Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 22, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #6,799 of 12,284
  I have come to the conclusion that there are no good headphones for metal... =(

Depends on how you like your metal to sound,and the sub genres of metal you like.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #6,802 of 12,284
I can't think of anything that sounds bad via LCD-4. Lol.

Their ability is withstanding, but I couldn't enjoy any metal out of them, or any music for that matter. Objectively, they are smooth. subjectively, they are so boring, no treble, no sparkles. They are also heavy and after wearing them for 20 minutes I already had neck pain. That's something to take into account when buying a pair. I'm not one to complain in general, but that is a major drawback - I wear headphones 8 hours a day. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #6,803 of 12,284
Their ability is withstanding, but I couldn't enjoy any metal out of them, or any music for that matter. Objectively, they are smooth. subjectively, they are so boring, no treble, no sparkles. They are also heavy and after wearing them for 20 minutes I already had neck pain. That's something to take into account when buying a pair. I'm not one to complain in general, but that is a major drawback - I wear headphones 8 hours a day. 
What source did you get to try them with? Boring at what listening level?

If you're listening under 85 dB for 8 hours a day—sure. You probably want more treble energy. At the same time, if you listened above that with something treble tipped, I'm thinking you'll experience listeners fatigue far before 8 hours is reached.

It's all about balance after all. I experience no physical fatigue personally until many hours into a session (over 5). I never experience listeners fatigue.

Weight is only a problem for people with terrible posture and ergonomics in my opinion. If I hunched forward all day, my neck would be tired without a headphone period. Sit/stand up straight. :p

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #6,805 of 12,284
They are definitely not boring off of my chain Yggy>>Krell KTC>>Firstwatt J2. I would reflect on the gear in use if any sense of "boredom" is experienced.

They are smooth 
frown.gif

This is my subjective opinion, I dislike smooth signatures. 

My objective opinion is that many will love LCD-4 and it sounds really good, has a fast signature, great details, textures and transients. Tone is natural and it is one of the best headphones made. 

Please understand that my subjective impression cannot be changed regardless of how good it is, I need bright sound. 

My listening levels begin from "I can't hear you, Grandma" to "Stop that plane, it is killing me ears!"

Anything from normal to un human loud. 

LCD4, while really good, lacked some treble spark that I desperately need. This is why I won ie800 and why I like HD800S. Kinda my type of signature. 

Tested LCD4 from everything starting at ifi iDSD and ending at Wa22. A lot of in between. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #6,806 of 12,284
They are smooth :frowning2:

This is my subjective opinion, I dislike smooth signatures. 

My objective opinion is that many will love LCD-4 and it sounds really good, has a fast signature, great details, textures and transients. Tone is natural and it is one of the best headphones made. 

Please understand that my subjective impression cannot be changed regardless of how good it is, I need bright sound. 

My listening levels begin from "I can't hear you, Grandma" to "Stop that plane, it is killing me ears!"

Anything from normal to un human loud. 

LCD4, while really good, lacked some treble spark that I desperately need. This is why I won ie800 and why I like HD800S. Kinda my type of signature. 

Tested LCD4 from everything starting at ifi iDSD and ending at Wa22. A lot of in between. 

I respect that, but smooth and boring are two different beasts. They have thundering bass and fantastic mids.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #6,807 of 12,284
I respect that, but smooth and boring are two different beasts. They have thundering bass and fantastic mids.

They really do! 
beerchug.gif

Whether something's boring or exciting is not something objective but subjective (?) , but yeah, LCD-4 are great on both bass and mids, there is no contest to that. Fazors are especially good at that! Fast sound and good detail retrieval as well. 

My neck still hurt after 20-30 minutes, I wish I could had worn them longer.

My wife is at the other end of audio, she really loves LCD series and she thinks they are the best sounding (euphoric and sweet) headphones ever made. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #6,808 of 12,284
What's your price range? There are lots of good options. Many of them are expensive, unfortunately. 

I agree that finding iems that are good for metal is challenging, however. Especially under $100. 

My phonak pfe is pretty fantastic with metal, particularly the grey and black filters (green rolls off the treble too much for my tastes). Have to buy them used though.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #6,809 of 12,284

Have you tried Ultrasone headphones? Any model? Grado? 

I'll be a little more specific. No good IEM's.....................................................................

That are affordable.

For home use I have the ATH-M50 and Alpha Dogs, with a Schiit Modi/Magni stack and they are all collecting dust on a shelf. I can't wear headphones at home due to the isolation. My wife would end up hitting me in the back of the head with a baseball bat. 

It sounds good enough for me, but 99% of my listening is on the go. I've tried several IEM's and not real happy with any. I've even added a FiiO E17 Alpen to my iPod Classic 160Gb to give it some power. Currently using Etymotic Research MK-5's. They are ok, but I have to crank the gain and bass for it to sound close to decent. 

I'm used to having a decent rig in my truck. Nothing fancy, but a sub adds so many levels... I have JL Audio components and a stealthbox under the rear seat in my Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew, using the HD-900/5 amp. It's not the best I've ever had, but I'm not young and single any more. It rumbles enough for what I need it to do. 

I'm looking for that concert quality sound in an IEM. Powerful, clear, sharp, and tight bass.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #6,810 of 12,284
I can't think of anything that sounds bad via LCD-4. Lol.

When I went to the SF meet-up I tried everything there. They all sounded like a vibrating dog turd with metal. I love metal, I love it loud, I love feeling the kick drum hit me in the chest. Sadly, everything I tried was a whisper. Was very sad that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back