Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 27, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #10,353 of 12,299
I'm leaning towards the Jot 2 for this added flexibility.

I have a pair of FiiO FH7 I'm checking out, and my Liquid Spark on low gain is almost too much power. Anything past 9 o'clock is too much. I don't have a portable dac or dap anymore, so I have limited options here, haha.

The Hemp is also sensitive, so much more power would be overkill.

Good point, I'm hoping that I will be able to use the Jot 2 with all my headphones.

Steve Guttenberg just did a review of the Jot 2.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #10,354 of 12,299
What do you think of the Auteur so far?

I like them a lot. Taking it slow, I haven't swapped pads yet (also got Universe and Eikon pads), and haven't compared amps (Feliks Echo vs Lake People G109, mainly used the Echo), nor used my other headphones during this time. I might try some pad swapping on the weekend but other than that I'm just enjoying them.

Playing the latest Earth Rot record now, never heard a better presentation of the guitar on e.g. The Cape of Storms. So good.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #10,355 of 12,299
I like them a lot. Taking it slow, I haven't swapped pads yet (also got Universe and Eikon pads), and haven't compared amps (Feliks Echo vs Lake People G109, mainly used the Echo), nor used my other headphones during this time. I might try some pad swapping on the weekend but other than that I'm just enjoying them.

Playing the latest Earth Rot record now, never heard a better presentation of the guitar on e.g. The Cape of Storms. So good.

Great. Swapping pads on the ZMF headphones is a bit of a pain, but I think it's the best way to fine-tune the sound of these headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #10,356 of 12,299

That Earth Rot album is fantastic.

My next headphone purchase will be a pair of ZMF's, but I have no idea how I'll decide between the Auteur and the Aeolus without auditioning them first.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #10,357 of 12,299
That Earth Rot album is fantastic.

My next headphone purchase will be a pair of ZMF's, but I have no idea how I'll decide between the Auteur and the Aeolus without auditioning them first.

It is!
Yea that's a tough one, I ended up trying both. Impressions are tricky, for me the Aeolus was quite different than what I expected from reading other peoples reviews etc. And there's an abnormal amount of variables introduced with the pad swapping too.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #10,358 of 12,299
It is!
Yea that's a tough one, I ended up trying both. Impressions are tricky, for me the Aeolus was quite different than what I expected from reading other peoples reviews etc. And there's an abnormal amount of variables introduced with the pad swapping too.
So I've heard. I follow both the Auteur and Aeolus threads here and I don't think I've come across another brand of headphones that seem to change so drastically from pad swaps. Which pads were on the Aeolus you tried? It seems the consensus favorite is the universe suedes over the stock Aeolus pads. My hangup with Aeolus is that it'll be too warm and veiled for my liking but on the other hand, that may actually be OK for some of the more raw / lo fi black metal I listen to. It sounds like the universe suedes help in that regard some but I still wonder if the Auteur's more "neutral" tonality will be better suited for a wider range of genres. I don't typically stray too far from metal genres but I have other headphones I would most likely gravitate towards for the times when I'm listening to jazz or indie rock.

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #10,359 of 12,299
So I've heard. I follow both the Auteur and Aeolus threads here and I don't think I've come across another brand of headphones that seem to change so drastically from pad swaps. Which pads were on the Aeolus you tried? It seems the consensus favorite is the universe suedes over the stock Aeolus pads. My hangup with Aeolus is that it'll be too warm and veiled for my liking but on the other hand, that may actually be OK for some of the more raw / lo fi black metal I listen to. It sounds like the universe suedes help in that regard some but I still wonder if the Auteur's more "neutral" tonality will be better suited for a wider range of genres. I don't typically stray too far from metal genres but I have other headphones I would most likely gravitate towards for the times when I'm listening to jazz or indie rock.

The Aeolus with stock pads is my favourite headphone along with the Atticus for black metal/any lower production value stuff like that. It simultaneously takes a bit of the edge off (without neutering it) as well as generally thickens things a tasteful amount.

When I had the Auteur I actually preferred the perf Eikon pads for similar reasons.

YMMV, but I'd say the Aeolus with stock pads and a set of the suedes would be a better all-rounder vs the Auteur if you listen primarily to heavier music.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #10,360 of 12,299

The stock ones (aeolus), which was definitely too warm and veiled for me. I can't stand super lo-fi black metal that sounds like it was recorded with a cellphone in someones garage though, no matter what I listen through :sweat_smile: Give me the production values of e.g. Rimfrost! Or even half way there.

I won't go into much detail on the Auteur yet but for my tastes it seems like a great all-arounder and a better fit for all metal as well. I also have the Ananda and HD-650 to give some indication on my preferences.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #10,361 of 12,299
The Aeolus with stock pads is my favourite headphone along with the Atticus for black metal/any lower production value stuff like that. It simultaneously takes a bit of the edge off (without neutering it) as well as generally thickens things a tasteful amount.

When I had the Auteur I actually preferred the perf Eikon pads for similar reasons.

YMMV, but I'd say the Aeolus with stock pads and a set of the suedes would be a better all-rounder vs the Auteur if you listen primarily to heavier music.

Appreciate the input. I've been leaning Aeolus since I started looking at ZMF headphones but it's just so hard to know for sure without auditioning. Especially at the $1k+ price point.

The stock ones (aeolus), which was definitely too warm and veiled for me. I can't stand super lo-fi black metal that sounds like it was recorded with a cellphone in someones garage though, no matter what I listen through :sweat_smile: Give me the production values of e.g. Rimfrost! Or even half way there.

I won't go into much detail on the Auteur yet but for my tastes it seems like a great all-arounder and a better fit for all metal as well. I also have the Ananda and HD-650 to give some indication on my preferences.
Thanks for the feedback. Seems that a lot of folks feel the same about the Aeolus with the stock pads. I read that Zach is planning on changing the current standard Aeolus pads to the universe lambs in the near future to help lessen the lower midrange hump that give that sense of too much warmth or veiling.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Auteur once you get more time with them!

And I hear you on the low fidelity, poorly recorded/mastered black metal. I can only go so "raw" but my tolerance has certainly increased over the years. I don't go much harsher than stuff like Yellow Eyes, Vanum, Ifernach, Ferriterium, etc. And I do listen to a lot of BM with better production value such as Inexorum, Firelink, Kvaen, Gaerea, Ondskapt, Necrophobic, etc.

As an aside, if you haven't already, check out The Ruins of Beverast new release The Thule Grimoires. Full album is streaming on Van Records YouTube channel. Some excellent atmospheric black metal with doom-ey undertones. And it doesn't sound like it was recorded through a tin can! :wink:

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #10,362 of 12,299
As an aside, if you haven't already, check out The Ruins of Beverast new release The Thule Grimoires. Full album is streaming on Van Records YouTube channel. Some excellent atmospheric black metal with doom-ey undertones. And it doesn't sound like it was recorded through a tin can! :wink:
Thanks for the pointer, they’re one of my favorite bands (and a one-man band too!) but the release hadn’t popped on my radar.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #10,363 of 12,299
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #10,364 of 12,299
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #10,365 of 12,299
Appreciate the input. I've been leaning Aeolus since I started looking at ZMF headphones but it's just so hard to know for sure without auditioning. Especially at the $1k+ price point.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems that a lot of folks feel the same about the Aeolus with the stock pads. I read that Zach is planning on changing the current standard Aeolus pads to the universe lambs in the near future to help lessen the lower midrange hump that give that sense of too much warmth or veiling.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Auteur once you get more time with them!

And I hear you on the low fidelity, poorly recorded/mastered black metal. I can only go so "raw" but my tolerance has certainly increased over the years. I don't go much harsher than stuff like Yellow Eyes, Vanum, Ifernach, Ferriterium, etc. And I do listen to a lot of BM with better production value such as Inexorum, Firelink, Kvaen, Gaerea, Ondskapt, Necrophobic, etc.

It does suck not being able to sample, and I realize I say this from the privileged position of having a foot in the door by owning a couple sets, but honestly if you can afford it I'd just jump on the next used one that you see. Worst case scenario you don't like it, you'll be able to recoup all of your expenses or very close to it as these things have really held their value and sell quickly. I've never had to wait more than a week to move any ZMF I've owned.

Also, I think we have different definitions of lo fi haha! I'm into plenty of the cleaner stuff you mentioned (that last Vanum record was something) but I'm referring more to things like Paysage d'Hiver, early Blut Aus Nord, Burzum and Darkthrone, etc which are all pretty incredible albums hiding under borderline offensively bad recordings. Then again, I do also agree that the shittiness of said recordings contributes to the vibe (especially Paysage).

Ultimately, perhaps barring those few examples, I don't think anything you're into would sound bad on either ZMF that you're looking at even if I'd favour the Aeolus personally.

Toilet ov Hell's weekly "This Toilet Tuesday" is one of the best because it gives subgenres as well. Here's this week's.

I also use Every Noise at Once like crazy. For example, here we see last week's releases in Post-Doom and related subgenres.

And of course the usual BandCamp feed.

Thanks for this! I didn't know about Every Noise at Once, but this is perfect for someone like me who still buys all my music physically but still wants ways to sample new stuff first. So frustrating when bands don't have a Bandcamp set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back