Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 24, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #7,666 of 12,284
It's been a while, do we have any updates on Focal Utopia on Metal?
I've been using my Z1R and is happy with it, although I have to admit I do miss open headphone.

I listen mostly to Death, Doom, Black, Prog

After many listens, I think it's great for metal with the right gear. I'd definitely recommend a thick, robust sounding amp with big bass -like the Cavalli Liquid Crimson/Glass/Gold - to pair with it; and the DanaCable Lazuli Reference if you're looking to max out the impact and body from the cable.

It would be pretty tough to beat that setup, IMO.

May 24, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #7,667 of 12,284
I mentioned Spotify's Discover Weekly feature indirectly regarding algorithms. What confuses Spotify's formula is that I sample a wide range of new releases that are not always stuff I like. So it's about 99% misses, and my time is better spent the way I described. Sure, no effort is required, but the returns I think are not as consistent quality if you actually do the seeking yourself.
Yeah, as I mentioned, it works better if you "use" the service - including playing your favorites (more) often than just sampling for newer music.

May 24, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #7,669 of 12,284
How are the AKG 7XX? I got the red version from Massdrop as I needed an open pair for work.

You got them from massdrop already? What do you mean by how they are then?...

I found HD600 to be more comfortable in general, HD7XX has less bass than HD600 and has a softer sound in general. Works well with classical, really well. With metal, it depends on what type of metal.

May 24, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #7,670 of 12,284
I found them to be quite pedestrian for metal,nothing special,but supremely comfortable,much more than HD600(Sorry George)

May 24, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #7,671 of 12,284
I found them to be quite pedestrian for metal,nothing special,but supremely comfortable,much more than HD600(Sorry George)

No worries, everyone has a different ear shape and size, my ears are a bit big and what made them uncomfortable was the pad depth, they would sit on the ears for me, I'm sorry that I couldn't enjoy more their comfort, I kinda liked the sound...

May 24, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #7,672 of 12,284
HE6 update:

After several phone calls and quite a few emails i have corresponded with no less than three different folks.
What has been offered to me is shipping them to China to have them repaired(shipping at my expense)or ship them,again at my expense,to a warehouse in NY and a refurbished pair will be shipped to me.The warehouse,it turns out is about ten miles from my home,so im asking to make the swap in person this weekend.

Thus far they have been very helpful,but clearly this is the first in warranty HE6 theyve dealt with in quite some time...lots of confusion.

Hope to have a new pair in house this weekend,will keep yall updated.

May 24, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #7,673 of 12,284
Man the original Hifiman HE400 still rocks with a good cable and a good amp. Broke it out tonight to give it a listen on the Ampsandound Agartha 300B amp with a Norne Draug 2 cable. It is just awesome when you feed it the best.

\m/ :L3000: \m/

May 25, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #7,675 of 12,284
Trying to decide between the T1 and HD800. Which one wpuld handle prog, power, and folk metal best?

Hey, welcome to the thread! :)

In almost every scenario the T1 is an iffy and unquestionably overpriced headphone. I owned it, and I really wouldn't recommend it for metal at all. It has weak, weak impact on all but a very small number of amps and it lacks the textual microdynamics to give you a strong rhythmic connection to the music. If you're checking it out because you read it was good for metal on Headfonia's T1 vs. HD800 showdown, I'll tell you that observation was completely off base on their part and it wasted a lot of people's money (including my own).

The HD800 is much better in pretty much every way, but, as I'm sure you know, it is extremely finicky with the audio chain - you can hear the effects of not only your amp and DAC, but your RCA cables, power cables, headphone cable... everything. It can be a little bit harsh with the wrong chain, but with the right equipment, it is absolutely sublime. So between the two, I'd pick that one... but there are many other options available that are even better for metal that are worth considering such as the MrSpeakers ETHER and ÆON, the Hifiman HE-6, the ZMF Atticus and Eikon, and a couple of Stax models.

We tend to be a pretty helpful bunch in this thread, so if you could enlighten us to your budget and the other equipment in your audio chain, we'll make sure you end up with something you really like.

May 25, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #7,676 of 12,284
I cannot speak on the HD800,but the T1,as Hansotek said,isnt very good for metal.It lacks impact and is really quite dull for metal of all kinds....not to mention it can be quite bright(as can HD800).

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #7,677 of 12,284
Im looking to keep it around the 1k mark as far as money goes. Im currerently using a Xonar essence, but my source and amp depends on my choice. Im looking at either the LD MK3 or Valhalla in the near future as far as amping goes. But again, that could change depending on what I set mt sights on.

Edit: Is the Atticus worth looking at? I know the Eikon is spoken highly of but that may be a bit out of my price range

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #7,678 of 12,284
You got them from massdrop already? What do you mean by how they are then?...

I found HD600 to be more comfortable in general, HD7XX has less bass than HD600 and has a softer sound in general. Works well with classical, really well. With metal, it depends on what type of metal.

The drop just closed. No idea when they ship.

May 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #7,679 of 12,284
Im looking to keep it around the 1k mark as far as money goes. Im currerently using a Xonar essence, but my source and amp depends on my choice. Im looking at either the LD MK3 or Valhalla in the near future as far as amping goes. But again, that could change depending on what I set mt sights on.

Edit: Is the Atticus worth looking at? I know the Eikon is spoken highly of but that may be a bit out of my price range

1000.00 for all equipment or just for headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back