Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #10,801 of 12,299
Has anyone here listened to either the Ether C or the Ether C Flow by Dan Clarke Audo (formerly Mr. Speakers)? It sounds like a very comfortable and well isolating headphone. My only concern is that perhaps it might be too neutral or analytical sounding. Although with a tube hybrid amp that might be less of a problem.

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #10,802 of 12,299
Wondering what you would recommend for a closed back headphone in the $500-$1000 range. It would be paired with my Schiit Bifrost and Lyr 3. Closed back is a must so I can listen while studying late at night.

My only experience with high-end headphones are the ZMF Atticus which I have and am real happy with. I need to send them back to get a driver repaired and am thinking maybe I want to try something different. I have the Meze 99 Classics too which I only use for portable listening. They are nice but don't really compare to the Atticus.

Is there something in particular you don't like with the Atticus? Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Lyr 3 with the Atticus. On my side, going from the Lyr 3 -> Liquid Platinum -> Quicksilver was a noticeable and substantial improvement with all my ZMF headphones. Edit: I'm also using the Ori suede pads with the Atticus.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #10,803 of 12,299
Is there something in particular you don't like with the Atticus? Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Lyr 3 with the Atticus. On my side, going from the Lyr 3 -> Liquid Platinum -> Quicksilver was a noticeable and substantial improvement with all my ZMF headphones. Edit: I'm also using the Ori suede pads with the Atticus.

I wouldn't say there is anything that I particularly dislike about the Atticus but I also don't have much to compare it to. I've messed around with a lot of different tubes on the Lyr 3 and found some that I really enjoy. I've had the drivers go out twice now, first time was a bad tube (learned the hard way never to fire up the amp with the headphones plugged in). This time the right driver started to become intermittent and then just stopped working completely. Mostly I just want to find something to listen to while I send the Atticus back to be repaired. I am listening to the Meze 99 in the mean time but they sound too dark and bloated in the low end and congested compared to the Atticus.

I guess really comes down to the fact that I spend so much time out of the day listening to music (almost all Metal) that I am having withdrawal symptoms! And it's true that you can't go back once you discover amazing sound, so the Meze 99 is just not cutting it.

Also, I find the Meze 99 has poor isolation which bothers me when I am studying on the days where my 3yr old is home from daycare. I do need something that isolates well and is comfortable for long periods of time. I was very happy with the Atticus in regards to this.

I figured I might as well try something that is different or compliments the Atticus, hence the search.

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #10,804 of 12,299
I wouldn't say there is anything that I particularly dislike about the Atticus but I also don't have much to compare it to. I've messed around with a lot of different tubes on the Lyr 3 and found some that I really enjoy. I've had the drivers go out twice now, first time was a bad tube (learned the hard way never to fire up the amp with the headphones plugged in). This time the right driver started to become intermittent and then just stopped working completely. Mostly I just want to find something to listen to while I send the Atticus back to be repaired. I am listening to the Meze 99 in the mean time but they sound too dark and bloated in the low end and congested compared to the Atticus.

I guess really comes down to the fact that I spend so much time out of the day listening to music (almost all Metal) that I am having withdrawal symptoms! And it's true that you can't go back once you discover amazing sound, so the Meze 99 is just not cutting it.

Also, I find the Meze 99 has poor isolation which bothers me when I am studying on the days where my 3yr old is home from daycare. I do need something that isolates well and is comfortable for long periods of time. I was very happy with the Atticus in regards to this.

I figured I might as well try something that is different or compliments the Atticus, hence the search.

It's hard to beat the Atticus with Metal :wink:

I also owned the Meze 99 back in the days, but like you I thought they were too dark and bloated.

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #10,805 of 12,299
I would like to submit for your consideration the Audio-Technica A900X

I originally was using this as my closed-back at the office, but I had to bring it back home because it was just too damn fun to be relegated to just office use, lol.

It's got that Beyer 770-style deep bass extension that's fast and punchy, mids are full and textured, and the highs have this excellent sparkle to them with just a hint of sizzle that really adds a great texture up top. The whole thing is just this big, energetic rock monster. I'm positively loving it.

Oct 28, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #10,809 of 12,299
Hey, friends: It's been a while. Hope everyone has been well.

Any HE6SE/Jotunheim 2 users here? After having the Hemps for about 10 months, I might be looking to try something new. I'm guessing the Jot 2 will have the grunt, but the highs on the HE6SE might be a bit much.

I posted something similar in the H6SE thread but my question wasn't specific/ clear enough.
Jot2 hasn't arrived yet, But in the meantime the SP400 + HE6seV2 the treble is to far forward in the soundstage, so cymbals are in your face, detailed while the high sounds but more specifically the cymbals go to peak, never "over" but at peak is the best way to put it. Also not sibilant but close to the peak of almost becoming.
For metal i'd say they are OK, but not GOOD or Ideal, unless you want a lot of detail & (best sounding) cymbals in your face.

Supposedly the Jot2 has tamer treble (as well as the BF2 [also waiting on], vs my D90) So should be a good combo, but will update if i remember when it arrives.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #10,811 of 12,299
Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I ended up purchasing a Kennerton Magni from the classifieds.
You listening to tech death by any chance? I am looking forward to buy a Magni, but it's actually hard to find reviews on this cans for harder or faster genres (especially death metal).

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #10,812 of 12,299
You listening to tech death by any chance? I am looking forward to buy a Magni, but it's actually hard to find reviews on this cans for harder or faster genres (especially death metal).

I do indeed! I haven't spent too much time exploring the genre but my favorites that might fall into the category are are Nile, Cynic, The Faceless, Into Eternity, Gojira, Obscura, and of course Death. I'll be testing the Magni with a Gilmore Lite mk2 and a Lyr 3 with a bunch of different tubes. I'll try to make a post about it in the next week or so.

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #10,813 of 12,299
I do indeed! I haven't spent too much time exploring the genre but my favorites that might fall into the category are are Nile, Cynic, The Faceless, Into Eternity, Gojira, Obscura, and of course Death. I'll be testing the Magni with a Gilmore Lite mk2 and a Lyr 3 with a bunch of different tubes. I'll try to make a post about it in the next week or so.
Thrilled to read your impressions. Could you throw some Archspire in the mix :)? Maybe you like it

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #10,814 of 12,299
Archspire's last two albums are the best tech death I've heard in ages. Milestones of how modern tech death should be approached.

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #10,815 of 12,299
Archspire's last two albums are the best tech death I've heard in ages. Milestones of how modern tech death should be approached.
A man of culture
Edit:
BTW really like your Gjallarhorn review, it's definitely on my list, on my way to find my favorite tech death cans

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back