Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 8, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #6,302 of 12,293
  cool, didn't think they were semi open but that sounds good. Too bad the price is sky high though

idk, from what I know/read even though it is closed, it does leak sound.
I can't exactly call that closed..

I actually tried bring me the horizon, I think they are alright, certainly would listen to them from time to time.
Out of the big4, I also like Megadeth the most, insane guitar work on their stuff.
I never like Anthrax and I feel like big 4 should be Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Testament.

yup, the genre we like is very diverse and also has the most loyal followers out of all genres, based on fact and research LOL.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #6,303 of 12,293
  idk, from what I know/read even though it is closed, it does leak sound.
I can't exactly call that closed..

I actually tried bring me the horizon, I think they are alright, certainly would listen to them from time to time.
Out of the big4, I also like Megadeth the most, insane guitar work on their stuff.
I never like Anthrax and I feel like big 4 should be Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Testament.

yup, the genre we like is very diverse and also has the most loyal followers out of all genres, based on fact and research LOL.

cool, you seem open minded as well. I completely agree on the anthrax treatment, I don't like them much either, it's pretty much megadeth and chill for me.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #6,304 of 12,293
Russian Chrystmas update of spreadsheet, added AKG K545, AKG K7XX, Audeze Sine, Fostex TH-610, Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, Hifiman HE-1000, MrSpeakers ETHER, MrSpeakers ETHER C, Ultrasone Edition 12, EnigmAcoustics Dharma D1000, Stax SR-407.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #6,306 of 12,293
inb4 the incoming hate, I actually listen to a good amount of metalcore, like a good 50% chunk of my metal is just that. I know the genre gets a bad reputation for bands like bring me the horizon, asking alexandria, and the general scene kids like that but it is often overlooked. The metalcore I listen to is the ones with the deep down to earth and philosophical lyrics and amazing guitar riffs. As I lay dying, trivium, haste the day basically. Definitely throwing in the older killswitch engage for lyrical content, not a whole lot of bands but definitely gets the most head time.

I listen to a couple melodic death metal bands like the old in flames, I'm not a thrash guy by any means but I love megadeth. All shall perish is good but I can't stand their terrible recording quality, so I stick to the old as blood runs black, not a huge deathcore fan but those are the two bands I like. A couple other bands that I don't keep track of the exact genre are battlecross, shadows fall, iron maiden, lamb of god, stone sour, and solution .45

I prefer death to black, and core to progressive. I think the metal genre is the most diverse out of them all so I don't like limiting myself to a set of genres though. Most of the metal I like is for the lyrics and melodic riffs.

Dude no hatred should come your way! People should remember their opinions are just that: opinions.

I love KSE too man but I prefer Jesse Leach to Howard Jones so the last two albums are my fave. Trivium too (In Waves was epic). Check out these bands (and albums) if you haven't already...Adept (Silence the World), Dreamshade (Vibrant), Nonpoint (The Poison Red), Walls of Jericho...

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #6,307 of 12,293
btw, I just watched a Sony MDR-Z1R in youtube, seems like a perfect headphone for metal, also like the fact that it is semi-closed.

Dude, it's stellar with metal! In fact, when I popped it on for the first time at RMAF, Children of Bodom was already playing!

Great speed, impact and clarity. Terrific sound signature - not harsh, but not overly laid-back either. Sounds especially great with Sony's uber-priced desktop amp... I heard it with a few other amps and they never measured up.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #6,308 of 12,293
Dude, it's stellar with metal! In fact, when I popped it on for the first time at RMAF, Children of Bodom was already playing!

Great speed, impact and clarity. Terrific sound signature - not harsh, but not overly laid-back either. Sounds especially great with Sony's uber-priced desktop amp... I heard it with a few other amps and they never measured up.

oh ****! now I want one, lol.

my Ether sounds good with metal too, but I listen for a long time everyday, and after a while it does get fatiging due to it being a little bright.

how's the mids?
I'm just worried that it might be a little too v-shaped for me.
I like forward mids with excellent bass and fatigue-free treble.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #6,309 of 12,293
Dude no hatred should come your way! People should remember their opinions are just that: opinions.

I love KSE too man but I prefer Jesse Leach to Howard Jones so the last two albums are my fave. Trivium too (In Waves was epic). Check out these bands (and albums) if you haven't already...Adept (Silence the World), Dreamshade (Vibrant), Nonpoint (The Poison Red), Walls of Jericho...

lol, I like dreamshade too, melodeath with metalcore vocal style

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #6,311 of 12,293
There's a particularly heavy headphone that's rather expensive which comes to mind and meets those criterias. Lol. I suspect the weight will be a no-go for the duration you're talking about. I never develop a hot spot. If I wear my LCD-4 ~8 hours per day, 7 days in a row, it can start to become fatiguing depending on how physically active I was. If I slept like an idiot and have a tired neck, a kink in it,or sore shoulders -- I skip that day entirely. No way around it.

The Ether is still one of the most comfortable headphones period. Easily the most comfortable planar.

I tried The LCD series before, it is as you said very suitable for metal, however again as you said the weight is just too heavy for me. rather put up with the ear fatigue then neck fatigue LOl.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #6,312 of 12,293

Did you have the chance to compare the Z1R with the Atticus ? :wink:

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #6,314 of 12,293
Did you have the chance to compare the Z1R with the Atticus ?
wink.gif

No, not yet. The final Atticus was not finished yet when I heard the Z1R. From memory, I'm quite sure they are similarly enjoyable, but the Sony is the more technically proficient headphone. Both are a little bit picky on amps but not overly so. On their ideal amp setups (IMHO - from what I have heard, YMMV) though, you're talking about a significant difference in price:

Sony MDR-Z1 ($2,299) + TA-ZH1ES ($2,199) = $4,448

ZMF Atticus ($999) + Decware CSP3 ($1,299) = $2,298

Make no mistake, that Sony is playing in rarified air sound-wise - it is absolutely awesome. But as nice as the Sony setup is, I'd gladly take the ZMF & Decware setup and $2,150 in savings instead.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #6,315 of 12,293
Like with any label/genre, it can become stigmatized. There are most certainly plenty of examples of terrible bands in each and every one of them from a subjective perspective. Lol. I too enjoy some MDM and core fusion genres. There's no need to be embarrassed by what you listen to. No reason to receive flack for it either.

Cool, appreciate your words. I'm a proud fan of as i lay dying, but I'm just used to the one too many times I have to explain myself on why metalcore as an entire genre can't be judged for a couple bands, and why it is considered a real metal genre lol. My favorite a7x song is sidewinder, never heard of MDM but will give it a go

Thanks for being reasonable, the response I got here was better than the other metal thread lol. Never heard of those at all, will check them out. I love Jesse Leach too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back