Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #7,636 of 12,284
May 18, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #7,638 of 12,284
I may or may not have received a Lake People RS06 DAC today. Yes, I know I have problems.

Haven't heard that one. My curiosity is piqued. Let us know what you think.

May 19, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #7,641 of 12,284
Ooo. Did you manage to pick one up second hand or did you splurge for a brand new one?

I got a great deal on a used one on the classifieds. It's in like-new condition. I don't believe it has the USB upgrade, but I'm trying to get the invoice from the first owner to confirm. It sounds great through Tidal, however. I'm looking to compare it to the Mojo over the next couple days. I expect the RS06 will be a tad better, but I'm trying to keep an open mind A/B-ing them. The Mojo, despite its size, shames many larger, more expensive DACs.

My chain is LP RS06 --> Liquid Carbon --> HE560 for headphones. My MrSpeaker AEONs are arriving on Monday.
For 2-Channel, it's LP RS06 --> Denon AVR920W --> Klipsch RP160. I'm very happy.

Once my buyer pays, I will successfully have trimmed my collection down to the HE560s, the Periodic Audio BE (for work and gym) and the AOENs. No fat in that collection!

May 19, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #7,642 of 12,284
I have experienced some build quality issues with the Berylliums, however. I just reached out to their cs department. Hopefully they resolved these issues in subsequent runs. They offer a 5-yr warranty, so I expect they'll sort it out.

I'll report back on how that goes.

May 19, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #7,643 of 12,284
Uh... heads up, there's a $2,499 Abyss in the classifieds, in case anybody wants to skip the line and go right to the top.

May 20, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #7,645 of 12,284
Less than six months ago I bought a brand new in box HE-6.
Tonite the left channel just died.:triportsad:

This is going to be interesting to see how Upscale Audio is going to handle this,and how HiFiMan will handle it...A new,but discontinued product failing after a short time.

Not pleased.

May 20, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #7,646 of 12,284
Less than six months ago I bought a brand new in box HE-6.
Tonite the left channel just died.:triportsad:

This is going to be interesting to see how Upscale Audio is going to handle this,and how HiFiMan will handle it...A new,but discontinued product failing after a short time.

Not pleased.

Good luck. I hope they are able to repair or replace for you. Given the short amount of time and that you bought from a dealer, I would imagine there's some kind of warranty protection, right?

May 20, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #7,647 of 12,284
I got a chance to compare my HE-6 to the Susvara. Considering the 6000$ pricetag, I can’t say, that I am impressed. It is better built, offers more details and I also like the better tamed highs more, but it is nowhere close being worth that much. Also it doesn’t have the very fast and hard hitting bass that the HE-6 has. My disappointment of the show.

The Abyss 1266 phi on the other hand was much more to my liking. Very good dynamics, great soundstage, a lot more details and built like a tank. This is the first headphone above the ~1000 bucks range, that I seriously consider saving up for. (Utopia sounds too thin to me and the LCD-4 also didn’t leave me impressed)

My second highlight was the Smyth Realiser A16. Wow this thing is amazing. Out of all the virtual 3D things I have tried so far, this is the first time that it actually works. They had a Stax Lambda (202 I think) and a surround setup with Yamaha monitors, where the tilting of the headphone would switch between the headphones and the speakers.

It works so well, that I actually tested the titling function during my audition to make sure, that the speakers are really switched off. Only the sounds above and under yourself were noticeable weaker (but still very good)

I also asked the guys if they would make a “digital only” version without dac and amp (so it would be cheaper) and they are considering it. (Let’s hope so :) )

May 20, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #7,648 of 12,284
I got a chance to compare my HE-6 to the Susvara. Considering the 6000$ pricetag, I can’t say, that I am impressed. It is better built, offers more details and I also like the better tamed highs more, but it is nowhere close being worth that much. Also it doesn’t have the very fast and hard hitting bass that the HE-6 has. My disappointment of the show.

The Abyss 1266 phi on the other hand was much more to my liking. Very good dynamics, great soundstage, a lot more details and built like a tank. This is the first headphone above the ~1000 bucks range, that I seriously consider saving up for. (Utopia sounds too thin to me and the LCD-4 also didn’t leave me impressed)

My second highlight was the Smyth Realiser A16. Wow this thing is amazing. Out of all the virtual 3D things I have tried so far, this is the first time that it actually works. They had a Stax Lambda (202 I think) and a surround setup with Yamaha monitors, where the tilting of the headphone would switch between the headphones and the speakers.

It works so well, that I actually tested the titling function during my audition to make sure, that the speakers are really switched off. Only the sounds above and under yourself were noticeable weaker (but still very good)

I also asked the guys if they would make a “digital only” version without dac and amp (so it would be cheaper) and they are considering it. (Let’s hope so :) )

Agreed! The Smyth Realizer A16 is one of the most impressive demos I've ever heard. It completely fools your brain into thinking you're listening to surround sound speakers!

Also agree with your comments on the, Abyss Phi and Hifiman Susvara. Hilarious that Susvara is the more expensive of the two. It's a very mediocre headphone, IMO.

(Edit - by the way, the headphone they use for the Smyth demo is the Stax SR-L300 with an SRM252 amplifier... in case you were wondering.)

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #7,649 of 12,284
Good luck. I hope they are able to repair or replace for you. Given the short amount of time and that you bought from a dealer, I would imagine there's some kind of warranty protection, right?

According to Upscale Audio I 'should' be golden...He assured me they would do everything possible to ensure im happy.That being said he wants me to deal with HiFiMan directly to 'expedite' the process by removing themselves as middleman...

HiFiMan's customer service isnt open on the weekends :/

May 21, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #7,650 of 12,284
According to Upscale Audio I 'should' be golden...He assured me they would do everything possible to ensure im happy.That being said he wants me to deal with HiFiMan directly to 'expedite' the process by removing themselves as middleman...

HiFiMan's customer service isnt open on the weekends :/
Please keep us posted on how this goes. As I just purchased a used pair of HE-6's I am curious how HiFiMan handles their repair. Good luck! They are great headphones but hope I don't have any reliability issues. My pair seems fine at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back