 1770 is pretty good. Neutralish with a slight U-shape. Unless you specifically need isolation and/or less weight, I think the Audeze will be the better bet for industrial metal because of dat bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back