Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #7,593 of 12,284
@Hansotek - Have you listened to the Denon AH-D7200 or the Bowers & Wilkins P9? I can get the P9 for about $650-700, so I'm curious if you think it's a good deal at that price point.

I have not heard either one, but I did finally get a chance to listen to a couple things people have been asking about in this thread recently at the Minneapolis meet today.

First I'll start with the Kennerton Vali. Short story is it is really, really good with metal. It definitely has some noticeable coloration to it. The timbre doesn't sound completely natural to me, so it's not going to be totally transparent, but the tone is very good and musical. Impact is snappy and powerful and the upper midrange has a nice lift to it that really sounds awesome with guitars.

I also heard the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label, which really impressed me. I'm borrowing it for a couple weeks to compare to the Mojo. We'll see how the comparison shakes out.

I also got another chance to hear a modded HE-6 on the Wells Milo... really awesome synergy between those two. I was absolutely blasting metal through them and it's a really tough combo to beat.

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #7,594 of 12,284
I have not heard either one, but I did finally get a chance to listen to a couple things people have been asking about in this thread recently at the Minneapolis meet today.

First I'll start with the Kennerton Vali. Short story is it is really, really good with metal. It definitely has some noticeable coloration to it. The timbre doesn't sound completely natural to me, so it's not going to be totally transparent, but the tone is very good and musical. Impact is snappy and powerful and the upper midrange has a nice lift to it that really sounds awesome with guitars.

I also heard the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label, which really impressed me. I'm borrowing it for a couple weeks to compare to the Mojo. We'll see how the comparison shakes out.

I also got another chance to hear a modded HE-6 on the Wells Milo... really awesome synergy between those two. I was absolutely blasting metal through them and it's a really tough combo to beat.
Happy to hear that about the Vali, as I was able to get in on the last Massdrop on them. Not supposed to get them until next month some time though.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #7,596 of 12,284
I really liked the idsd Micro silver, I'm sure the Black Label is also good. I'm curious how different they sound and how well the BL hangs with the Mojo, primarily as a dac, but also as an amp.

May 5, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #7,602 of 12,284
May 7, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #7,603 of 12,284
This is the metal thread, no?

I do think that this is something to remember for all metal fans. No matter how big of a metal fan you are, you will agree on which sounds better.

This is actually the thread for discussing headphones for metal. The metal music discussion thread is this one .

May 7, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #7,604 of 12,284
This is actually the thread for discussing headphones for metal. The metal music discussion thread is this one .

Oh. We have a metal thread as well.

Thank you! We really needed this one!

Sorry for mentioning that here then, I do wish that audio masters would see those things and understand that it would be good to stop fromd doing that to music before it is too late...

BTW, I've been happily enjoying music with iDSD + Meze 99 C and Sen ie800 for the past three weeks now. I love those combos lately. Maybe I'm mellowing out, from metal to rocks, but those are golden combos for any kind of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back