Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 23, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #12,227 of 12,284
I had no idea the MDR MV1 was a thing. Man, looks sweet. Might have to pull the trigger on these someday. Always been a fan of Sony. Sorry that this isn't an answer. Just thanking you for bringing it to my attention.
There's a MV1 thread as well. You can look into it to get more details. Some people mentioned there that it is great for metal.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #12,228 of 12,284
I will say
There's a MV1 thread as well. You can look into it to get more details. Some people mentioned there that it is great for metal.
In my experience. Sony usually is fantastic for metal. I've owned the xba-1, xba- h3, mdr 7550, mdr - 7506, wf1000xm4. All have been absolutely fantastic for metal. The 7506 has bloated sub bass, But I have no other complaints about any of sony's headphones I have tried. Grado, shure, and Sony have always been mainstays in my collection.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #12,231 of 12,284
Hello, I am looking for headphones for the hardest type of death metal (Vitriol, Intenal Suffering, Omegavortex, etc.)
CA-1A is the best I have head for electric guitars, rammstein sounded excellent, but might lack some bass for a bass head.

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #12,233 of 12,284
Ok, I'm writing, first of all, sorry for my English, I use a translator. I have Audeze LCD 3 and 4z and Verite open, immortal Sennheiser Hd 650, Akg 240 and 270 Mk II. My track matrix saber pro, Bryston bh 1, Litlle dot VI. I mean headphones that play well the harshest types of metal, poorly recorded albums, and highly compressed productions. Dynamic headphones, rather closed, but not necessarily, I won't mention the budget. It immediately writes that I have just sold Fostex th 900

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #12,234 of 12,284
Ok, I'm writing, first of all, sorry for my English, I use a translator. I have Audeze LCD 3 and 4z and Verite open, immortal Sennheiser Hd 650, Akg 240 and 270 Mk II. My track matrix saber pro, Bryston bh 1, Litlle dot VI. I mean headphones that play well the harshest types of metal, poorly recorded albums, and highly compressed productions. Dynamic headphones, rather closed, but not necessarily, I won't mention the budget. It immediately writes that I have just sold Fostex th 900
In my opinion, you're already close to the top for headphones. Your Audezes are killer with electric guitars (though I have the original LCD4, never heard the 4z). Verite Open is also a good match, with a warmer presentation and one of the fastest drivers out there. You might want to consider a speedy tube amp for more dynamics and bass - I have a ZMF Pendant that I love for metal, but you'll have to buy used. I'm sure others will have opinions on tube amps.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #12,235 of 12,284
You have super high end headphones already. But give grado a try. The RS1X are stupidly good at death metal.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #12,236 of 12,284
The RS1X makes guitar crunchy as hell.

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #12,237 of 12,284
Full disclosure - I haven't heard the Verite Open so I don't know how it compares, but the Atrium Open with stock pads hits that balance between forgiving sound signature (for harsh production) but with a really nice timbre and bass level, and just the right amount of detail retrieval. I listened to Vitriol not long ago on them :darthsmile:

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #12,238 of 12,284
I've been looking at some open back headphones under 400$ for metal music. Although I listen to other genres as well. So, actually looking for an all-rounder open back headphone. Metal genre I listen to: thrash, tech-death, prog metal, metalcore, old school heavy metal, death, black etc. I shortlisted some open backs like:
1. Audeze MM100
2. Hifiman Sundara
3. Hifiman Edition XS
4. Sony MDR MV1
5. DT 900 Pro X
6. Sennheiser HD660S2
7. Fiio FT5

Now, I don't have a dedicated DAC-AMP desktop setup. I only have a xDuoo Link 2 Bal which can provide 270mW @32 ohms. And I drive all my IEMs and K361 & Sennheiser HD 599 with it. I don't plan to get a dedicated setup just yet but in coming months I'll for sure. Which one would you recommend for metal out of these? I'm drawn most to the 660s2 (also Audeze MM100) because of Sennheiser quality and good warranty and services in my country and also the way you've described these headphones just makes it more interesting for me. Would my Link 2 Bal be enough to drive and enjoy music on these until I get a dedicated DAC-AMP setup? My budget is 400$ max.

My bad for not getting back to your question sooner. Honestly, I've only tried one of the headphones from your list. I'm more of a ZMF/Grado person and not really into planar headphones. Hopefully, someone else can jump in and give you the lowdown. Good luck!

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #12,239 of 12,284
I finally got the Arya Organic and they are cool for metal, however they are very revealing and if the recording is flawed it will show. But with crisp productions it is great and the bass is amazing. Not overly done, just with with enough kick to deliver a good slam.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #12,240 of 12,284
Actually I use the Edition XS and as an allrounder it works really well but even this cheaper headphone will show bad productions. I think objectively it destroys similar prized headphones. But maybe a different sound signature works better with rock / metal? So upgrading to the HEK Stealth or trying a fun headphone like the Emu Teak? Or is the Emu Teak too oldschool and limited for 2024? To buy the teak instead of the Stealth is a stupid idea because only there are only 2 reasons for buying it: the bass and because it is more foregiving? Difficult. Fun or detail monster...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back