Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 1, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #12,241 of 12,284
Actually I use the Edition XS and as an allrounder it works really well but even this cheaper headphone will show bad productions. I think objectively it destroys similar prized headphones. But maybe a different sound signature works better with rock / metal? So upgrading to the HEK Stealth or trying a fun headphone like the Emu Teak? Or is the Emu Teak too oldschool and limited for 2024? To buy the teak instead of the Stealth is a stupid idea because only there are only 2 reasons for buying it: the bass and because it is more foregiving? Difficult. Fun or detail monster...
I’ve found that most of the HiFiman cans to be pretty revealing, especially with metal music. E-Mu Teak is a great option, earpads were just too small for me personally

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #12,242 of 12,284
Actually I use the Edition XS and as an allrounder it works really well but even this cheaper headphone will show bad productions. I think objectively it destroys similar prized headphones. But maybe a different sound signature works better with rock / metal? So upgrading to the HEK Stealth or trying a fun headphone like the Emu Teak? Or is the Emu Teak too oldschool and limited for 2024? To buy the teak instead of the Stealth is a stupid idea because only there are only 2 reasons for buying it: the bass and because it is more foregiving? Difficult. Fun or detail monster...
HEK Stealth is a pretty decent headphone from what I remember. I paired it with a warmer amp to tame the treble a bit and give bass a bit more oomph. Honestly just depends on your sound preference

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #12,243 of 12,284
IMG_9971.jpeg

660S2 is a solid option for extreme metal. Absolutely loving it!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #12,244 of 12,284
IMG_9971.jpeg
Definitely a solid choice and one of my favorite headphones for metal. Coming from Hifiman, I was a bit worried the dip in mids/treble might take away too much bite, but it somehow works for most tracks I've listened to. Just needs a bass bump and that was all was needed.

Looks like a dark voice in the background? How you like it?

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #12,245 of 12,284
Definitely a solid choice and one of my favorite headphones for metal. Coming from Hifiman, I was a bit worried the dip in mids/treble might take away too much bite, but it somehow works for most tracks I've listened to. Just needs a bass bump and that was all was needed.

Looks like a dark voice in the background? How you like it?
I find Hifiman lacking the note weight that I prefer for metal. It just doesn’t work for me but the 660S2 was a pleasant surprise, it has everything I loved about 6XX + better technicalities. The bass here is plenty for my taste. No complaints so far.

I haven’t gotten enough time to make a judgement with the Darkvoice pairing. For the little time I’ve tried they sounded great, compared to the Cayin N6ii with R01 module, there was quite an added weight in the bass region, sub bass was deep and mid bass had more weight. I need to sit with it this weekend to give you a proper opinion with the S2 pairing. 6xx and the Darkvoice was pure magic. Listening to Primitive man used to melt my brain! Thick grainy riffs for days!

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #12,246 of 12,284
I don't use my headphones genre specific, never have done. They are in rotation and used for all music. After a few minutes of acclimatisation I just appreciate them for what they are/do.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #12,247 of 12,284

Yeah, I'm totally with you on the HD660S2. They're awesome all-around, and the way they rock with Metal, especially Death and Extreme Metal, is is just impressive.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #12,248 of 12,284
I find Hifiman lacking the note weight that I prefer for metal. It just doesn’t work for me but the 660S2 was a pleasant surprise, it has everything I loved about 6XX + better technicalities. The bass here is plenty for my taste. No complaints so far.

I haven’t gotten enough time to make a judgement with the Darkvoice pairing. For the little time I’ve tried they sounded great, compared to the Cayin N6ii with R01 module, there was quite an added weight in the bass region, sub bass was deep and mid bass had more weight. I need to sit with it this weekend to give you a proper opinion with the S2 pairing. 6xx and the Darkvoice was pure magic. Listening to Primitive man used to melt my brain! Thick grainy riffs for days!
I get what you mean regarding the note weight. To me it really depends on the track. On something well recorded it can sound amazing with good dynamics (eg. Opeth). Stringed instruments sound especially vibrant. Can really tickle the ears. However with poorly recorded material it can be sibilant. In this regard, the 660s2 perfectly compliments my hifimans.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #12,249 of 12,284
I get what you mean regarding the note weight. To me it really depends on the track. On something well recorded it can sound amazing with good dynamics (eg. Opeth). Stringed instruments sound especially vibrant. Can really tickle the ears. However with poorly recorded material it can be sibilant. In this regard, the 660s2 perfectly compliments my hifimans.
True, Opeth is a good example. Damnations will sound really good on Hifiman but Deliverance will sound better on 660S2. Hifiman sound compliments string/acoustic very well but with electric guitars especially with older thrash/black recordings I find myself reaching the eq instantly to tone down the treble.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #12,250 of 12,284
True, Opeth is a good example. Damnations will sound really good on Hifiman but Deliverance will sound better on 660S2. Hifiman sound compliments string/acoustic very well but with electric guitars especially with older thrash/black recordings I find myself reaching the eq instantly to tone down the treble.
We all have different tolerances to the high frequencies. I think I might be on the upper end, but not quite deaf yet :sweat_smile:

There's quite a few tracks that really benefit from the articulation and snappiness of the Hifiman egg shaped cans. Some of the latest Borknagar is great example of this:

With the track above, on the 660s2, the mids are slightly congested sounding. However, nothing so offensive that would make me want to immediately swap it. Just a preference thing.

However, with tracks from the latest Dark Oath album, that's another story. There's a hint of glare in the treble region that can be nagging on the Hifimans if listening for long stretches:

If anything this highlights how good of a daily driver the 660s2 is. Despite it not being great at anything in particular, it's quite remarkably versatile.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #12,253 of 12,284
Listened to some open and closed ones in the 1000-3000 € price range. Best imo for metal: Fostex Th900 MK2 (pearl white, red wasn't there) and the Arya Organic (the normal Arya was o.k. too but organic is on another level for me- better dynamics, more punch, better tuning for metal, very good sounstage, super clear too). Th900 (white) is closed but everybody hears what you are listening to, so both are only for listening at home. Otherwise MK2 is a direct upgrade from the Th610 that I own (also good for metal and got it for 300 used, MK2 is minimum 3 times the price)

Not headphone but for metal: bought the Hidisz MP145 iem one week ago. That's a very good affordable option (around 170 €) when you have ears that are big enough. Sounds too romantic stock but you just need 1db of EQ here and there and you get a very good metal iem (with Azla Xelastec or Spiral Dots).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back