Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 5, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #10,382 of 12,284
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #10,385 of 12,284
The Dunu Zen look appropriately metal! I was tempted, but ultimately allured to try out a tribrid. Didn't realize you'd be talking IEMs here -- I went to this thread, skimmed all 60+ pages, then posted my requirements: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iem-for-metal-music-and-hard-rock-ultimate-solution.885104/

I hadn't used IEMs (aside from Bluetooth Mpow for work) for a decade, since my Etymotics and Klipsch died quick deaths. Until I'm able to travel again, they will be used when I read before I go to sleep while reading my Kindle, plugged into the NAD D 3020 V2. They made a few suggestions, I spent a week and a half researching a bunch of stuff, and came down to this shortlist -- basically debating how much to spend:

Kinera Nanna (1dd, 1ba, 1e)
iBasso IT07 (1dd, 6ba)
YY ST7 (1dd, 2ba, 4e)
Shuoer/SOWE EJ07 (1dd 2ba, 4e)
Shozy/AAW Pola (1dd, 2e)
Penon Volt (1dd 2ba, 4e)
TRI Starlight4 (1dd 4ba, 4e)
Drop+Empire Ears Zeus (14ba)
Thieaudio Clairvoyance (1dd, 5ba, 2e)
Unique Audio Mini MEST (3ba, 1bcd)
Mofasest Trio (1dd, 2ba, 2 electret)
Fiio FH7 (1dd, 4ba)
Linsoul LZ A7 (1dd, 4ba, 2 piozo)
MoonDrop Blessing 2 (1dd, 1ba)

Reading through the threads of most of these, it seems there is a honeymoon period that lasts for these IEMs for 2-4 months, then the threads die quick deaths, lol. I have to say it's kind of impressive how quickly the tech is evolving in this area. Chifi seems to really be dominating. I like the builds and branding for American stuff like Campfire, JH Audio and Empire Ears, but the reviews are all over the place for them. I was interested in the EE Bravado Mk II but it was dismissed for poor tuning, aimed just to bassheads.

I made an offer on a used pair of Mofasest Trio, never got a response, and in the meantime sold a few odds and ends and had a few hundred in PayPal credit, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Shuoer/SOWE EJ07 from Linsoul (they gave a slight Chinese New Year discount).

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #10,387 of 12,284
I gotta say Fiio FD5 over the Be. Similar driver idea, the FD5 is semi-open so you'll get some more width to the sound, but most importantly the gawdamn cable is detachable. I cannot in good conscience recommend the Be just because the fixed cable makes them an insane liability and recabling isn't cheap.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #10,388 of 12,284
Do you really think I want to bother my GF with semi-open IEMs while I'm listening to my music in bed? Also, I don't understand what's the drama with the non-removable cable of the Be? Maybe it's because I'm not drinking the cable Kool-aid. If the cable breaks, I can tell you that Periodic will send you a brand new pair of Be without asking any questions.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #10,389 of 12,284
I have been looking for the best iem for metal for years and I tried many different iems and I finally decided that I have the best iem for metal, the JH Audio Roxanne Performance Series paired with Acoustic research Ar m2 dap. I tried the same iem with other daps but it doesn't sound as good as with the Acoustic research ar m2. I listened mostly death and technical death metal
20200717_181921.jpg
20200716_184911.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #10,390 of 12,284
Do you really think I want to bother my GF with semi-open IEMs while I'm listening to my music in bed? Also, I don't understand what's the drama with the non-removable cable of the Be? Maybe it's because I'm not drinking the cable Kool-aid. If the cable breaks, I can tell you that Periodic will send you a brand new pair of Be without asking any questions.

Not sure why you seem to be taking this so personally, but okay let's dance.

First off, they're IEMs, the "semi-open" isn't going to be blasting sound outwardly like a set of full-size. I have a pair in my hands and if I plug the nozzles with my thumbs there's no real audible sound coming out of them. You literally can't turn them up loud enough to cause any disturbance unless the other person has their ear smashed up against yours.

For two, I don't give a **** about "cable Kool-aid" as my posts all over this board have proven, including saying that "the best cable is one you think looks pretty because it doesn't make a difference." However you are out of your goddamn mind if you think I want to have a system on my headphones where if something as common as cable failure means I have to contact the manufacturer for a whole new set. If I have a cable short out or the connection weakens, I don't want to have to wait for the company to send me a new set of headphones. Moreover, it means I lose flexibility. The Be's stock cable is garbage. It's thin and weak and didn't take much time at all before it started to wear out.

Finally, you already own the Be and if you're happy with them, sweet. Awesome. I'll send your trophy in the mail. I was giving a second opinion about another product that uses a similar tech to the Be but that is, in my opinion, superior for several reasons. For someone else reading this (like, ohhhhh I dunno, the person above your post) I was offering my input. You know, that whole "purpose of a message board" thing.

But hey you keep on keepin' on, brotha. Glad you're enjoying your Be and your GF isn't bothered. That's the last I'm saying on this dumb argument with you.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #10,391 of 12,284
Many folks are a bit more sensitive these days, but I read YtseJamer's post more as cranky than personal. Aaanyway, I too passed over the FD5 because I was concerned about isolation. Good to know it may not be much of a factor.

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #10,393 of 12,284
I have been looking for the best iem for metal for years and I tried many different iems and I finally decided that I have the best iem for metal, the JH Audio Roxanne Performance Series paired with Acoustic research Ar m2 dap. I tried the same iem with other daps but it doesn't sound as good as with the Acoustic research ar m2. I listened mostly death and technical death metal20200717_181921.jpg20200716_184911.jpg
I have been looking for the best iem for metal for years and I tried many different iems and I finally decided that I have the best iem for metal, the JH Audio Roxanne Performance Series paired with Acoustic research Ar m2 dap. I tried the same iem with other daps but it doesn't sound as good as with the Acoustic research ar m2. I listened mostly death and technical death metal20200717_181921.jpg20200716_184911.jpg
First off, great band and song choice! Those guys are insane.

Secondly, I also have the AR-M2 and will provide an additional tip. I found it provides really phenomenal tone and power for IEMs, but also found it to be a bit on the loud side in terms of background noise and lacked a lot of flexibility in volume control. I picked up the iFi iEMatch and it solved both problems while also tightening up the bass very nicely by dropping the output impedance from the AR-M2’s 10 ohms down to 0.1 ohm. The increased damping factor gives the bass much better control, and combined with the M2’s pure class A power, it yields phenomenal results and really opens up the options for IEMs.

Anyway, it’s a nice cheap tweak that makes that rig even better!

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #10,394 of 12,284
First off, great band and song choice! Those guys are insane.

Secondly, I also have the AR-M2 and will provide an additional tip. I found it provides really phenomenal tone and power for IEMs, but also found it to be a bit on the loud side in terms of background noise and lacked a lot of flexibility in volume control. I picked up the iFi iEMatch and it solved both problems while also tightening up the bass very nicely by dropping the output impedance from the AR-M2’s 10 ohms down to 0.1 ohm. The increased damping factor gives the bass much better control, and combined with the M2’s pure class A power, it yields phenomenal results and really opens up the options for IEMs.

Anyway, it’s a nice cheap tweak that makes that rig even better!
I have the iFi iEMatch because like you said some of the iems need it, but luckily the Roxanne doesn't have the problem with the output impedance. I never said the Acoustic Research is a match for everything but is the best synergy I ever heard with Roxanne. You should try this combination

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #10,395 of 12,284

Users who are viewing this thread

Back