Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 19, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #6,766 of 12,302
  Any impressions on how HD800 S perform with metal? Specific genres: prog metal(core), tech death, mathcore, metallic hardcore. So mainly fast, noisy stuff, with the occasional slamming breakdowns.

Speaking from my personal experience, demoing them is your best bet. Your local dealer probably has a capable amp to demo with. Don't worry too much about the source, take your music in the phone and demo. I stayed away from HD800 due to the extremely polarizing opinions, turns out the HD800S are exactly my type. I listen to all the genres you listed. I had the "endgame" HE6 setup before, but after a month of owning  both I sold the HE6 since it's not getting any head time. So demo and trust your ears!

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #6,767 of 12,302

Best thing to do! 

HD800S has a bit less treble, but it's still HD800 . I like that kinda treble to be honest and I don't think it to be overwhelming, but it might be piercing to some and with certain music. 

Have you tried any LCD series headphones? OR HD650? Those are pretty good! 

If you're looking for nice bass and a more relaxed treble, Ultrasone Signature Dj might also be an option, and some people swear by Beyerdynamic headphones 
gs1000.gif

I have heard the LCD-2 and they're currently for sale on the forum. Great headphone, but doesn't work well if there's little to no dynamics to play with, which sadly the music I listen to rarely does.

My current main drivers are the HE500. I love them to bits, but am looking for the next step. My approach to finding it may be a little half-assed, I'm trying to fix the main negatives I have about them: shallow soundstage and so-so instrument separation. So my interest in the HD800S was to see if those qualities would be something I would enjoy to begin with as they seem to be highly regarded in those areas.

That said, suggestions on what the next logical step from the HE500 would are welcome. I would like to retain their sound signature, but maybe get more of everything else. Atticus/Eikon has definitely peaked my interest, but them being closed has stopped me from pulling the trigger before more reviews come in.

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #6,768 of 12,302

I have heard the LCD-2 and they're currently for sale on the forum. Great headphone, but doesn't work well if there's little to no dynamics to play with, which sadly the music I listen to rarely does.

My current main drivers are the HE500. I love them to bits, but am looking for the next step. My approach to finding it may be a little half-assed, I'm trying to fix the main negatives I have about them: shallow soundstage and so-so instrument separation. So my interest in the HD800S was to see if those qualities would be something I would enjoy to begin with as they seem to be highly regarded in those areas.

That said, suggestions on what the next logical step from the HE500 would are welcome. I would like to retain their sound signature, but maybe get more of everything else. Atticus/Eikon has definitely peaked my interest, but them being closed has stopped me from pulling the trigger before more reviews come in.

Sennheiser ie800 - but it is an in-ear 

I am looking for the best closed back headphone as well. 

If you're cutting HD800 and Grado from the start, there are only a very few that might satisfy. 

electrostats or Planars might be worth looking into if you want to take the time 
very_evil_smiley.gif
, but I have no experience with electrostats. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #6,769 of 12,302

I have an LCD-2.2 pf for sale,message me if youre interested....

If youre looking for an upgrade to the HE-500,then look into a used HE-6,but you need an extremely powerful amp for it.

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #6,770 of 12,302
  I have an LCD-2.2 pf for sale,message me if youre interested....

If youre looking for an upgrade to the HE-500,then look into a used HE-6,but you need an extremely powerful amp for it.

Is it just me, or has the popularity of audeze headphones gone down significantly since mrspeakers, hifiman, and zmf started offering competitive solutions 

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #6,771 of 12,302
  Is it just me, or has the popularity of audeze headphones gone down significantly since mrspeakers, hifiman, and zmf started offering competitive solutions 

I think so, I think people are fed-up with the weight issue and quality control problem.
I think they should make their headphone a lot lighter and comfortable to compete well with their current pricing.

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #6,772 of 12,302
I think so, I think people are fed-up with the weight issue and quality control problem.
I think they should make their headphone a lot lighter and comfortable to compete well with their current pricing.

It's mind boggling how they haven't fixed the ergonomic issues in all these years. It's a simple fix. Even custom made T50rp mods fixed this issue years ago. What are they doing in their R&D department?

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #6,773 of 12,302
It's mind boggling how they haven't fixed the ergonomic issues in all these years. It's a simple fix. Even custom made T50rp mods fixed this issue years ago. What are they doing in their R&D department?

Wearing uncomfortable headphones.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #6,774 of 12,302
FYI, I'm selling my Focal Listens in the Classifieds if anyone is interested. They're every bit as good as @hansotek says, but I hate their earpads, and I haven't found a suitable replacement.

In related news, I'll be looking for something good and portable starting now.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #6,775 of 12,302
FYI, I'm selling my Focal Listens in the Classifieds if anyone is interested. They're every bit as good as @hansotek says, but I hate their earpads, and I haven't found a suitable replacement.

In related news, I'll be looking for something good and portable starting now.

I'm glad you liked the sound. That reminds me, I should probably open the 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear and start working on impressions. That's going to be another sweet value headphone when it is released. Need to see how it fares with metal!

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #6,776 of 12,302
Not just competitive offerings, but everyone has started throwing more money towards advertising and attending head-fi meets/canjams/audio shows where-as before most of what I personally seen was a select 3 names. One of those names still spends the most without question... and they aren't in the headphone manufacturing business. *wink*

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #6,777 of 12,302
I'm glad you liked the sound. That reminds me, I should probably open the 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear and start working on impressions. That's going to be another sweet value headphone when it is released. Need to see how it fares with metal!

Let me know!

I'm sure it's a good headphone, but I assume it will have rolled-off treble and be too warm.

Let me know if it's similar in sound to the Listen or PM-3.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #6,778 of 12,302

I think they are more focused on widening their product line rather than perfecting one.
I think maybe they want to be like Sennheiser at some point(they have everything in every category, even gaming and cheap replaceable earbuds, etc).

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #6,779 of 12,302

Yeah, that's probably true, mrspeakers has really expanded their line since the original ether. I think the aeon will succeed where the el8 failed 

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #6,780 of 12,302
Not just competitive offerings, but everyone has started throwing more money towards advertising and attending head-fi meets/canjams/audio shows where-as before most of what I personally seen was a select 3 names. One of those names still spends the most without question... and they aren't in the headphone manufacturing business. *wink*

that's true, but I DUNU what you meant by the one who spends the most, thought it was hifiman or schiit 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back