Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 24, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #10,786 of 12,302
Do folks have any thoughts on planar magnetic drivers vs dynamic drivers for listening to metal? I don't know much about planar headphones and have never listened to one before. Is it possible to make any generalizations or is it entirely dependent on the individual application of the driver?
Generally speaking planars tend to be a little quicker with deeper bass extension, but this is not always the case. There are great examples of both type of driver so it really comes down to individual application. My personal favorite (to date) for metal is the DT-1990 which uses a dynamic driver. I also really like my Modhouse Argon for metal which is a planar. It's probably just going to come down to getting your ears on some different phones and finding what works best for you.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #10,787 of 12,302
Do folks have any thoughts on planar magnetic drivers vs dynamic drivers for listening to metal? I don't know much about planar headphones and have never listened to one before. Is it possible to make any generalizations or is it entirely dependent on the individual application of the driver?
In my opinion, it depends on the individual headphone. There are good and bad dynamic headphones for metal and the same goes for planars.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #10,788 of 12,302
With planar magnetic drivers you are going to get less distortion and a more detailed and tight sound with better extension, which for metal is awesome, yet many people argue that well implemented dynamic drivers often sound more "organic" and have better punch in the bass section. In the end it's a matter of individual taste. I personally prefer dynamic drivers because I enjoy "musically" focused headphones, I don't mind sacrificing a little bit of image clarity to gain musicality. But all in all and given the state of audio technology everything can sound just as good. It's a matter of testing I guess.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #10,789 of 12,302
I had the HP-2 and sold them to someone who heard both the Gjallarhorn JM and HP-2 and he confirmed: not exactly the same.
I preferred the Magni myself compared to the HP-2. None of both are super-duper at passive noise isolation or anti-leak.

I am seriously considering purchasing the HP-2. Is there anything in particular that you did not like about them?

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #10,790 of 12,302
I am seriously considering purchasing the HP-2. Is there anything in particular that you did not like about them?
The Gjallarhorn is known to sound best when a big clamp force is applied. You need to bend the headband to shape it a bit. Which is fine, for the first half an hour but I ended up with a headache each day due to this. Without the bending they can sound a little flat and lack dynamics

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #10,792 of 12,302
I feel like there aren't too many options with Planar in terms of price unless you've got insane money to spend. I may be wrong though. I've tried the LCD-X, Hifiman Arya, and Empy mainly when it comes to Planar. I found the LCD-X really nice for metal, though they were impossible to wear for me. I found the Arya to be horrible for metal. Zero dynamics, no oomph, it felt so boring despite decent tonality for metal and a nice stage, etc. Resolution was good too. A lot was good about the Arya to be honest but holy moly they were boring. The Empy I absolutely loved, but felt like they weren't the best for metal perhaps. They felt like the kind of cans you put on and forget that you're listening to headphones and just focus on the music itself.

I think it's a lot about individual application. I still think there are some things about them like instrument seperation which are fairly universal. I'm struggling to think of a planar that has most of the things I want. There's always some tradeoff that usually isn't a problem with dynamics (such as weight and timbre). I think Resolve said the same thing a while back; there's lots to like about planars, yet he's yet to find one that's suitable as a whole package. I feel the same. If you can bear the weight of Audeze I'd give them a try.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #10,793 of 12,302
Hey, friends: It's been a while. Hope everyone has been well.

Any HE6SE/Jotunheim 2 users here? After having the Hemps for about 10 months, I might be looking to try something new. I'm guessing the Jot 2 will have the grunt, but the highs on the HE6SE might be a bit much.

I posted something similar in the H6SE thread but my question wasn't specific/ clear enough.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #10,794 of 12,302

No, I wouldn't make broad generalizations. If you don't have a hifi shop nearby to test a bunch out, I would recommend, first: 1) Do your homework and identify a few headphones that you think might be a good fit. 2) Either buy them used here or elsewhere or buy new from Amazon or somewhere similar with a good return policy.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #10,795 of 12,302
I feel like there aren't too many options with Planar in terms of price unless you've got insane money to spend. I may be wrong though. I've tried the LCD-X, Hifiman Arya, and Empy mainly when it comes to Planar. I found the LCD-X really nice for metal, though they were impossible to wear for me. I found the Arya to be horrible for metal. Zero dynamics, no oomph, it felt so boring despite decent tonality for metal and a nice stage, etc. Resolution was good too. A lot was good about the Arya to be honest but holy moly they were boring. The Empy I absolutely loved, but felt like they weren't the best for metal perhaps. They felt like the kind of cans you put on and forget that you're listening to headphones and just focus on the music itself.

I think it's a lot about individual application. I still think there are some things about them like instrument seperation which are fairly universal. I'm struggling to think of a planar that has most of the things I want. There's always some tradeoff that usually isn't a problem with dynamics (such as weight and timbre). I think Resolve said the same thing a while back; there's lots to like about planars, yet he's yet to find one that's suitable as a whole package. I feel the same. If you can bear the weight of Audeze I'd give them a try.

@Semper HiFi

Hifiman's low-cost offerings are good for metal if one isn't trying to spend a ton. I used an HE4XX for about two years. I preferred it to the Mrspeakers Aeon Flow Closed, even though the Mrspeakers headphone was certainly a far better headphone in most respects.

Others have had good things about the Sundara, which should be a bit of an upgrade over the HE4XX, though I haven't tried it.

As you go up the Hifiman chain, however, people have mixed reports about whether they have the dynamic heft needed to be good with metal.

I've always wanted to try an HE6SE but I personally wouldn't spend any more than its cost ($600) on a Hifiman.

Remember, too, that the QC concerns are real. I don't know if they've gotten their act together in the last couple years, but I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #10,796 of 12,302
Hey, friends: It's been a while. Hope everyone has been well.

Any HE6SE/Jotunheim 2 users here? After having the Hemps for about 10 months, I might be looking to try something new. I'm guessing the Jot 2 will have the grunt, but the highs on the HE6SE might be a bit much.

I posted something similar in the H6SE thread but my question wasn't specific/ clear enough.

I sold my HE6SE V2/Jot2 because I prefer all my other headphones including the Hemp with my Quicksilver tube amp.

I also tried the HE6SE V2 with my integrated amp (Exposure 3010s2) and it didn't change my impression. The sound was too artificial and cold for my tastes. The HE6SE V2 is not an headphones I would recommend, unless you are planning to use an EQ.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #10,797 of 12,302
I sold my HE6SE V2/Jot2 because I prefer all my other headphones including the Hemp with my Quicksilver tube amp.

I also tried the HE6SE V2 with my integrated amp (Exposure 3010s2) and it didn't change my impression. The sound was too artificial and cold for my tastes. The HE6SE V2 is not an headphones I would recommend, unless you are planning to use an EQ.
How is the Hemp treble? I have read it lacks, and that it is the problem of that model.

I have tried the HE6se for a long time and I liked it a lot, it is cold, but with a lot of punch and with strong wow effect.

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #10,798 of 12,302
How is the Hemp treble? I have read it lacks, and that it is the problem of that model.

I have tried the HE6se for a long time and I liked it a lot, it is cold, but with a lot of punch and with strong wow effect.

The Hemp don't lack any treble at all to my ears. You have to be careful with the feedback you're reading, for example if I'm driving the Hemp with my Fiio BTR5 they will sound dark and almost muted in the treble, but when I'm driving them my Quicksilver amp it's a totally different experience.

The HE6SE are good headphones when they are properly EQed.

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #10,799 of 12,302
The Hemp don't lack any treble at all to my ears. You have to be careful with the feedback you're reading, for example if I'm driving the Hemp with my Fiio BTR5 they will sound dark and almost muted in the treble, but when I'm driving them my Quicksilver amp it's a totally different experience.

The HE6SE are good headphones when they are properly EQed.
I have read it from a friend who has bought several grade models at the same time (SR225x, Hemp and GH2), and he commented that the problem he saw in the Hemp is that the treble was far behind the other 2.

I would use the Hemp with my iBasso DX300 or my iFi hip dac…

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #10,800 of 12,302
I have read it from a friend who has bought several grade models at the same time (SR225x, Hemp and GH2), and he commented that the problem he saw in the Hemp is that the treble was far behind the other 2.

I would use the Hemp with my iBasso DX300 or my iFi hip dac…

The Hemp are not bright like the SR225x for sure, but to my ears they have enough treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back