Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 14, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #8,716 of 12,283
Hi
I’m after headphones for out and about as well as work. Problem is I love all sorts of metal but am also a bit of a bass head. I’m using a Hiby r6 or fiio x5iii with a cayin c5 amp. Any suggestions up to £700?

If you're looking for over-ears headphones, the E-Mu Teaks will fit the bill:
  • sure, they're pretty as can be (earcups)
  • but they're also a closed design (no one else bothered)
  • easy to drive
  • cable is detachable & light
  • ...also very compact on the head & as you move through space (not protruding as far as many HPs)
  • with terrific/impactful bass, pretty decent midrange, and a nice little shimmer in upper midrange.
comfort w/stock pads is an issue for some, but many suggestions for alternative pads in E-Mu Teaks thread here.

FYI, you don't have to buy them new. There's usually a pair or two F.S. here & elsewhere (~$350-$375 USD).

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #8,717 of 12,283
Will take a look at these emu teaks. Yes it's over ear that I would like

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #8,718 of 12,283

They'll leak almost as much as an open. Keep that in mind

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #8,720 of 12,283
What about the massdrop emu purple hearts?

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #8,721 of 12,283
I've used both Denon AH-D2000 and Fostex TH-X00 at the office for years and they do not leak. I don't understand why people say that, unless they are listening at ear-damaging levels far beyond 95dB. In that case, you need an intervention.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #8,722 of 12,283
I've used both Denon AH-D2000 and Fostex TH-X00 at the office for years and they do not leak. I don't understand why people say that, unless they are listening at ear-damaging levels far beyond 95dB. In that case, you need an intervention.

Well, they do, but ok. And I don't listen too loud.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #8,724 of 12,283
Could denons work for me. I can find them more easily than emus

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #8,725 of 12,283
Are the teaks actually closed or are they partially open like the old Denons?

I guess that's a good question, I figured they were the same design as the dx000 line. I know my d2000s leak a decent chunk. It's still less than a full open but they do leak. Maybe the emu is slightly different, from what I recall reading they were the same design just tweaked.

Apr 14, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #8,726 of 12,283

Yeah, the Emu headphones are good. I actually think ebony is much better than teak. I would also recommend the Campfire Cascade as a great option.

MrSpeakers ÆON is also great if you want something more neutral. PSB M4U8 and NAD HP70 are also great if you want noise cancellation- those two were probably the biggest surprise for me at CanJam SoCal.

Apr 14, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #8,727 of 12,283

In all fairness--many of us needed interventions, even before discovering headphones.

Apr 14, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #8,728 of 12,283
@Hansotek

Guess I'll also seek advice for new IEM. I'm someone who usually dabbles in expensive earbuds (not IEMs), but now require the need for isolation at work. I owned the Cypherus ZoomFred earbuds that had forward mids, a strong sub-bass with leaner mid-bass, and neutral to rolled off treble. Converge's latest album sounded amazing through them. The bass guitar rumbles in full while the kick drum sounded tighter with sufficient impact. Do you know of something similar?

To add, I've tried the Campfire Cascade and PA Beryllium, but didn't like either due to a prominent mid/upper bass. The kick drum and vocals would be too thick and over power the bass guitar. I guess I just prefer sub over those bass frequencies, else it sounds too muddy to my ears.

The iBasso IT01 had the bass signature I was looking for, but it's mids were too lean and treble a tiny bit harsh than I would prefer. I'm hoping their IT04 will be exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm interested in knowing what else is there.

Edit: Assume budget is under $1K, but preferably around $500-$750.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #8,729 of 12,283
[
If you’re looking for comfort and might lay on your side, you should probably get a CIEM. If you can afford the JH, it’s going to be the best for comfort and sound of any of these options. They are really awesome for metal in my experience, and we like a lot of the same bands.

QUOTE="Hansotek, post: 14173469, member: 403165"]If you’re looking for comfort and might lay on your side, you should probably get a CIEM. If you can afford the JH, it’s going to be the best for comfort and sound of any of these options. They are really awesome for metal in my experience, and we like a lot of the same bands.[/QUOTE]

Okay I think I'll make the JH my next main investment but like I said I've just bought Eikons (albeit used).

How do you rate Final and Klipsch in-ears? Purely a cheaper stopgap I needn't be too precious with. I don't mind if they're not so trendy lol they look as though I might not have any comfort issues.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #8,730 of 12,283
[

QUOTE="Hansotek, post: 14173469, member: 403165"]If you’re looking for comfort and might lay on your side, you should probably get a CIEM. If you can afford the JH, it’s going to be the best for comfort and sound of any of these options. They are really awesome for metal in my experience, and we like a lot of the same bands.

Okay I think I'll make the JH my next main investment but like I said I've just bought Eikons (albeit used).

How do you rate Final and Klipsch in-ears? Purely a cheaper stopgap I needn't be too precious with. I don't mind if they're not so trendy lol they look as though I might not have any comfort issues.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Yeah, I just re-listened to the 3X Pro today, and I’m feeling solid on that one as a recommendation. I think you’re going to like it a lot.

As far as a cheap stop-gap goes the Final E2000 has a really good all around signature that pretty much works with anything for $45 USD. It will be better with slightly warm mastering styles like Gojira, but is still pretty decent with brighter stuff like Maiden. That’s where you’re really going to feel the upgrade with the JH - it’s got a warmer tint that will make that stuff real nice and will make the warmer stuff sound more brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back