Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 19, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #6,781 of 12,302
  Yeah, that's probably true, mrspeakers has really expanded their line since the original ether. I think the aeon will succeed where the el8 failed 

I think had they made the Sine an Over-ear the size of the meze99 classics, they would have succeed in that category. EL8 is just too big for it's intended use-case.

The Aeon is also too big for me, but at least it is light and comfortable. EL8 is still a bit heavy.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #6,782 of 12,302
that's true, but I DUNU what you meant by the one who spends the most, thought it was hifiman or schiit 
Even CanJam NYC had Schiit and Audeze all over everything. The Press Kits are sold for a certain amount of coinage too I presume. I suspect that's why a lot of the coverage is of the same content with very little branching out to other brands/manufacturers.

Audeze is trying to push their way into apple stores for broader mass market appeal like Beats and Bose with these lightning cables, iems, portables, etc. Some consumers only equate price with quality. "These are the most expensive—they must be the best."

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #6,783 of 12,302
Even CanJam NYC had Schiit and Audeze all over everything. The Press Kits are sold for a certain amount of coinage too I presume. I suspect that's why a lot of the coverage is of the same content with very little branching out to other brands/manufacturers.

Audeze is trying to push their way into apple stores for broader mass market appeal like Beats and Bose with these lightning cables, iems, portables, etc. Some consumers only equate price with quality. "These are the most expensive—they must be the best."

yeah, that's true. Definitely noticed audeze doing that and trying to get their sine devices apple certified. I don't read the press stuff or anything 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #6,784 of 12,302
  I think had they made the Sine an Over-ear the size of the meze99 classics, they would have succeed in that category. EL8 is just too big for it's intended use-case.

The Aeon is also too big for me, but at least it is light and comfortable. EL8 is still a bit heavy.

I share the same sentiments on the sine, I think if audeze made an over ear sine or a wireless version, then they would have potentially more market share

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #6,785 of 12,302

What do you mean by that statement? Press kits being "sold"? At best, you get a one-sheeter missing half the data you actually need for your write-up.

You see a lot of coverage on the same stuff because those are hot pieces of equipment, and in turn, those are the reviews everyone wants to read. The exception, of course, is off-the-beaten path stuff where you know you're going to be the only review of the product for a while. Too much stuff comes out too fast to cover all of it. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #6,786 of 12,302

....And AEON also sounds significantly better than any of the aforementioned headphones.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #6,787 of 12,302
Let me know!

I'm sure it's a good headphone, but I assume it will have rolled-off treble and be too warm.

Let me know if it's similar in sound to the Listen or PM-3.

Surprisingly, it's not rolled off or overly warm. It's closer to the Listen than the PM-3, tuning-wise.

Turns out they sent me the Triple Driver In-Ear (to compare to the quad driver), not the Over-Ear. I took in way too much info during CanJam NYC to process that, apparently. :frowning2:

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #6,788 of 12,302

Surprisingly, it's not rolled off or overly warm. It's closer to the Listen than the PM-3, tuning-wise.

Turns out they sent me the Triple Driver In-Ear (to compare to the quad driver), not the Over-Ear. I took in way too much info during CanJam NYC to process that, apparently. :frowning2:

How would you compare the Aeon to their top-shelf offerings, say Ether/Ether C? I see quite a few used ones sale for good price, the Aeon being a new product will probably cost almost the same to bring in to Canada. If prices were the same would you pick Aeon or Ether/Ether C?

And is this 1more triple driver you talk about? Haha I bought these for my wife yesterday reading all the good reviews, she hated them. Can't even return cuz IEMs are not returnable, gotta sell it. The woman doesn't know what she likes, I suspect from my experiments she would like something slightly more neutral (compared to 1more) with better isolation. Anyway enough off topic! 

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #6,789 of 12,302
  How would you compare the Aeon to their top-shelf offerings, say Ether/Ether C? I see quite a few used ones sale for good price, the Aeon being a new product will probably cost almost the same to bring in to Canada. If prices were the same would you pick Aeon or Ether/Ether C?

And is this 1more triple driver you talk about? Haha I bought these for my wife yesterday reading all the good reviews, she hated them. Can't even return cuz IEMs are not returnable, gotta sell it. The woman doesn't know what she likes, I suspect from my experiments she would like something slightly more neutral (compared to 1more) with better isolation. Anyway enough off topic! 

Yeah, their naming architecture is kinda confusing. I thought they were sending the over-ear (pictured here), not the in-ear.

To answer your other question Ether and Ether-C are better, though I probably prefer the AEON to the Ether-C personally. But, the big deal with AEON is that it is VERY close in quality to it's older brothers. My review will be up in about a week or so.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #6,790 of 12,302

Yeah, their naming architecture is kinda confusing. I thought they were sending the over-ear (pictured here), not the in-ear.
To answer your other question Ether and Ether-C are better, though I probably prefer the AEON to the Ether-C personally. But, the big deal with AEON is that it is VERY close in quality to it's older brothers. My review will be up in about a week or so.

Yeah I remember reading about these in the impressions thread, multi-driver over ears, interesting choice. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #6,791 of 12,302
What do you mean by that statement? Press kits being "sold"? At best, you get a one-sheeter missing half the data you actually need for your write-up.

You see a lot of coverage on the same stuff because those are hot pieces of equipment, and in turn, those are the reviews everyone wants to read. The exception, of course, is off-the-beaten path stuff where you know you're going to be the only review of the product for a while. Too much stuff comes out too fast to cover all of it. 
As per the press kit comment, IDK. Talking with fellow colleagues and we were dumbfounded to see so much gear that was at the show to be 100% absent from mention any and everywhere we found reported coverage from CanJam. I overheard that you had to pay to be mentioned/featured in the "Official Show Guide" even if you were there and had reserved a booth (or booths).

Fair enough as it's a business. Business is about making money to stay in business and expand. I just find it odd how much gear was neglected. I realize it's nigh impossible to cover everything, but I still think it's reasonable that between all attendees and publications that all of the gear at the show would've been covered collectively.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #6,792 of 12,302

When you say the 1More over-ears are more similar to the Listens, but with potentially better ergonomics, it sounds like a great value proposition.

Keep us in the loop on the 1More offerings. I'm always looking for high quality, low price.

It's a brilliant strategy for them to master the "consumer-oriented" sound. I hope that as they move upmarket, they continue to evolve their tunings to appeal to us, while keeping the price-to-performance ratio high. From a marketing and strategy perspective, they are a very exciting company to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back