Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 6, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #6,271 of 12,293
A new flagship every ******* year. Breaking the mold. Killin' it HFM! Sigh.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #6,273 of 12,293
Hey guys, I asked Sludge over on the lest's talk metal forum, but I'm going to ask some of you. I teach in a high school. I'll sometimes talk to kids about how they listen to music. I'm just interested in how kids access music. My daughter for instance who is 17 never buys music-she only listens to Spotify.

Would you make a suggestion for HS/college kids that have less than $500 for a set-up? I'm not really tapped that well into that side of the market right now. My first purchase was an Asgard-2 in 2012 and Grado 225. The market's changed a lot since then. What's out there for someone that can barely scrape $300 or so?

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #6,274 of 12,293
Hey guys, I asked Sludge over on the lest's talk metal forum, but I'm going to ask some of you. I teach in a high school. I'll sometimes talk to kids about how they listen to music. I'm just interested in how kids access music. My daughter for instance who is 17 never buys music-she only listens to Spotify.

Would you make a suggestion for HS/college kids that have less than $500 for a set-up? I'm not really tapped that well into that side of the market right now. My first purchase was an Asgard-2 in 2012 and Grado 225. The market's changed a lot since then. What's out there for someone that can barely scrape $300 or so?

Fulla 2 - $99
Hd6xx - $199

Best bargain setup in audio. The 6xx will even scale if you end up getting kilobuck equipment later down the line.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #6,275 of 12,293
Fulla 2 - $99
Hd6xx - $199

Best bargain setup in audio. The 6xx will even scale if you end up getting kilobuck equipment later down the line.

Seriously hoping for a second drop on these (6xx) things for those wanting them.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #6,276 of 12,293
Fulla 2 - $99
Hd6xx - $199

Thanks mystictryk!  That sounds like a great set-up especially if it works for metal for the young metalhead. I've always heard the HD 600 and 650 are picky with amps. But, that sounds like a killer low cost answer.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #6,277 of 12,293

As a teacher in HS do you find that your students are more concerned with being one of the cool kids by sporting Beats than they are with a better SQ?

​My son is in 7th grade and his peers def fall into former category.  

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #6,278 of 12,293

It seems to me that people that age value mobility above all else.

I would recommend a good pair of iems (Dunu Titan 3 maybe) and a Dragonfly Black or Red.

I just traded an iBasso D14 portable amp, with was nice but I think convincing kids that carrying around this extra gear might be a hard sell.

Unless they're into gaming, I think a desktop amp and open headphones would be a tough sell.

Just my two cents.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #6,279 of 12,293
  As a teacher in HS do you find that your students are more concerned with being one of the cool kids by sporting Beats than they are with a better SQ?

​My son is in 7th grade and his peers def fall into former category.  

Yeah, I think that's true. First off, I'm a special ed teacher-I work with kids with intellectual disabilities. I'll sometimes strike up a conversation with general education students that aren't in my class or the young 20 somethings that work in supporting roles in the school-para educators, interpreters and so on. When the students are out-usually after school-I'll plug in my Grados into an old Nuforce Icon DAC/amp and listen to Bandcamp or whatever while I'm working in the room. I can't use a streaming service because the school computers have some kind of a restriction-probably for students-just as they do for Facebook. It's against school policy.

But, I find I listen to Bandcamp from my work PC because the sound out of my Icon is so much better-even with my 225 or RS1 than than my Ipod which I often take with me to work in and then to the gym if I grab a work out. I'd like to buy another "work" HP someday, but working in a school, I wouldn't want something super pricey in case it was stolen. I just keep my Grados in a unlocked desk drawer. 

My  kids will ask me occasionally, and sometimes, someone will wander in my room after school and ask about the gear. I'm always hesitant to tell them about what I listen to at home because I know the price tag would send them running for the hills even though I consider my system pretty middle of the road price wise.

But, even with my Nuforce which I bought used for about $100 and a used  Grado 225 which I think is the sweet price point in the SR series, I tell people for $200 give or take if you buy used, you can seriously bump up what you're hearing out of the computer with your crappy earbuds.

But, yes, most kids, shoot most young adults want Beats....just go to any gym and you'll see that or walking down the street in NYC you'll see them all over the place. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6,280 of 12,293
$500 at that age. Dayam! Things have changed. 

+1 for Fulla 2 but @shuto77 is right; they probs want mobility.

Honestly though, telling a kid that age to buck the trend when their buddies are all getting Beats is like smashing your head against a brick wall.

However, if they are open minded, I'd say defo closed back (the few teens with open back get really annoying on public transport). Something portable from Focal Listen maybe. They sound awesome and look cool. And are about 35 times as good as anything I've seen kids using. 

Amp/Dac wise, you don't get much better than Fiio E18 which pairs well with an Android and they can use it for computer too.

Dragonfly 2 - again Shuto77 - very good. 

Also, tell 'em to stop listening to Drake or whatever. That's half the problem. Lol

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #6,281 of 12,293
=I would recommend introducing them to V-Moda, I have converted a bunch of teens into audiophiles through sporting my M100, V-Moda's approach is from the DJ side of things, which is more relatable for teens. The headphones look quite badass too. Make them buy M100/M80, the rest (sources/amps etc.) will follow when they google the headphones and end up on head-fi :D

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #6,282 of 12,293
I am also a high school teacher (physics) and I have had much luck getting my novice metal heads into Chinese iems. Cheaper, and sound awesome. As long as the iems have good thump the kids really notice the improved sq and it works out of their phone just fine.

In fact, I have given away several of my iem tests that I got for fun and don't use anymore. A 17 year old metalhead moving from apple buds to lz a2 (for example) is shocking for them. Then I point them where to find good metal, rather than the mainstream stuff they listen to.... :)

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #6,284 of 12,293
I like exploring as much as the next guy but a lot of mainstream metal is good dude

Sorry, I should not have said mainstream. I should have said basically 80s and 90s metal that was mainstream. For example, they go bananas over Opeth (which we all would think of as mainstream)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back