Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #6,256 of 12,293
Jan 6, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #6,259 of 12,293
  lol $6,000. Man, sounds like these companies are battling over top price in market.

That amp is gigantic... I don't think anyone could have taken that. I guess hifiman was trying to one up the orpheus 2

Im disgusted with the price war this hobby is going thru....Very few people i know can afford 6k for a pair of headphones,let alone 55,000.....Mere mortals like me must be satisfied with the leftovers. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #6,261 of 12,293
As if the he1000 wasn't already overpriced enough... I guess hifiman saw the he1000 dropping closer to $2000 these days so they had to find out a way to get the most expensive headphone back up again. Honestly don't think they will be much better than the he1000. But if it's more expensive, it must be way better right??

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #6,262 of 12,293
As if the he1000 wasn't already overpriced enough... I guess hifiman saw the he1000 dropping closer to $2000 these days so they had to find out a way to get the most expensive headphone back up again. Honestly don't think they will be much better than the he1000. But if it's more expensive, it must be way better right??

Im guessing I will be able to afford an HE1000 by 2018 when you will see them going for sub 1k

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #6,264 of 12,293
But surely by 2018, the He1000 will be a crappy headphone totally outclassed by the newer releases
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #6,265 of 12,293
  But surely by 2018 the He1000 will be a crappy headphone totally outclassed by newer releases
wink_face.gif

This!

The hobby is keeping many of us in that never-ending upgrade-itis mode,never being completely satisfied with what we own,knowing (or fearing)that what we have,however good it might be,isnt quite as good as it can be...sheesh
frown.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #6,268 of 12,293
On the Edition 6, I'm surprised there wasn't anything on this yesterday, but I guess cat is out of the bag. I heard the Edition 6 is quite impressive, but still needs a little work. My friend listened to it Wednesday evening and said it is "very crisp and balanced," and "made the HEK sound colored in comparison." He said he still preferred the Utopia, at least at this point.

I think the Edition 6 is more "proof of concept" at this point for some first-of-its-kind magnet tech that Fang has designed - "patent-pending double-sided 'stealth' magnets" is what I heard.

Before you get too bent out of shape on pricing, realize that this is the kind of tech that usually trickles down to more affordable models. Remember the HEX followed not too long after the HEK (10 months) at half the price, and now, a year later, it can easily be had for under $1k. I would look for a couple other interesting HFM headphones based on the same tech around RMAF time.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #6,269 of 12,293
On the Edition 6, I'm surprised there wasn't anything on this yesterday, but I guess cat is out of the bag. I heard the Edition 6 is quite impressive, but still needs a little work. My friend listened to it Wednesday evening and said it is "very crisp and balanced," and "made the HEK sound colored in comparison." He said he still preferred the Utopia, at least at this point.

I think the Edition 6 is more "proof of concept" at this point for some first-of-its-kind magnet tech that Fang has designed - "patent-pending double-sided 'stealth' magnets" is what I heard.

Before you get too bent out of shape on pricing, realize that this is the kind of tech that usually trickles down to more affordable models. Remember the HEX followed not too long after the HEK (10 months) at half the price, and now, a year later, it can easily be had for under $1k. I would look for a couple other interesting HFM headphones based on the same tech around RMAF time.

New tech is usually cool - and very expensive, you're correct that it often results in the "trickle-down" effect in the following months and years.

As far as pricing goes, well, if people think it's too expensive, they shouldn't buy it. If sales are low enough, HFM will be forced to discount it.

While HFM's build quality is questionable at times, no one can say they're not trying to push the envelope with their technology, which will ultimately cause their competitors to up their games as well. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #6,270 of 12,293
Oh good, so in 10 months we will have a $3k headphone using this trickle down tech, thank you Hifiman!

What envelope have they been pushing? Look, I really like some of their headphones. The HE560 is one of my favorites, but let's not kid ourselves. Most of it is cheaply made plastic with quality control issues. Plenty of other planar headphone makers out there that are pushing this so-called "envelope".

Audeze may have driver issues but at least they stand by their products with good build quality and a very good warranty.

Besides, at the rate Hifiman throws out new "flagships", might as well wait until next year for the $8k edition 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back