Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 10, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #7,621 of 12,284
@Hansotek thank you for your very detailed post, the aeon for sure looks good! Yeah its pretty hard to describe what im really looking for using audiophile terminology ^^

Thanks ya'll!

May 10, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #7,622 of 12,284
If it's within budget, it probably outperforms the 400i pretty substantially in every one of the aforementioned aspects, so no need to worry about narrowing that down!

IMO, ÆON is probably the best all-in-one "I don't really need another headphone" solution out there right now that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

...Clearing the rest of my collection as we speak. I just wonder whether the soundstage is close enough to the HE560 that it will do well for for gaming too. What do you think?

But I do plan on keeping the Periodic Beryllium for work and the gym. Third day in and they're the real deal.

May 10, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #7,623 of 12,284
...Clearing the rest of my collection as we speak. I just wonder whether the soundstage is close enough to the HE560 that it will do well for for gaming too. What do you think?

But I do plan on keeping the Periodic Beryllium for work and the gym. Third day in and they're the real deal.

Nice! I didn't see you got the Periodic! The Beryllium is the jam.

Truth be told, I have no idea how the soundstage of the ÆON compares to the HE560. @Stillhart might have a better idea, but IDK if he's ever compared them head to head. The ÆON is certainly pretty spacious though. It's no HD800, but it's much more than you would expect from a closed headphone. Like HD600/650 size.

May 10, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #7,624 of 12,284
Not very metal, but very good for evaluating gear:

Attachments

• Capture+_2017-05-10-20-19-57.png
    Capture+_2017-05-10-20-19-57.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 11, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #7,625 of 12,284

Nice! I didn't see you got the Periodic! The Beryllium is the jam.

Truth be told, I have no idea how the soundstage of the ÆON compares to the HE560. @Stillhart might have a better idea, but IDK if he's ever compared them head to head. The ÆON is certainly pretty spacious though. It's no HD800, but it's much more than you would expect from a closed headphone. Like HD600/650 size.

I haven't had the two at the same time together, unfortunately. But the HE-560 has a pretty good soundstage so no, the AEON isn't going to be as big. I haven't really tried the AEON for gaming much... truth be told, I'm not doing much gaming that benefits from staging these days... mostly like Diablo and HOTS. But they are good for wearing for hours on end with zero fatigue from comfort or treble issues, and that's pretty important in a gaming headphone IMO.

I've been listening to Gojira's "Magma" album the last few days and having my mind blown. Fantastic album that I'd never heard before! AEON does it justice but it's really busy and benefits from a bigger stage like on the HD800 or even the Eikon. Man it sounds good on the ZMF's...

May 11, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #7,626 of 12,284
I haven't had the two at the same time together, unfortunately. But the HE-560 has a pretty good soundstage so no, the AEON isn't going to be as big. I haven't really tried the AEON for gaming much... truth be told, I'm not doing much gaming that benefits from staging these days... mostly like Diablo and HOTS. But they are good for wearing for hours on end with zero fatigue from comfort or treble issues, and that's pretty important in a gaming headphone IMO.

I've been listening to Gojira's "Magma" album the last few days and having my mind blown. Fantastic album that I'd never heard before! AEON does it justice but it's really busy and benefits from a bigger stage like on the HD800 or even the Eikon. Man it sounds good on the ZMF's...

Yeah the Gojira Magma album is just awesome :)

May 11, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #7,628 of 12,284
Yeah Gojira is badass,but Monsterzero always kicks his rear.....Oh,youre talking about the band?
Nevermind.

May 11, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #7,630 of 12,284
51luMbSrBWL.jpg
Gojira is the Japanese(and correct)name for Godzilla

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #7,631 of 12,284
My current favourite setup for metal is my HD600 through Oppo HA-2 SE with bass boost on (+6db I think). Really rounds out the headphone for me.

May 11, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #7,632 of 12,284
Gojira is the best band name, and makes sense in that Gojira emerges from the post-nuclear explosion radioactive waters, as the band's lyrics are often about the ocean and it's doomed future. Gojira are incredible live, and are touring right now. They're at Red Rocks tonight with Opeth. I don't love the direction they've taken with the recent albums, being heavily influenced by Killing Joke's post-industrial sound.

May 14, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #7,633 of 12,284
Finally figured out how to connect my DACs to my (overly complicated) Denon receiver. The Mojo -->Denon AVR 920W --> Klipsch RP160s is an awesome combination.

I know this is a headphone thread, but I really love these speakers for metal.

May 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #7,634 of 12,284
Finally figured out how to connect my DACs to my (overly complicated) Denon receiver. The Mojo -->Denon AVR 920W --> Klipsch RP160s is an awesome combination.

I know this is a headphone thread, but I really love these speakers for metal.

I know, right? I keep trying to tell people the Mojo is awesome for 2-channel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back